New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cherry shrimp dying in community tank?

Started by matttimms49, September 18, 2017, 04:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn84

In the shrimp world don't go too crazy if all shrimp die once they get into your tank. There can be many factors that cause them to die. Main factor most of the time is poor acclaimed procedure. A drip system should be done for all shrimp. This process can take anywhere from 45min to an hour and a half more sensitive shrimp I go for even 3 hours long. Set the drip to about a drop every 3 sec. Sometime even buying from a trusted source doesn't mean the survival rate are high. Also you have to consider red cherry shrimp have been inbred so much that sometime they are not as resilient as you might think they are. Your water paremeter is fine for cherry. So I would suggest buy some more drip it and see if they still die.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

matttimms49

OK I guess I will try a few more shrimp as my water parameters seem stable and suitable. With the drip system isnt the water temperature going to drop to low if you drip acclimate them over hours?

cheers

Kalinkacat

How do you set up a drip system?  Fill a bag with water, put a hole in it and suspend it over the shrimp bag?  Is there another way?

charlie

Quote from: Kalinkacat on September 22, 2017, 07:35:11 AM
How do you set up a drip system?  Fill a bag with water, put a hole in it and suspend it over the shrimp bag?  Is there another way?
Here is the general idea, the bending of the rigid tubing is a nice tip but can be done without it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Qj83nbRWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSFYHpj9bIg

matttimms49

thanks for the links. I wanted to make the big als version but I can't find right angle connectors anywhere!

Gilbotron

All you need is airline tubing and something to clip it to the tank.  Clothespin or alligator clip works great, or just close the canopy on it which is what I usually do.

Take the airline tubing and tie 2 knots in it (one after the other).  Make the knots loose, start the siphon, then tighten/loosen the knots to get the desired drip speed.  No need for connectors or extra hardware.

matttimms49

Ok so I bought a small airline valve and made a drip acclimate thingie. Thanks for the advice on that guys, I also covered my intake with a small sponge a fun purchased some more shrimp. I went for a more expensive risk of getting a few bloody Mary shrimp. They seem good so far let's see.

The crazy thing was after they had been in the tank for an hour one of the cherry shrimp popped out of no where! Only 1 but a female with eggs. Really drives me crazy because I did alot of planting after the garage sale last weekend and didn't see any and have been looking for them for a couple of weeks. Maybe she was scared and came out once the others were in the tank?

But I will keep you updated. All levels seem ok for keeping shrimp so fingers crossed!

Jellyanne

I lost shrimp in a 10 gallons, I was sure they died but when I decided to empty the tank I left some water in it and removed most of the things. Well there was 4 left!
So in a nicely planted 40 gallons, I would not expect to see them often!
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

Laura

Hi, What do you have in the community tank with them? They are very low on the food chain, is it possible something ate them?
700 gal pond - Rosy reds