New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 50g. tank + 20g. sump build thread, a.k.a. "slowest build ever"

Started by HomerJ, April 10, 2010, 08:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomerJ

Hi all:

I just thought I'd create a thread to document my adventures in salt-water land.  I gave away my 2 goldfish and started buying my SW equipment.  Don't expect things to be done overnight, as my spare time is a bit limited these days, having a few things on the go at the same time.

First things first, I am limited in space, so a 50 gallon setup is all that can be accommodated for now.

So far, I got:

• The aquarium itself, a 50 gallon, 36x16x20.  I had it drilled on the bottom, one hole on each side towards the back.  It is still in the box (see below)
  • A 20 gallon aquarium to be used as a sump (24x12x16)
  • Tunze Nano Skimmer
  • Supreme Classic mag drive pump.

There are a bunch of things that need to happen before I can start filling the tank with water, the most important one being that I need to build a stand!  Unfortunately, the workshop is tied up by the desk I am building for my daughter (which should be finished soon).

In the meantime, I thought I'd start setting up the sump.  I was going to buy glass to make baffles, but after measuring up my old 10 gallon goldfish tank, I was amazed to see the panels were of the perfect width (and I do mean PERFECT!) to act as baffles in the 20 gallons tank.  I spent some time stripping out the plastic frame, separating the glass panels using a razor blade, and cleaning up the old silicon using Silicon-Be-Gone (which works pretty well by the way).  Thinking back, I probably should have bought clean glass to start with, as it was a lot of work to dismantle (and cleanup) the old aquarium.  I guess I felt bad spending money instead of reusing what I already had.

With all that said, I have been spending the last few nights installing the baffles in the 20 gallon sump.  I am going with a Skimmer->Fuge->Return design, with a bubble trap separating the skimmer->fuge areas.  I tried taping the glass where I could to keep the mess to a minimum (I know, the sump will be out of sight, but I'm like that, it has to look nice!).  The results are not amazing, but it still looks half decent after a bit of cleaning up.

It's probably hard to see on this picture, but I used a pen to mark the outside of the glass where the first baffle would line up (one of the 3 required for the bubble trap). I have only marked a few dots, since I wasn't sure I'd be able to wipe them clean afterward! I marked the side panes, and the bottom one too, just to help in lining the baffle up once the silicon was applied.

Next, to make a clean silicon bead, I taped the inside of the glass, about 1/2" from the marked lines. Below you can see the taped glass and the first baffle in place, just to test the fit.

I knew it would be tight to try and apply the silicone with the gun once the baffle was in place, so I applied it without the baffle. The idea was that once the baffle was pushed in place, it would also push the silicon and make a half-decent bead.  (Mental note, apply on the line where the baffle will go, not where you want the silicon to end up.

Below is a shot of the first baffle in place, with the silicon smoothed out. (I used my finger, after dipping it in warm water. I find the silicon doesn't stick as much that way).

A few minutes after applying the silicon, I pulled the tape. Here's what it looked like.

On the second day, with the first baffle dry, I moved on to installing the second one. I used MDF scraps I had, which were conveniently 1" thick. I placed one on the bottom, and one against the first baffle. Voila, exactly 1" of spacing.

Spreading the silicon on the inside joint was not obvious, but I ended up using a 1/2" dowel to make a nice smooth bead.

Nice... until I tried to remove the tape! In my attempt to keep everything clean, I have messed up the glass real bad! Taping the first baffle was a good idea since I had room to remove the tape, but taping the second baffle resulted in spreading silicon everywhere when pulling the tape off in the narrow 1" space between the 2 baffles.  Even worse, I can't really clean it up since the 1" gap between the baffles is too narrow for my hands.

Anyway, it's not a work of art, and it'll be hidden, but I'm a perfectionist and it bugs me!

On the third and final day, I installed the third baffle for the bubble trap, and the one that separates the refugium and the return area. Again, I managed to get silicon all over the place... GRRRR. Here's what the final product looks like. The picture does not do justice to the mess I have made!  (Do note the Blendtec blender on the right... and yes, IT BLENDS!)

ramblnpony

Nice pics and documentation. I'd argue the "slowest build ever" though as my 2008 boxing day buy 180g is still sitting in my living room as I work on finishing my total basement Reno. Too bad they don't make a silicon syringe type dispenser for those hard to get at places. Nice job on the sump. Can't wait to get mine going. Thanks for sharing.   :)

mikerobart

Nice work on sump. Silicone is way cleaner than mine I threw together in about 20 mins. Sorta jealous !

HomerJ

Quote from: ramblnpony on April 10, 2010, 09:08:12 AM
I'd argue the "slowest build ever" though as my 2008 boxing day buy 180g is still sitting in my living

How do you do it?  That would never fly with my wife!!!!

Thanks for the comments!

salvini55

ramblnpony

QuoteHow do you do it?  That would never fly with my wife!!!!

She's just my girlfriend, soon to move in...... things may change.... Lol ;D

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

JetJumper

Quote from: HomerJ on April 10, 2010, 08:21:12 AM
Anyway, it's not a work of art, and it'll be hidden, but I'm a perfectionist and it bugs me!

Is it just me, or does one of the baffels look like its 1/8th" further away then the other side? 

Just kidding :P  Looks good so far! :D
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Vincenzo.

nice caulk job. caulk is a lot harder than it looks.

+ tagging along

smalltownfan

A 50 + 20 is exactly what I'm planning. Will be following your build.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

HomerJ

Just a bump, this thread is not dead!  I have spent the day in the workshop building a stand for my tank.  Pics to come later this weekend!

