New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ottawa water survey

Started by donj, March 08, 2004, 02:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donj

Just out of interest, I was hoping to set up a survey to see what pH, GH and KH people are getting from their tap throughout the city.  And if they ever see these numbers fluctuate.  Here are my numbers...

ph 7
KH 30 ppm
GH 50 ppm

Sandy Hill area.  

I've seen my pH fluctuate from >8.8 to 7.

dpatte

The pH should be about 9.2, and should decrease to about 8.2 within 24 hours - or at least this is the avarage the city is aiming for in 2004.

donj

I know, I read your report (which was very informative), but I was wondering if other people are getting different numbers than what the city is stating.  My water is 7.5 from the tap and goes to 7.0 after 24 hours.  

>>The pH should be about 9.2, and should decrease to about 8.2 within 24 hours - or at least this is the avarage the city is aiming for in 2004<<

Pisidan

I get in brittaniafrom the tap betwen 8.0-8.2 ph usually stays stable at 8.0 !!

Migs

I'm in Vanier and I'm reading a pH of 7.6 with hardness readings of 17.9ppm GH and 35.8ppm KH
Hmm...

dpatte

does anyone have the conversion between AP test kit drops, german degrees and ppm (for hardness)? I lost my brochure from my test kit.

Marc

1 ppm = 0.056 German degrees

See the front page of the website for a short article on water hardness.

Migs

My kit tells me 17.9ppm per German degree

artw

right.  one german degree is 17.9ppm.  conversion calculation (17.9ppm x 0.056dG = 1.0024)

donj

>>I'm in Vanier and I'm reading a pH of 7.6 with hardness readings of 17.9ppm GH and 35.8ppm KH
Hmm...<<

This is getting interestinger and interestinger.  Anyone else test their tap water?

dpatte

After the OVAS christmas party, i seemed to toss, in error, the booklet that describes the tests for my Aquarium Pharm Master test kit.

If someone has the documentation for Aquarium Pharm. pH High could you contact me by 'pm' or 'email' so i can scan it and return your colour chart.

Also, I'm just not sure how many drops in the hardness test refer to what PPM or dH. I also need this info.

If I have this, then I'll test my tapwater here in the civic hospital/holland/parkdale area.

artw

it will be interesting to see if the water chemistry changes after they rip up Holland Ave.

Anubias

Hi,

The further the distance from the filtration plant to the user, the greater the fall in pH, KH, and chloramine levels. Presumably this is due to the effects of DOC in the water lines. So the householder in Brittannia gets a ph of 8.2, in Vanier 7.5, and in Gloucester 7.0. God knows what one would measure in Barrhaven -probably high levels of lead, but then no one with any sense would live there anyway.

For anyone interested, chloramine is not added diirectly to the water. Ammonia and chlorine is added separately. As the water leaves the filtration plant, it mixes to form chloramine.

I have a lot of objections to the way the water supply is treated. We used to have much better water for our hobby.

Regards,

dpatte

Tapwater test at Sherwood Dr corner of Holland (Near Parkdale & Queensway) woops 2004/3/17

chlorine (as chloramine) 0.25 - 0.5 PPM
pH 8.2
GH 3 degrees (~54 PPM)
kH 2 degrees (~36 PPM)
ammonia (before removing chlorine) 0
nitrite 0
nitrate ~3 PPM
phosphate 0
iron 0 !!! <-- planted tanks need iron suppliment immediately
calcium < 20 PPM

dpatte

Just for comparison here is what i just tested from the PUBLIC ARTESIAN WELL AT WAKEFIELD, QUE. You can campare this to results on the board of my tapwater, which is the exact previous message. BTW: I dont use this for my tanks normally - the primary purpose is as drinking water for myself :)

chlorine 0
ph 7.5
gH 15 degrees (~270 PPM)
kH 11 degrees (~200 PPM)
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5 PPM
phosphate 0
iron 0
calcium ion 80 PPM

taste: wonderful :)

When i refill the bottles about once per month, i distribute what i have left (usually a few gallons total) between my various tanks. I'm sure this provides a small amount of micronutrients and minerals, etc to the tanks.

artw

I'd like some of that for my african tanks.  thats pretty much bang on Lake Malawi. I think Lake Malawi has a bit more calcium in it.

BigDaddy

I'll do some ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and iron tests for tap water here in Aylmer so people on the Quebec side can get a handle on what our waterworks is giving us.

I'll do a test on water straight out of the tap, and 48 hour aged water.

I know, though, that it is more acidic than Ottawa, and as soft.

Results to follow....

alexv

Here's my test result (Bayshore - West Ottawa).

pH - 8.3
GH - 6° (110 ppm)
KH - 4° (70 ppm)
Don't know the chloramine amount though.
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)