New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LF Plant Suggestion

Started by ray, May 11, 2009, 07:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray

Hi I'm looking for a couple of ideas for a sm pond.My pond is facing south and gets sun from 8 til about 4 PM.I'm lookinjg for low maintenace ideas.The first is for something that will grow on a log that is protruding from the water and secondly for some sort of moss or lichen that will cover rocks.Appreciate any help or links,thanks

Ray

Laura

That's a lot of sun - I would get a surface cover like frogbit, hyacinth, lilies that will stop the water from heating up too much. 
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

bergenm

It depends, apart from the amount of sun, the other consideration is moisture...

If the wood extends high above the water and remains dry throughout the day, you would probably have to go with desert-type plants. However, if the wood stays soaked with water, you could go with topiary plants.

Same for the rocks, if they are wet all the time, mosses will grow without a problem. If they remain dry, then you probably have to go with border plants/marginals that grow between the rocks.

Michael

sas

Picked this little gem up today.

Commonly called a pitcher plant, "Sarracenia purpurea"

This may work if attached to some sphagnum moss on a log or nestled in moss amongst rocks.
It is a bog plant, liking very wet areas, and will supposedly form floating masses.
Nice point about this plant is it is native to our area and no worries if it goes astray.
It likes full sun and helps with mosquito control and other buggies :)
This is my first experience with this plant so we'll see.

Rumble Fish

Sas, I'm curious how your pitcher plant is doing.  Does it overwinter or do you bring it inside?
Freshwater 100g display / 55g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
Reshaping and restocking: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras

Freshwater 75g display / 40g sump, low tech planted tank, T8 LED shop lighting
harlequin rasboras, pristella tetras, scissortail rasboras, pepper cories, SAEs, oto cats

Freshwater 65g display / 20g sump, low tech planted tank, LED lighting
lemon tetras, pineapple mollies, bronze cories, angelfish

sas

I'm sorry to say I lost it last summer in that heat. We were away for a bit and it dried out.
I had it planted in an old wash basin, because I put it in the basement every winter. I should have put it directly in the ground. I was so upset over losing it, it's such a cool plant.
This type of pitcher plant grows in our area so it should over winter alright.