New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Worm or something in shrimp tank

Started by Selenacrowe, May 22, 2017, 09:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selenacrowe

I have this weird worm in my tank of shrimp not sure what is is I'm doing a planeria treatment on tank but it seems like there is another one now

Any ideas on what to do?

Gilbotron

Is it flat and slinks along, or round and wiggly?  Former is a flatworm, latter is a roundworm - pic looks like roundworm but hard to tell.  Both harmless to flora and fauna, and usually a sign of overfeeding.  I've gotten them before (usually in small tanks when its tough to feed so little!).  Best way to rid yourself of them is stop feeding for 3-4 days (if you have fish - the fish will eat them).  If you only have shrimp in the tank, not sure if the shrimp will eat them - so reduce feeding quantity and frequency (maybe use a feeding dish for a couple weeks and make sure you remove it after a couple mins so there is no excess food in the tank?).  Amanos should eat them (mine do), not sure about other shrimp types. 

Generally speaking, if you can see them on the glass or gravel, then they are harmless.  There are also probably more under the gravel so to be sure you are free of them, keep food scarce for a couple weeks. 

Selenacrowe

It's round and wiggly will reduce feeding for next few weeks thanks so much for help!