New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How old is OVAS?

Started by BigDaddy, July 25, 2006, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMomma

Thank you for reviving this post ... I kind of forgot about it! I would like to hear more of what the Club was like in the 60s and 70s if anyone here would care to give us a little more history...

I still have in my possession those Newsletters from Library and Archives (I will have to return them at some point), I just don't have a scanner ... I thought it would be swell to have pdf versions on the site so that everyone could benefit from it. Maybe the new Librarian can figure out a way to do this ... right Peter? ;)

What I noticed is that they use to put a lot of time and effort into their articles back then, which were typed on a typewriter not equipped with spell check (still they did a terrific job without it). Most of the adds were hand-drawn, they also had quizzes and crosswords. Also, what I found especially interesting (besides discovering the founding date) was that they had Junior Club members and their own little executive body ... What a swell idea, making the hobby a family thing and why not ... its a great thing for kids to learn and to grow up with!

dan2x38

how many pages per newsletter? I would help scan them and create as PDFs... let me know my hands are idol... you know the addage, "Idol hands are the devil's worship"... might keep me out of some trouble...  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

busdriver

OVAS is almost as old as I am ;) :)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

kennyman

OVAS deserves to have a little biography on this site.

I would love to read those newsletter PDF's in the articles/info section.

I can ask my dear ladylove if she would let us use her office and equipment at Algonquin College to scan the newsletters and burn some roms.

fender316

that's crazy I would have never thought...... I assumed it was just a fish forum, they didnt have internet back then though!  So when did OVAS become an online club?

Sue

Its not an 'online' club, meetings start up again in Sept., and there's things like the BBQ and house tour going on this month.

beowulf

dpatte

Quote from: BigDaddy on July 25, 2006, 08:59:21 PM
After some further reading, I found the official date the club was created on.

March 11, 1954

Almost two months to date before my 0th birthday!

dan2x38

This thread was pointed out to me again. I was looking for some club history. Some cool info. in the thread give it a read.

Some interesting names in here does anyone know of them today? How to contact them? Whether they'd talk to us? Maybe attend a meeting or two? Any info. on past members or club history would be appreciated.
Voltaire:

BigDaddy

Dude.. talk about Frankenposting!

dan2x38

Voltaire:

dan2x38

I wanted to hopefully get some real info. about OVAS' past?  :-[
Voltaire:

charlie

Quote from: BigDaddy on August 19, 2008, 04:35:31 PM
Dude.. talk about Frankenposting!
This is good reading, & maybe can be cross checked with the research that Andre did and posted to make one article that is prominently displayed on the home page & the forum .
As the saying goes, "we need to know where we came from before we can get to where we want to go " or something to that effect  :P
So excuse the  Frankenposting! :P :P
A worthy bump