New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 50g. tank + 20g. sump build thread, a.k.a. "slowest build ever"

Started by HomerJ, April 10, 2010, 08:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

Hi all:

I just thought I'd create a thread to document my adventures in salt-water land.  I gave away my 2 goldfish and started buying my SW equipment.  Don't expect things to be done overnight, as my spare time is a bit limited these days, having a few things on the go at the same time.

First things first, I am limited in space, so a 50 gallon setup is all that can be accommodated for now.

So far, I got:

• The aquarium itself, a 50 gallon, 36x16x20.  I had it drilled on the bottom, one hole on each side towards the back.  It is still in the box (see below)
  • A 20 gallon aquarium to be used as a sump (24x12x16)
  • Tunze Nano Skimmer
  • Supreme Classic mag drive pump.

There are a bunch of things that need to happen before I can start filling the tank with water, the most important one being that I need to build a stand!  Unfortunately, the workshop is tied up by the desk I am building for my daughter (which should be finished soon).

In the meantime, I thought I'd start setting up the sump.  I was going to buy glass to make baffles, but after measuring up my old 10 gallon goldfish tank, I was amazed to see the panels were of the perfect width (and I do mean PERFECT!) to act as baffles in the 20 gallons tank.  I spent some time stripping out the plastic frame, separating the glass panels using a razor blade, and cleaning up the old silicon using Silicon-Be-Gone (which works pretty well by the way).  Thinking back, I probably should have bought clean glass to start with, as it was a lot of work to dismantle (and cleanup) the old aquarium.  I guess I felt bad spending money instead of reusing what I already had.

With all that said, I have been spending the last few nights installing the baffles in the 20 gallon sump.  I am going with a Skimmer->Fuge->Return design, with a bubble trap separating the skimmer->fuge areas.  I tried taping the glass where I could to keep the mess to a minimum (I know, the sump will be out of sight, but I'm like that, it has to look nice!).  The results are not amazing, but it still looks half decent after a bit of cleaning up.

It's probably hard to see on this picture, but I used a pen to mark the outside of the glass where the first baffle would line up (one of the 3 required for the bubble trap). I have only marked a few dots, since I wasn't sure I'd be able to wipe them clean afterward! I marked the side panes, and the bottom one too, just to help in lining the baffle up once the silicon was applied.

Next, to make a clean silicon bead, I taped the inside of the glass, about 1/2" from the marked lines. Below you can see the taped glass and the first baffle in place, just to test the fit.

I knew it would be tight to try and apply the silicone with the gun once the baffle was in place, so I applied it without the baffle. The idea was that once the baffle was pushed in place, it would also push the silicon and make a half-decent bead.  (Mental note, apply on the line where the baffle will go, not where you want the silicon to end up.

Below is a shot of the first baffle in place, with the silicon smoothed out. (I used my finger, after dipping it in warm water. I find the silicon doesn't stick as much that way).

A few minutes after applying the silicon, I pulled the tape. Here's what it looked like.

On the second day, with the first baffle dry, I moved on to installing the second one. I used MDF scraps I had, which were conveniently 1" thick. I placed one on the bottom, and one against the first baffle. Voila, exactly 1" of spacing.

Spreading the silicon on the inside joint was not obvious, but I ended up using a 1/2" dowel to make a nice smooth bead.

Nice... until I tried to remove the tape! In my attempt to keep everything clean, I have messed up the glass real bad! Taping the first baffle was a good idea since I had room to remove the tape, but taping the second baffle resulted in spreading silicon everywhere when pulling the tape off in the narrow 1" space between the 2 baffles.  Even worse, I can't really clean it up since the 1" gap between the baffles is too narrow for my hands.

Anyway, it's not a work of art, and it'll be hidden, but I'm a perfectionist and it bugs me!

On the third and final day, I installed the third baffle for the bubble trap, and the one that separates the refugium and the return area. Again, I managed to get silicon all over the place... GRRRR. Here's what the final product looks like. The picture does not do justice to the mess I have made!  (Do note the Blendtec blender on the right... and yes, IT BLENDS!)

ramblnpony

Nice pics and documentation. I'd argue the "slowest build ever" though as my 2008 boxing day buy 180g is still sitting in my living room as I work on finishing my total basement Reno. Too bad they don't make a silicon syringe type dispenser for those hard to get at places. Nice job on the sump. Can't wait to get mine going. Thanks for sharing.   :)

mikerobart

Nice work on sump. Silicone is way cleaner than mine I threw together in about 20 mins. Sorta jealous !

HomerJ

Quote from: ramblnpony on April 10, 2010, 09:08:12 AM
I'd argue the "slowest build ever" though as my 2008 boxing day buy 180g is still sitting in my living

How do you do it?  That would never fly with my wife!!!!

Thanks for the comments!

salvini55

ramblnpony

QuoteHow do you do it?  That would never fly with my wife!!!!

She's just my girlfriend, soon to move in...... things may change.... Lol ;D

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

JetJumper

Quote from: HomerJ on April 10, 2010, 08:21:12 AM
Anyway, it's not a work of art, and it'll be hidden, but I'm a perfectionist and it bugs me!

Is it just me, or does one of the baffels look like its 1/8th" further away then the other side? 

Just kidding :P  Looks good so far! :D
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Vincenzo.

nice caulk job. caulk is a lot harder than it looks.

+ tagging along

smalltownfan

A 50 + 20 is exactly what I'm planning. Will be following your build.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

HomerJ

Just a bump, this thread is not dead!  I have spent the day in the workshop building a stand for my tank.  Pics to come later this weekend!

HomerJ

new2salt

Nice job on the sump.
I tried the tape while doing a sump for my son.
Left the tape for a few minutes - just long enough for the silicon to form a thin skin.
Take it from me - that was way too long. Made a royal mess, had to redo that baffle.
Done right (removed as soon as you finish shaping the seal) the tape works out great. Leaves a nice clean line that looks nice and is easy to clean.
Nice work so far - slow and steady
No sense rushing - that's when things go BAD
and we don't need that to happen

I am planning to upgrade my 65 to include a sump and fuge.
Thanks to all, for some great ideas.

Brent Shaver

Just a tip for trying to silicone in tight places (baffles in a sump)

Once you know the area you have to work in, go to any walmart or Micheals(sp?) and get yourself a piece of dowling the right diameter and make sure it is long enough to reach the bottom.  Lightly sand the end so not sharp or have splinters and then cover with a everyday ballon.  Tape the top to the dowl so it stays in place then dunk in some water and make your seal.  Will be a clean pro look if you dont over do the caulking/silicone.

HomerJ

Quote from: HomerJ on April 10, 2010, 08:21:12 AM
Spreading the silicon on the inside joint was not obvious, but I ended up using a 1/2" dowel to make a nice smooth bead.

:-)

Brent Shaver

ok missed that, a brain fart on my part.  But hey at least you know it works...lol

HomerJ

Quote from: Brent Shaver on May 09, 2010, 07:12:35 PM
ok missed that, a brain fart on my part.  But hey at least you know it works...lol

Yep... it works great, can't think of a better way in such restricted space.

HomerJ

Ready to stain the stand (minus the doors, will do them later... need room in the workshop!).  I'll apply a dark red-brown stain, to match the rest of the living room furniture.  It is being matched/mixed at the store as I write this.

RossW