Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

38G Reef Build

Started by xiaan, January 21, 2008, 01:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiaan

I have decided to move this thread to Saltwater General Discussions from here http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=22059.0  as the the tank is no longer a nano tank.

I have been busy acquiring the final parts to my system. Last week I had Pat (sniggir) drill two holes in my nice new tank for the drain. this week I am working on building my sump and plumbing the system. I am hoping to have water in the tank by February!

Here is a list of what I have acquired:
38G All Glass Tank
All Glass Pine Stand
Coralife Salt Mix 150 Gallon
Natural Wave Wave Timer
2 x MaxiJet 900
MaxiJet 1200
Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer - 9002
Jager 50 Watt Aquarium Heater (Eheim)
Hydor Koralia 1
Quiet One 1200
Aquasafe RODI Unit
Test Kit
Hydrometer
Sump (10G)
36" Nova Extreme Pro (http://current-usa.com/nova_extreme_pro)
Coralife Digital Power Center Timer
Carib Sea Arag-Alive! Bimini Pink 10lbs
Carib Sea Aragamax Sand-30 Lbs.

I will post some photos of the setup tonight!

xiaan

I have also been doing allot or research on what types of life I would like to have in my tank.

This is my wish list
Fish
Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis)
Firefish, Purple (Nemateleotris decora)
Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
Pajama Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
Court Jester Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)

Inverts
Astrea Snail (Astraea tecta)
Cerith Snail (Cerithium sp.)
Blue Legged Hermit Crab (Clibanarius tricolor)
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (Paguristes cadenati)
Emerald Crab (Mithrax sculptus)
Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)
Crocea Clam (Tridacna crocea)
Hawaiian Feather Duster (Sabellastarte sp.)
Abalone (Haliotis sp.)
Nassarius Snail (Nassarius sp.)
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)
Margarita Snails (Margarities sp)

Coral
Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sp.)
Frogspawn (Euphyllia sp.)
Short Tentacle Plate Coral (Fungia sp.)
Brian Coral (Lobophyllia sp.)
Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea sp.)
Brain Worm (Platygyra sp.)
Montipora Coral, Encrusting (Montipora sp.)
Birdnest (Seriatopora sp.)
Zoo's (Zoanthus sp.)
Acropora Coral (Acropora sp.)

xiaan

Here are some photos!

[attachment deleted by admin]

sniggir

looking good, I like your sump well plened out...was nice meeting you
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

xiaan

Good news a and some bad news.
My lights came in today  :) :) :) I went for the Nova Extreme Pro. It is a 6 bulb T5 with individual reflectors  and comes with bulbs  I got it for around $350 from OceanAquatics I also decided to swap out the 3 Current 10K bulbs and ordered a Giesemann Midday, Blue Plus and Pure Actinic to replace them (As per the GrimRefers comments  http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1269547).

Unfortunately this morning I cracked my sump while fitting in the baffles :(. I guess they were a little too snug. I promptly sanded them off another 1/8" and now they fit nicely (not too snug) but I still have to get another 10G tank for the sump  :(.  I might have to upgrade :D my 10G and use that as the sump.

sdivell

Looks like you're off to a good start.  Its nice to see someone taking their time and doing the research first before setting up the tank.

If you want to upgrade that 10g and use it for a sump i've got a 21g for sale ;)

xiaan

Got my lights setup on the tank they are crazy bright  :D

I added some pictures
1. lights off
2. lights on
3. Bulb order:
Front
Current Actinic
Geisemann Aqua-Blue+
Current Actinic
Geisemann Midday
Geisemann True Actinic
Current 10K
4. Some plumbing for the return

groan

xiaan

Thanks to babblefish1960 I got a 20 extra high tank and swapped it for my 10G. I have competed the sump and most of the plumbing
I have been working on the plumbing and I am still up in the air about the return.

The tank is almost ready to go but I still have a couple things to do.
- Paint the back of the tank
- Finish installing the bulkheads and drain (some of it is not sealed yet as I have to paint the back)
- Get some lighting for the fuge
- find out how to install the moon lights (might not put them on this tank)
- build a back on the stand to hide the plumbing and wires

I hope to have most of this done by the weekend.

Here are some more photos of the finished sump and plumbing so far.
1. Sump In progress
2. Plumbing the drain
3. Back of the tank
4. Close up of the sump area
5. Front of the tank

redbelly

Nice build so far!
Keep us posted.

xiaan

Thanks for the comments

I went out last night to PC Cyber and got some SientX computer fans and replaced the stock ones in the fixture now it practically makes no noise. If you guys ever need to get super quiet fans I recommend these they almost make no noise!

Almost everything is done I am right now making RODI water and filling the tank :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably gong to mix the salt soon but I will not get live rock in there until next week, as I am going away for the weekend and don't have time to get some.

Here are some more photos.

Painting the back of the tank

Painted back in place

Stand extension to hide equipment

New fans and mounted Moon Lights

New Return Plumbing and Light for Fuge

New Return Plumbing

sniggir

nice, good job, I like that you have modded you maxi jets, you will get great flow divercity with that wave maker you have.. seems like you have put alot of research into it which is realy good.
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

xiaan

Thanks,

I am trying to do everything right the first time (Saves time and money).

Tank is filled yup and I mixed in some salt last night I checked the SG and it is currently around 1.025 it is a little high so I am probably going to have to do some water changes with fresh water. I already have the sand for the tank and I hope to have live rock in there by Wednesday! I plan on putting in the sand after the live rock so nothing will topple over my aquascaping by digging.

sniggir

1.025 is fine that is what I run my tank at

xiaan

Not much to report right now. Tank is filled with salt water (SG is at 1.025 ppm I think I might try and leave it there). I also decided to put the sand in and a few shells. The tank is super cloudy right now but should clear up in a couple of days just in time for me to pick up my live rock on Friday!.

For Live rock I am planning on getting 20lb of Walt Smith Premium Live Rock(http://ottawainverts.com/shopping/p...products_id=166) and 20lb of "Green" DIY Rock. (http://ottawainverts.com/shopping/p...&products_id=80)

The DIY rock will reduce my costs and provide a good base and interesting aquascaping to put the Walt Smith Live rock on.

I am also of thinking about setting up an auto top off because over the weekend my return almost went dry (it is only 3G). Since I don't really have any space left in the cabinet I plan on putting a 5G bucket in the basement and have a pump feed the return in the sump. That should give me at least 5 days worth of water. anyone have any experience with autotopoff.com ?

I have also been looking into a phos-ban reactor and something to dose calcium (since I plan on having lots of stony coral) but these are things that I can add to the tank later.

Here are some more photos the tank is still a little cloudy after I put the sand in.

Full Lights

Dusk

LED Moonlights.

sniggir

looking very good ask Pat about the auto top off

xiaan

The tank is all nicely cleared up and has been running now for one week. Hoping to put live rock in there tonight  ;D

I did a quick test of my water parameters.
KH 5.8dkH
Ca 220ppm
PO4 0ppm
Temp 78.9F
PH 7.9
SG 1.025
NH4 0
NO2 0
NO3 0

mdugly

Might wanna double check the KH/Ca - they are way off...
What brand of salt and water source did you use ?

xiaan

I got a bucket of Corallife salt at the big Al's boxing day sale. For water I have a Aquasafe RODI unit.

Sharbuckle

looking good, cant wait to see it start to grow!