New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

54G Corner Build

Started by gerryo, August 23, 2009, 11:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rybren

Gerry,

Let me caveat the following by stating up front that I am by no means an expert.  But to the best of my knowledge, I believe the following to be true...

Algae needs 3 things to live:

1. Light,
2. Water,
3. Nutrients

Remove any one of the three and the algae will start to wither away.

Given that we are running reef tanks, we cannot eliminate 1 & 2.  So that leave us with doing something about #3.  There are many means available to us to achieve this.  Most reefers employ a number of methods, namely:

1.  Running GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide)  This can be run in a reactor, canister filter, HOB filter, a sack sitting in the sump
2.  Growing macro algae in the sump, DT, or HOB filter to out-compete the microalgae by using up the nutrients first
3.  Running an algae turf scrubber (ATS) to grow algae and use up the nutrients
4.  Using a skimmer or upgrading the skimmer
5.  Running carbon 24/7 (using the same methods as for GFO)  Carbon has been proven to remove more DOCs (Dissolved Organic Carbon) than skimming (See Advanced Aquarist magazine - I can't find the link right now)  DOCs tend to break down into their component elements, adding to elevated nutrient levels
6.  Performing regular water changes
7.  Using foods that are low in Phosphorous and rinsing frozen foods
8.  Reducing the amount of food being fed
9.  Carbon dosing:  Biopellets, Vodka, vinegar, sugar

There are probably even more methods that I haven't touched on.  You can also try reducing the photo-period, or even going lights-out for a couple of days.  However, if the nutrient levels are not addressed, then the algae will return.

Of course, I may be way out in left field.  :-\
120G Reef

gerryo

Ok.  I think that I now understand how a GFO works.

Is a carbon reactor the same as a GFO reactor?  Can they be interchanged?
If I am to run both at the same time and 24/7 then should I have 2 of them?  And since there are 3 compartments in my canister filter, can I run them both in there at the same time?

It's easy to reduce the amount of food.  So maybe my little fishies will go hungry until they adjust.  But how do you rinse frozen food? 

As for Macro, does anyone have any cheato they can spare?

My skimmer is a Tunze 9410, so is more than adequate for a 54G tank.
Water changes are easy.  A nusance, but easy.

dan2x38

Quote from: gerryo on June 22, 2011, 10:13:53 AM
Ok.  I think that I now understand how a GFO works.

Is a carbon reactor the same as a GFO reactor?  Can they be interchanged?
If I am to run both at the same time and 24/7 then should I have 2 of them?  And since there are 3 compartments in my canister filter, can I run them both in there at the same time?

- Yes they can be run in same type of reactor i.e. Two Little Fish Phosban 150.
- It is best to run separate reactors for each media.
- Yes it can be run in a canister filter but leave out the floss. Carbon wears out first so you could use a little less GFO and change at same time. Ray sells GFO & carbon in bulk.
- You have to change both media on a regular bases.

It's easy to reduce the amount of food.  So maybe my little fishies will go hungry until they adjust.  But how do you rinse frozen food? 

I use a brine shrimp net over a cup and pour some tank water through it. What stays in the net you add to the tank the stuff in the cup you ditch.

As for Macro, does anyone have any cheato they can spare?

Yes can have as much as you can carry PM me for directions available tonight plz bring a bag. It is complete with lots of pods, mini brittlestars and other critters.

Check in classifieds there is a modified Aqua Clear 110 for a HOB fuge great little deal for tanks with no sumps plus easy for critters to pass to DT - think he wants $45 maybe will bargain? ;)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Rybren

120G Reef

gerryo

Thanx Guys.

And Dan, pm comin'.

Hookup

did RO/DI get discussed? 

gerryo

I don't have RO/DI water.  Just RO.  My water comes from a deep well and then through a water softener before the RO unit.

No, I do not use a TDS meter.  I have no idea what it might be.  My water softening system is by Culligan, so they look after the changing of membranes and filters.  All I do is the salt.

Hookup

Quote from: gerryo on June 22, 2011, 02:51:10 PM
I don't have RO/DI water.  Just RO.  My water comes from a deep well and then through a water softener before the RO unit.

No, I do not use a TDS meter.  I have no idea what it might be.  My water softening system is by Culligan, so they look after the changing of membranes and filters.  All I do is the salt.

ever test your tap water for phosphates?  (after mixed up for salt to 25deg and 1.025ppm)

gerryo

I now have my 12G Fuge back in line.  I'll get some cheato and see if I can raise some critters in there.

Is this supposed to supply the DT with critters, and if so, how do they get past the skimmer, the GFO Reactor, the Carbon Reactor, and the Return Pump without getting all chopped up?

I have a 33g tank set up to make salt water for changes.  Any testing I do is at 1.025 and 75.5 degrees.  This is always free of Phosphates. 

Greatwhite

Quote from: gerryo on June 22, 2011, 03:15:58 PM
Is this supposed to supply the DT with critters, and if so, how do they get past the skimmer, the GFO Reactor, the Carbon Reactor, and the Return Pump without getting all chopped up?

I think you will have to buy the critters brown hats and whips - and call them all Indy. 

I have the same problem.  I don't know how many pods get sucked up in my skimmer, and how many manage to make it all the way to the return pump just to get chopped into tiny bits.  It really is a good ad for a HOB fuge, in the end....

Rybren

I'm sure that some pods make it through the gauntlet of pumps without issue.  I once read a study on the subject and the vast majority made it through unscathed.

In my setup, the fuge overflows into the return section.  I give the chaeto a good shake every now and then - shortly thereafter, I can see the pods entering the DT from the return.

120G Reef

gerryo

So, I guess I could reroute the fuge overflow to the return pump section.  Then they would only have to deal with one pump.

I am going to try using my canister filter for a GFO Reactor.  Along with the Carbon, this should work out ok.  I'll just have to deal with changing them both out at the same time.  ;)

ryancarman.com

Quote from: gerryo on June 22, 2011, 09:29:06 PM
So, I guess I could reroute the fuge overflow to the return pump section.  Then they would only have to deal with one pump.

I am going to try using my canister filter for a GFO Reactor.  Along with the Carbon, this should work out ok.  I'll just have to deal with changing them both out at the same time.  ;)

yeah you don't want your fuge flowing past your skimmer, because the pods won't make it through the skimmer in significant numbers, but they are tiny so the will make it through return pumps

gerryo

Yes, I have already thought out the rerouting plan.  Just need to get the fittings now.

And yes, Jerry, I got a large ball of cheato from Dan.  Wonderful.  And thanx for the link to the stand build.  That also is a good one.  I'll use his parameters.   :D

gerryo

Changed the T5 bulbs on here today.  Let's see if that makes any difference.

The Yellow Tang has got rid of all the visible algea in the tank.  Even ate all of that red stuff that I thought was Cyano.  Chomped it up as if it was lettuce.

I have been feeding him on Swisse Chard and Spinach.  Is there anything else he should be getting? 

gerryo

This tank is also in the process of being shut down. 

Thanx for reading and trying to help.