New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Why Add Styrofoam Under Your Aquarium?

Started by NetCop, November 24, 2007, 11:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetCop

Okay, I seem to have the just of why people use styrofoam under thier tanks but I thought I would make this thread as perhaps one of the experts here could go into detail as to:

-Why would someone add styrofoam under thier aquarium?
-Is it recommended or just a preference?
-How thick should the styrofoam be?
-Where are the good places, best prices to purchase styrofoam?
-Etc...

I thought this would be a good thread to inform those new to the hobby.

Okay Experts... Your Turn!

Dr. Ashtray

I have never used Styrofoam but I would imagine it would have a dampening effect on the shock waves produced by all motion outside the tank.  I usually put some double or triple walled cardboard for the same effect.  Well, I mean, Styrofoam would probably be better but is usually not handy when I am putting a tank together.  If I were to use Styrofoam I would probably use a higher quality that that white crap they use to pack televisions.  I would probably go with Styrofoam rail they use for highways if you can snag some of that.  It is a very dense and weather resistant grade of Styrofoam.  Other than that I would have to fill the rest of this with the literal/proverbial gravel in the fertilizer. 

Main purpose of Styrofoam thus is to keep the shocks of everyday life away from your prized co-inhabitants. 

Jeffrey...

Dr. Ashtray

Almost forgot about heat loss in the tank and how Styrofoam would insulate the bottom of the tank to help with that as well as keep the de-shock zone in effect.

Jeffrey...

babblefish1960

The original reason for adding styrofoam underneath a tank was based on two distinct factors.
The first being that the tank had the bottom plate truly on the bottom, whereas most tanks now are made with floating bottoms, in that they bottom pane of glass is not the bottom of the tank, it is suspended from within the tank about an inch usually from the base.

The second being that the surface which the tank usually resided upon was either homemade or a piece of furniture such as a dresser or such and as such was not always a truly flat surface.

These two conditions would meet together and create what were called stress risers in a tough and flexible homogeneous material that sadly has a distinct breaking point, with the usual accompanying sounds.  These stress risers would culminate in catastrophic failure from a single point in the two surfaces having so much pressure applied, and that often meant water everywhere all at once.

Why we still do it, is for similar reasons, but largely to meet two objectives, the first being that it is a good insulator for the tank to not lose, or sometimes gain heat too easily, and also to keep the irregular contact surfaces from creating these errant stress risers.  Busdriver can explain what happens when a stress riser erupts on the front panel of a 150 gallon tank with a 30" height.  It made a mess.

Do not be misled or mistaken in the belief that styrofoam will level a tank, it will never happen.  Your stand must be solid, secure, and perfectly level, and the styrofoam will iron out the little imperfections in either surface.

Any thickness is good, making certain that the mounting of tank onto the foam won't become imperiled by instability, but I use 1" commonly, and have lately been finding that the 5/8" foam is equally amusing.  I believe there is 1/2" as well, and by styrofoam, I do not mean the white packing foam, I am referring to the blue or pink extruded foam that is found at any hardware store.

PoisonJello

best place to buy: home depot, the pink stuff 1/2" or thicker and its cheap

darkdep

I always use 1/2in, and the white foam from Home Depot.  Put your tank on it, and cut it slowly with a sharp razor blade, and you can get it to the exact dimensions of your tank...you'll forget it's there.

KLKelly

I had followed this thread a while back when it was posted by someone else and I have to admit to it not making as much sense as it does now.  Attending that resealing workshop helped with some concepts that I wasn't understanding very well.

I need to take down my 90 gallon and redo it (levelling and styrofoam)!  Thanks for posting this again.

succinctfish

The larger the tank, the more important I think it is to use styrofoam, especially if, like me, the floor the tank is being supported by is less than level or solid.  It's insurance against the possibility of stress on the tank.  A leaky tank that could have been avoided is a distressing, depressing thing. Why have to reseal a tank, or risk an expensive tank crack with the resultant water damage and risk to the fish, when a less than $10 investment could have prevented that?  I walked in the door one time, and unexpectedly stepped in water, lots of water. I looked over frantically at a tank, and there are the fish, desperately trying to let me know that they are in only 6 inches of water, and it's going down fast.  :o  That was a stressful afternoon.  Better safe than sorry, I say.
Folks on the site when this subject has come up in the past, stated they have used various things underneath for support, exercise mats, white styrofoam, those interlocking foam things that people use in basements or for their kids to play on...  Cardboard is a new one to me, if you never spill or splash water I guess it works, but I'm far too messy for that. Pink styrofoam is my choice, I use 1/2 inch, super cheap, doesn't compress over time the way white styrofoam and exercise mats do, so it's a great long lasting, waterproof choice.  I have used one of those blue camping mats under a 40 gallon breeder, but I wouldn't use it under a bigger tank, as it did compress a fair bit. I don't bother with anything under the tank if it's 20 gallons or less, I just make sure with my trusty level, and shims under the stand, that all is well, which of course, is the most important step, level the stand, never the tank. ;)

beowulf

I've never done it but will be trying for the first time when I set up the 90g I got.  I am using it for the above mentioned reasons.

