New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Moss ID pics for reference

Started by jrs, April 07, 2008, 10:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrs

A few people have asked about moss ID's.  They are not always easy to determine but here are closeup pics of some mosses that I have.  Pay particular attention to the difference between Singapore and Java moss

Java (Taxiphyllum barbieri)

Singapore (Vesicularia dubyana)

Christmas (Vesicularia montagnei)

Weeping (Vesicularia ferriei)

Fissidens fontanus

Erect (Vesicularia reticulata)

Taiwan (Taxiphyllum alternans)

Flame (Taxiphyllum sp. 'flame')

Zipper (Fissidens zippelianus)

Plagiomnium sp. affine?

Willow (Frontinalis antipyretica)

dan2x38

Thanks this is the best resource I'ce come across for identifing mosses... it is often compliated... what mosses do you have available or will soon?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

charlie

Thanks John , great work , i would suggest this be made a sticky in the planted forum.
Regards

dan2x38

Quote from: charlie on April 07, 2008, 10:52:21 PM
Thanks John , great work , i would suggest this be made a sticky in the planted forum.
Regards

I vote YES too! I saved it in my favs.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

jrs

One thing that you need to keep in mind though is that mosses frond structure can vary slightly depending on the tank that they are in.

For example, the Java moss you see there just sits in a container below one of my tanks.  If I were to put that in my main tank and grow it out the frond structure would be lighter green and more robust.  

To be quite honest I am very confident in the ID's for all of these except for the Erect moss.  I think that it is Erect but there is a chance that it could be Spikey Moss.

pminister

Hey Guys/Gals,

I was just surfing the internet, when i ran into this awesome site. Only downside to the site is that, it doesnt provide to much of extensive info on it. But just basic enough, to get the ball rolling.

Let me know what yall think ! n Don't forget to bookmark  ;D

http://www.andrewspink.nl/mosses/thumbnails.htm