New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 180g, 4 sided viewable project thread

Started by Hookup, August 28, 2009, 10:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaheed

32 pages later I realize I should have started on page 26 ... Lol, j/k. Was a great journey -- awesome tank!   One of the best builds I've seen, and I'm all about lurking forums!  Told my wife that you were cool for replacing a kitchen/living room wall for a tank... I'm going to let that simmer with her for a little while longer..lol. Looking forward to all the updates!

Cheebs

How has running the tank been so far? Does it involve a fair amount of maintenance? Do you find it builds up sometimes? It looks amazing.

Hookup

Quote from: Chubs on February 28, 2013, 11:34:14 AM
How has running the tank been so far? Does it involve a fair amount of maintenance? Do you find it builds up sometimes? It looks amazing.

Thanks Chubs for the compliment!  It means a lot coming from an accomplished reefer.

The tank has had its ups and down.  Had some AEFW to deal with and some monit-eating nudi's as well.  Recently had a battle with ALK, only to find out the dosing line had become disconnected...

The Maintenance is pretty simple.
Feeding fish every day.  Auto-Feeder with a mix of FM foods (3 types)
Manually feeding pellets (4 types)
Manually feeding NORI sheets
Manually feeding frozen cubes (6 cubes/day)

Weekly clean glass (should be every 4 days)
Weekly change filter socks (should be every 3 days)

Every Other Week Change Water
Every Other Week Clean Skimmer (should be weekly)

Every 2 months change Carbon and Phosban
Every 2 months clean UV Steralizer

Every 12 months clean sump (pull out most of the rock, vaccume up any detritus, clean and inspect the sump, put it all back together)
Every 12 months put new RO/DI filters in place.

The maintenace gets overwhelming because life gets in the way and this "chore" takes a back seat.  It might be time to clean the glass, but its nice out and we want to go skiiing as a family... or someething along those lines.  I'm way past due on my 12month chores...

I also will be changing lighting soon... stay tuned.

kole18

Tim what happen to your stag in the middle? If I remember you have a bigger colony of stag & looks amazing , as well good selection of fish.

Jimbo

Hi Hookup,

Great looking tank - I guess it's been up for just over a year. If you were going to start over again, do you have any recommendations on what you would do differently, and what you would do the same?

Hookup

Been a while, wanted to share a photo update with you all.

Rybren

Tim!

The tank is looking great.  Good to see that you've recovered.

I wish I could say that mine has bounced back as nicely.
120G Reef

groupie02

Herstead

Amazing photos and tank! It really is a work of art.
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

Dxpert

Wow! What a tank, great shots. It looks fantastic!

I read through the thread. That must have been a very hard decision to rebuild the tank. The pictures prove that it was well worth it. Good call.

Who did you order the tank from? The take away for me is reconfirmation of all requirements / options before production starts. I don't imagine the tank was cheap so it's not the type of thing you would naturally think to do. When you are paying for quality you expect perfection.

Did you ever hook the motors up to control them with 0-10v?

robt18

Unreal. Gorgeous corals and some great shots. Glad to see everything's coming back nicely. If a chunk of that orange/purple/green chalice ever falls off.... :P

ramblnpony

Wow, an awesome and amazing beautiful tank. Congratulations!!

ajm1961

Tim, good to hear from you!
Your tank is looking awesome.
Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures.
Have a great 2014!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Hookup

Quote from: Dxpert on January 19, 2014, 01:21:43 PM
Wow! What a tank, great shots. It looks fantastic!

I read through the thread. That must have been a very hard decision to rebuild the tank. The pictures prove that it was well worth it. Good call.

Who did you order the tank from? The take away for me is reconfirmation of all requirements / options before production starts. I don't imagine the tank was cheap so it's not the type of thing you would naturally think to do. When you are paying for quality you expect perfection.

Did you ever hook the motors up to control them with 0-10v?

Thanks for the kind words.

I never did attempt the variable speed flow.  I've been fixated on getting DC pumps into my CL, which hasn't happened yet due to price and reliability.

The tank is from miracles ... Great company. I'd suggest you deal with them direct as they are very good at customer service.

Hookup

Quote from: Rybren on January 18, 2014, 10:52:50 PM
Tim!

The tank is looking great.  Good to see that you've recovered.

I wish I could say that mine has bounced back as nicely.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles Ryben.  All the best in 2014 to you!