NetCop

I'm glad I set up this thread to inform those who were not sure (and it seems also to refresh the minds of others when this topic came up before... my bad fo rnot knowing this).

I will be moving my 100 gallon soon and will purchase some for it's new spot.
By the sounds of it, I'd be best/happiest going with the ½" pink stuff.

succinctfish

1/2 inch would be okay, but as you're looking at a 100 gallon tank, 1 inch would be ideal.  I use 1/2 inch for up to 65 gallons, for larger tanks, I use an inch.  Either way, good for you, and have fun moving your tank. (bend at the knees) :)

NetCop

Quote from: succinctfish on November 25, 2007, 07:32:47 PM
...bend at the knees :)

After bringing in the think up the stairs... to the top floor, I think this will be easy enough.
I think it's going ot be more of a hassle cleaning out the tank of it's contents and inhabitants before moving it then actually having to move it.

Now, to make plans to go shopping for the styrofoam! 8)

RoxyDog

but but...it's not asthecially pleasing?  what about those of us who don't want a big pink thing of styrofoam between my lovely tank bottom (especially with no black plastic rim, I like it rimless) and a black stand?  any idea?  both of my tanks are not level, and my vanity will sure bring me down (well I hope not!)...but I refuse to use styrofoam.   :-\
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

babblefish1960

Well in your case roxydog, besides needing to be certain that the stand is perfectly level, is give this a thought.  What I have done with my tanks, particularly as they are mostly wooden stands I constructed, I have made a mitred trim piece that encircles the tank along the styrofoam edge and high enough to cover the bottom plastic trim as well, it looks rather nice actually.  However, as you have a trimless tank, one suggestion that I have seen done convincingly well is jet black shiny electrical tape to cover the styrofoam in a nice way that can only be noticed upon close inspection.  Either that, or use a more stiff form of black rubber foam that is only about 1/8" thick.  It too can make a difference if you are concerned. :)

Adam

I emailed all glass aquariums about this awhile ago.  They suggested not to put styrofoam underneath an aquarium.  I can't remember their reasoning, but it had something to do with warranties and floating glass panes vs. plate glass bottoms.

Just for information, the 6' tank bottoms can support 10 000 psi, the 4' tank bottoms can support 8 000psi. 

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

audioslave_36

Jen you could get a nice piece of trim to go around them :)

I use 1" pink on all my tanks, from my 70g to my 220g, I have entirely to much water "suspended" in my house not to :) I even used on my store bought "recommended" stand and when I built my fish room an moved all my tanks into the walls, the foam that was under my 220g showed clear signs of compensation, so I would never go without it under my tanks.

veron

foam is never recommended for glass tanks! don't do it.
foam is recommended for acrylic tanks, reason being is that if theres any unlevelness or pock dips etc.. it could help even it out. use thin foam on acrylic bases.
as BIGDADDY mentioned pretty much all glass tanks have a plastic trim along the bottom that is in contact with the stand. if the foam was compressed enough it could pop the bottom out.
a solid stand is needed and most large tank makers prefer you buy there stand for warranty :)

succinctfish

Quote from: veron on November 26, 2007, 03:53:37 PM
if the foam was compressed enough it could pop the bottom out.

Hence the recommendation to use pink styrofoam which is rigid and compresses very little,  enough to compensate for unevenness in the stand, and also creaky old floors, but certainly the styrofoam never comes into contact with the glass bottom of the tank, so I don't see how it could pop it out.  The point is to cut it to the size of the tank, not to fit inside the bottom trim.

NetCop

Quote from: RoxyDog on November 26, 2007, 03:14:58 PM
but but...it's not asthecially pleasing?  what about those of us who don't want a big pink thing of styrofoam between my lovely tank bottom (especially with no black plastic rim, I like it rimless) and a black stand?  any idea?  both of my tanks are not level, and my vanity will sure bring me down (well I hope not!)...but I refuse to use styrofoam.   :-\

You could always cover the pink with...