New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How old is OVAS?

Started by BigDaddy, July 25, 2006, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddy

This is the most conclusive evidence we have to date

An OVAS newsletter dated April 1969 says that the club celebrated its 15th anniversary on March 27 of that year.  So, that would mean that the club was operational in 1955.

Interestingly, the newsletter says it was attended by 70 people out of a total enrollment of 77.  The auction had over 170 items available.

Also a cool point, Dr. Herbert Axelrod is listed as an Honourary Member!

If anyone has any hard and fast info that would put the club's activities earlier than 1955, I would be happy to hear of it.

The newsletter is going to be scanned soon and available as a PDF file on the website.

Otherwise, we are 2 years late in celebrating our golden anniversary (in case you missed the cake in May)

Julie

Oh my goodness BD, I had no idea you were that old.

Anyways it's all a good thing.  ;)

BigDaddy

After some further reading, I found the official date the club was created on.

March 11, 1954

az

Quote from: BigDaddy on July 25, 2006, 08:59:21 PM
After some further reading, I found the official date the club was created on.

March 11, 1954

wow!
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

darkdep

Very cool.

I've dug up a nugget of info from some of the old OVAS newsletters from around the 1989-1990 timeframe.  There are editorials in there talking about a joint project between the City of Ottawa, the Museum of Natural Science, and OVAS to set up a public aquarium in Ottawa.  From the sound of things, they were getting quite close to having it happen and the City was going to fund it.

Any oldtimers remember this or know what happened?

pegasus

BD, did you get these newsletters from Dr. Peter Rubec, if not I'll try to reach him again. One more thing... I think I saw the name of two of our most beloved presidents in the name of a forum member, maybe this person would have more info.

pegasus

Quote from: DarkDep on July 26, 2006, 07:51:01 AM
Very cool.

I've dug up a nugget of info from some of the old OVAS newsletters from around the 1989-1990 timeframe.  There are editorials in there talking about a joint project between the City of Ottawa, the Museum of Natural Science, and OVAS to set up a public aquarium in Ottawa.  From the sound of things, they were getting quite close to having it happen and the City was going to fund it.

I do and maybe so would Limmer (Peter) We all worked hard for this project. We were even looking for land on the Lebreton's Flats or in Aylmer. The person in charge of the project died a couple of years ago.

BigDaddy

Quote from: Pegasus on July 26, 2006, 07:54:36 AM
BD, did you get these newsletters from Dr. Peter Rubec, if not I'll try to reach him again. One more thing... I think I saw the name of two of our most beloved presidents in the name of a forum member, maybe this person would have more info.

Actually pegasus, BigMomma got the newsletters from the National Library.  We will likely be scanning them and making them available online.

gmueller

Thats wild, i had no clue that ovas has been for like 52 years.
congrats on surviving.
the only other club that i am aware of that has survived for decadeds are the freemsons

once again congrats

darkdep

LOL the freemasons have been around a bit longer than OVAS I think :)

mseguin

The Question is...how many freemasons ahve been OVAS members?  :o

gmueller

Quote from: mseguin on July 28, 2006, 08:55:00 PM
The Question is...how many freemasons ahve been OVAS members?  :o

Thats true

rockgarden

Was this a TEST question? Don't know.

It's an interesting topic though and hopefully BD you will be able to find more info around.  I know that, in my case, I was a member of the Regina Aquarium Society executive back in the 70's.  I recently mentionned to one of their executive that I will be supplying them with scanned images of photos that I took of RAS events back then (assuming that I can find the originals eventually  ::).One of the benefits of the digital era - scanned images.

Ron

GlaziersDaughter

I remeber the joint project for the aquarium, it caused quite a stir in the membership, some for, others against.  The original idea was to incorperate OVAS along with a bunch of other legal stuff in order to get certain funding etc.  It started out messy... then eventually disappeared..

I must say I do miss the people though, Murray Latoure, Terry Bryant, xxxx Koontz (honourary lifetime member and breeder of incredible discus) The Cass boys and so many more.

Quote from: DarkDep on July 26, 2006, 07:51:01 AM
Very cool.

Sue

Steve Cass is still a member, he might be one of the Cass boys you mention.

GlaziersDaughter

Steve Cass was one of the Cass boys, tonnes of chichlids ..... tanks taking up most of the basement of the house.  Back in the days when there was best planted tank show and best live bearer etc and the judges spent the day going from house to house in the competition.  Many were bribed with coffee and home made goodies... though we were all assured it never swayed the judges.  xxxx even refused to judge my bumble bee goby because he declared it too small to be seen... that we never let him live down...   I spent my childhood growing up in OVAS and became the youngest board member at the age of 14.  Jar Show Chairman (or woman in this case).  Alot of memories...

PaleoFishGirl

We'd love to hear more about the history of the club! Maybe there are some fun things that used to be done that we could re-institue :D

Sue

Steve still has wall to wall tanks downstairs! Or at least he did last time I was there. His parents are really nice too. His Dad comes out to club once in a while too. You should try to make the sept meeting and touch base with him.

fishycanuck

Can we have another cake anyway? :-*

dan2x38

Quote from: GlaziersDaughter on September 22, 2006, 03:01:20 PM
I remeber the joint project for the aquarium, it caused quite a stir in the membership, some for, others against.  The original idea was to incorperate OVAS along with a bunch of other legal stuff in order to get certain funding etc.  It started out messy... then eventually disappeared..

I must say I do miss the people though, Murray Latoure, Terry Bryant, xxxx Koontz (honourary lifetime member and breeder of incredible discus) The Cass boys and so many more.

Wow what a history lesson! I was not even born when this club was first in exsistance. Very successful! The fact that 70 out of 77 attended a meeting is excellent. That is a turn out of 91% of the club membership. Be some meeting today at 91% turn out!
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."