Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

130G Starfire Cube Build

Started by xiaan, November 30, 2009, 09:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiaan

Over the past few months I was in the process of planning a upgrade to my 38G tank. The first thing I had to do is figure out what size of tank I was looking for. due to space issues I could only have a 36" tank at first I was looking for a 65G tank (36x18x24) but I did not like the overflows it had and I was looking to get a coast to coast. The next tank size I was looking for was a custom 36x24x24 with a custom coast to coast overflow. after pricing out this tank with a custom stand I found with not much more money I could get a 36x36x24 tank with a stock Perfecto stand. So That is what I went for  ;D

So here it what I ordered

It is a custom made tank from Miracles Aquariums ordered by Ottawa Inverts

Tank:
36x36x24
2 sides starfire glass
External Coast to coast overflow

Stand:
36x36x28 Black Pine Stand
I beefed up the supports in it by adding 2x4 and a 3/4" plywood base, also the tank is sitting on 1/2" of pink Styrofoam. 

And last Friday with some help thanks to Patrick and Shawn it arrived!

(Sorry I did not get any shots of the tank move but I know Patrick Did!)

Coast to coast overflow with removable insert.

Rybren

Nice looking tank!  I'm jealous!
120G Reef

xiaan

First on Friday I popped over to PVC plus and picked up some supples:

Yesterday I started plumbing and painting the tank. I am hoping to do the move from my 38G tank to this tank next weekend if everyting goes smoothly.

Overflow plumbing:

Painting the tank:

I also started making water I calculated I need to make at least 120G.

I also picked up a few weeks ago 4 40lb bags of sand & a 200G Box of reef crystals.

Tonight I would like to finish plumbing the tank and do a final coat of paint. currently I have one hitch in my plan the 3/4" bulkhead I got is too big for my hole (it fits a 1 3/4" hole and the hole is 1 1/2") I will have to get one that fits in the hole.

Severum

This is going to be amazing! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I can't wait to see the tank come together.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Cheebs

mikerobart

Hell yes I have been waiting of this build after seeing your tank. Those Stylo frags I got from you have been doing great.

xiaan

Thanks

I am not realy changing any equpment from my 38G (I think i was always planning an upgrade) Here is some of the equipment I currently have that is already in place or is going into the tank.

Flow
Vortec MP40w
Tunze 6055
I might be getting one more MP40w if i see I need some flow

Lighting
ATI Sunpower 6x36W
GHL SimStick (Moonlights and Simulation)
I am probably ether going to replace the lights with a 10x36w Powermodule or get another 6x36w but I do not have to decide this just yet.

Live Rock
50lb from the old tank I might add a few more pounds but I plan on having an open aquascape look (I have about 60lb of live rock already in the sump) and let my corals grow out.

Sump
I am currently not changing my sump for the system I already have 70G in the sump in my basement
check out this for my sump build thread (http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=31097.0)
I have only changed a few since that thread one thing is that I have swapped out my Dart for a Wahoo as it is better rated for pushing up water up one floor and I have added a second dousing pump bank and a Vertex zeovit reactor.

Hookup

Great looking system!  Looking forward to seeing it come together!

salvini55

Awsome! What skimmer are you goinbg with? I love deep tanks, cubes are perfect.

xiaan

I currently have a Octo Extreme 200 in my sump and will probably keep that for now.

fishsticks

I am starting to really like the cube style over my rectangle tank I hope that passes (LOL) :)
200 g ,1 yellow tang,, 1 royal gramma,1 tomato clown,1 percula clown, ,,1 three stripe damsel,2 green cromis,2 scissor cromis, 5 cleaner shrimp,,1 coral bandit shrimp...coral.....

FocusFin

Quote from: fishsticks on November 30, 2009, 02:55:25 PM
I am starting to really like the cube style over my rectangle tank I hope that passes (LOL) :)

Me too!

Can't wait to see this one come together.

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

xiaan

Last night I added one more coat of paint and did some plumbing.

Here is the overflows I think I might trim them down by 1/2"

Almost completed the drain plumbing.

My next steps are to finish off the return plumbing, add shelving for controller and wires, and design the canopy.

For the lighting I think I will be getting another Sunpower I really like the fixture and with 12 T5s over the tank that will be more than enough light.

For the canopy I have a couple of reqirements that have to be met.
1. It has to be wrasse proof, I plan on getting a couple of very nice wrasses and I have already had 2 jump out in the old tank.
2. It must house 2 Sunpower fixtures.
3. It must be easy to access the tank for feeding and cleaning.
4. It must be low profile less than 1 foot high
5. It must look nice

I do not need a canopy right now as my old one will be ok for the time being.
I have something in mind and will be working on the design over the next week or so.

mikerobart

I'm also really loving cube-type tanks lately. When /if I break down my 90 I'd definitely look into going with a cube style. Myself I like either floating canopies or open top but of course with your wrasses that's a no go.

Vincenzo.

cool man, hope all goes well. keep us updated with many photos

xiaan

Thanks guys. not much to report on today I did a bit more plumbing but that is it I am currently waiting on getting a 3/4" bulkhead that will fit my return. If I am able to get one by Friday then Sunday I will be moving the tank!

I hope the extra depth will give me allot of options for aquascaping. I have not decided yet what aquascape I am going to create Thinking of a central bonsai pillar with some DYI walls but I will see when I get the rock in the tank.

xiaan

Big weekend! I got the bulkhead on Thursday i need to swap over the tank. So Saturday I finished preparations to do the big move.

I popped over to Ottawa Inverts to get some final supples and picked up an extra pump

Salt all mixed, Check
I mixed about 120G that should be more than ample.

Return plumbing Done, Check

Gathered supplys need for the move, Check

That included
- Lots of towels
- Holding bins
- Power heads
- Heaters
- Nets & tongs
- Buckets
- Painting supples
- Plumbing supples

So at 7am on Sunday I started the move!

xiaan

I placed some towels down to protect the floor and started moving some coral to the sump.

Coral holding in the sump

More coral in the sump

I next Drained the tank and placed all the coral rock and fish in the holding bins along with powerheads and heaters

Coral in holding bins

xiaan

I next removed the sand bed from the tank and removed the old tank and stand.

I then move the new tank into place It fits nicely!

Next check the the plumbing for the return to see if it connects

I then have to finish plumbing the drain lines

It is a good thing I am small and can fit inside the stand!

xiaan

Finished plumbing the drain lines, I hope there is no leaks!

we then disconnected the tank and moved it away from the wall.
My Girlfriend helped me paint the wall behind the tank (It will be some time until we are able to paint there) Note that the wall is more red not orangie pink

In the mean time I had some lunch (it is about 2pm then) and hooked up the powerheads.

After two coats of paint we moved the tank back into place and connected it. I placed 3 40Lb bags of sand in the tank to give it about 1.5" - 2" sand bed.

Then started filling up the tank