New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How to Properly apply an Aquarium Background

Started by darkdep, October 23, 2006, 01:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

I had a chance to try out the Vaseline method of attaching a vinyl aquarium background, and the results were awesome.  Thought I'd post a quick howto for anyone who wants to try it.

The results are NIGHT AND DAY over just taping one on.

You will need:

• Vinyl (or fairly water resistant) Aquarium Background, cut larger than your tank
  • Scissors
  • Jar of Vaseline (I used Vaseline Brand, but in theory any petroleum jelly should work)
  • Utility knife / razor blade
  • Old Credit Card
  • Paper Towels or old cloth Towel

Procedure:

Ideally, the tank should be empty and you should have full access to the back and sides.  I drained the tanks I used and turned them around. 

First get the background cut to the right dimensions.  You will want it to slightly overlap both sides (you'll trim that later).  Also, you'll be putting the background underneath the tank trim, so assume the background will go right to the top of the glass and cut accordingly.  Cut it slightly smaller than the full height, but assume the gap will be at the bottom...because when it's under the trim it's visible from the front, and the bottom will be covered by substrate.  Make sure you TEST FIT the background under the (tom and bottom) trim and make sure it will sit flat.  Trim as necessary.  You can notch the top and bottom corners so they fit under the trim, but leave the sides protruding from the glass by 1/8 - 1/4 inch or so...you will need this.

Now, use your hands to apply a thin layer of vaseline over the entire tank back.  You will not really end up using very much.  Spread it around as best you can, making sure to get all the glass.  Especially make sure to get it right down to the tank trim and right to the side edges of the glass.

Now put the background in place as best you can, sliding first under the top trim, then into the bottom.  Get it as flat as possible.  If there are any obvious bubbles, it's because the background isn't flat...it's twisted somehow.  It's a little hard to slide it around with the vaseline but just work slowly.

Once you have it flat against the back it's time to seal it against the glass.  This is where the credit card comes in.  Start at the top middle of the glass and scrape hard pulling towards one side.  If looking from the front you will see a "wave" of excess vaseline being scraped out.  Once you hit the edge you'll likely get a big blob of vaseline.  Just scrape it up with the card and wipe it on a paper towel or an old cloth towel.  Now, continue to scrape, overlapping your strokes, until one side is done.  Now, do it again.  Keep doing it until no more vaseline is coming out.  Then, do the other side of the tank.  Once done, if you can, do some full strokes in both directions to make sure you have squeezed out all air and have the background as flat against the glass as possible.

Once this is done, use the utility knife / razor blade to trim the sides flush with the tank glass.

Use paper towel to remove any vaseline that made it onto the sides of the tank.  Try not to get much on the sides cause it's hard to remove.

Lastly, take a vaseline-coated finger and rub it over the edge of the background sides...this will help with keeping air/water out.

Although I didn't do this, you could in theory pull off the top trim of your tank and trim perfectly to the top edge of the glass, but I didn't go that far.

The end result is stunning.  It looks like the background is inside the tank.

BigMomma

We've done all of our tanks this way and the results are terrific if you follow those instructions. I agree that for stunning results you need to measure properly and definitely test fit before you actually apply ... once you've got that vaseline on its a little tricky to cut after the fact ...

Another little trick is for larger tanks we use a small hardcover book instead of a credit card since you have more real estate to cover. It also helps when you can get a second pair of hands to help out!
We never tape anymore, we vaseline!!! :D

darkdep

Good idea on the book!  I started using a plastic drywall knife and it just didn't work well...the knife wasn't stiff enough.  Never thought of a book.

babblefish1960

Quote from: DarkDep on October 23, 2006, 01:38:39 PM
Never thought of a book.

The irony in this telling statement shall have me amused for years to come, enjoy your reading material. :D

BigMomma

Quote from: babblefish1960 on October 23, 2006, 01:41:25 PM
The irony in this telling statement shall have me amused for years to come, enjoy your reading material. :D
LOL

Definition of a 'book' for applying a background:
- not a library book
- especially not an OVAS library book
- not your children's books
- a book you own and have read and care no longer about

This message brought to you by an employee of Library and Archives Canada  ;D

darkdep

That's why I never thought of a book.  Whatever you use will get covered with vaseline and it'll never come off completely :)

artw

Books, Libraries,  what are these things you speak of?
Vaseline.. hmm. I recently switched from black bristol board to black vinyl, and even taped on, the difference is night and day.  I don't see myself moving the 90 g any time soon, but for my next tank, I will definately try this method. thanks DD!

darkdep

Yeah, the teardown is a hassle.  I have invested about 3 hours so far and have only done 2 of 8 tanks...sigh...

bitterman

I've heard of people doing the same as above using vegtable oil and spraying a small amount of the glass and then appling the background. The suface tension of the oil holds the background in place. Eventually the oil will dry out and the background is almost permanent.

Bruce

PaleoFishGirl

Quote from: DarkDep on October 23, 2006, 02:26:21 PM
Yeah, the teardown is a hassle.  I have invested about 3 hours so far and have only done 2 of 8 tanks...sigh...

Hang in there, it will be worth it!

darkdep

Yes, it will.  The two that are done so far look GREAT.

artw

to get the same effect, people can also apply gloss black paint to the back of the tank. (not the water side).  I did this for 2 40's a few years ago and they looked probably exactly like what Darkdep is looking at.
but yeah, paint is kinda permanent.

darkdep

I've heard good things about the gloss paint as well, but as you said, it's pretty permanent.

artw

it's actually not overly hard to remove with a good paint remover, especially if you use latex or acrylic, but its more of a pain in the butt/messy. 

FishBuddy

One question for you DD (and others)...

What is your take on long term effects of vaseline touching the silcone seal of the aquarium???  Does vaseline deteriorates (softens) silicone seal????

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

fishycanuck

You could use Aqua Glide, or KY.... but I digress.  ;D

UCGrafix

Hey Dark,

Thanks for sharing : )
I have been thingking of doing this exact process with my new tank since I read it on the forum earlier this year, it sound terrific.

One question to those who have done this in the past.
How long will this process last, without me having to reapply the background and achieve the new fresh applied look ?
Are we talking many years ?

darkdep

darkdep

From what I read, the consensus is that it should last many years if done properly / you're lucky.

With regards to the vaseline / silicone combo, I don't believe there would be any effect.  Googling the two together comes back with many links where the two are actually used together in some products.

PaleoFishGirl

Just applying a background by misting the back of your tank with water and smoothing the background on (using a credit card or, heaven forbid, a book!) can last years if you don't move the tank, so I imagine that the method outlined here will last even longer.