HomerJ

new2salt

Nice job on the sump.
I tried the tape while doing a sump for my son.
Left the tape for a few minutes - just long enough for the silicon to form a thin skin.
Take it from me - that was way too long. Made a royal mess, had to redo that baffle.
Done right (removed as soon as you finish shaping the seal) the tape works out great. Leaves a nice clean line that looks nice and is easy to clean.
Nice work so far - slow and steady
No sense rushing - that's when things go BAD
and we don't need that to happen

I am planning to upgrade my 65 to include a sump and fuge.
Thanks to all, for some great ideas.

Brent Shaver

Just a tip for trying to silicone in tight places (baffles in a sump)

Once you know the area you have to work in, go to any walmart or Micheals(sp?) and get yourself a piece of dowling the right diameter and make sure it is long enough to reach the bottom.  Lightly sand the end so not sharp or have splinters and then cover with a everyday ballon.  Tape the top to the dowl so it stays in place then dunk in some water and make your seal.  Will be a clean pro look if you dont over do the caulking/silicone.

HomerJ

Quote from: HomerJ on April 10, 2010, 08:21:12 AM
Spreading the silicon on the inside joint was not obvious, but I ended up using a 1/2" dowel to make a nice smooth bead.

:-)

Brent Shaver

ok missed that, a brain fart on my part.  But hey at least you know it works...lol

HomerJ

Quote from: Brent Shaver on May 09, 2010, 07:12:35 PM
ok missed that, a brain fart on my part.  But hey at least you know it works...lol

Yep... it works great, can't think of a better way in such restricted space.

HomerJ

Ready to stain the stand (minus the doors, will do them later... need room in the workshop!).  I'll apply a dark red-brown stain, to match the rest of the living room furniture.  It is being matched/mixed at the store as I write this.

RossW

groan

It's too purdy to stain! Nice grain. Rhyming hurts my brain.

HomerJ

First coat of stain.  The color is not as red as on the picture (the flash makes it appear this way).  I'm glad it was warm and I could open the windows today... man it really stinks up the place! 

I'm debating giving a 2nd coat.  I think it will better match the couch with a second coat from my test pieces (it'll pretty much be located right where it's pictured, against the wall/stairs and close to the couch).  And NO, we are not using the gas fireplace.  We haven't fired it up in a few years now, so I won't boil up the fish.

dan2x38

Mr. J your no Homer! ;) Very nice work can't wait to see what you do with the actual build.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

HomerJ

Stand varnished, and tank moved from the box in my daughter's room onto the stand in the living room!

I also redrilled the hole for a bulkhead.  I felt the 1/2" bulkhead was borderline, so I installed a 3/4".

ordi260

Keep up the good work and the picture updates!  I love it!

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

karjean

Keep the good work, it does look great. Looking forward to see the set up once completed.

HomerJ

Small update:

Painted the back glass black. (say that quickly 10 times).  I used up a whole can of Krylon, but I think I lost half of it in the wind

I'm also surprised nobody asked about the doors for the stand.  They are glued up, stained and awaiting cooler weather to get varnished.

HomerJ

It has been forever!!!! 

Plumbing for the sump done... tank is currently filling up with RO water.  Mainly testing for leaks in the plumbing, but I'm hoping I'll be able to add salt tomorrow if everything is fine.

Pics to come.

HomerJ

Wow, already a month since last update.  Well everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong (well no floods so far so not EVERYTHING), but I think I'm back on track now.  Tank is full of salt water, live rock is in, sand is clearing up, and all hardware appears to be working as it should (pump, skimmer, powerheads, heater).

Picking up lights early this week and going from there.

Pics to come when things clear up a bit.

HomerJ

Here's a pic of the tank.  I'm not sure I like the aquascaping, and will need to play with the camera to get the colors to come out properly, but you get the idea.

ordi260

Looks great!

Now... can we see whats hidden in that stand???

SUMP SUMP SUMP SUMP!!!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

HomerJ

Yeah, I`ll clean up the mess of wires under there tonight and take pics of what's under the hood.

HomerJ

Took a bit longer than expected but I managed to snap a few more pics.

The tank and stand.  Still debating whether I make a canopy or not.

Inside the stand.  I need to clean up the sump, lots of deposit at the bottom :-(

So many wires!  I'll clean this up when I'm done messing around with everything!

Clean up crew is in there, and water parms are in check.

ordi260

Very neat!

I would definitely build a canopy...some fish tend to jump...its really up to the choice of livestock you are gonna make...but anyway it looks nice  :D

keep up the good work!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

HomerJ

A few pictures of the inhabitants.  We definitely need a better lens and a better way to adjust the white balance!

[attachment deleted by admin]

HomerJ

Reviving my old thread!

As promised in another thread, some pictures of my "water change station".

First pic shows the outside of the bin.  I'm debating if I should shorten the wires and get rid of the big chunk of folder wires, or keep them like that.

Second pic shows the inside, I used a union so I can remove the pump easily to clean it.  An old powerhead is used to mix the salt, but I assume I could simply reroute the pump outlet inside the bin and use the pump for that.  Not sure how hard it is on the impeller.  The heater heats up the water in an hour or so.

Third pic is the cheapo "float" switch I have made.  Simply 2 wires (that get shorted when the water reaches that level).  I have just realized the pins are likely brass, so I will be replacing them right away!

Fourth pic is the outlet, which lets me attach the hose I use to fill up the tank.

Fifth pic is the hose I use.  The valve lets me safely start the pump beforehand and adjust the flow easily.

Overall, it works really well.  As an added bonus, you can use the bin to store stuff when you don't use it.  In my case, the 2x 5 gallon buckets I use syphon the water out of the tank, salt, hoses, etc.

nissannx

really impressed. turned out nice and everything has its home underneath. very nice.

az

very neat work!!

only one suggestion, get a better skimmer next year once things get full.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

HomerJ

Quote from: az on January 10, 2011, 01:31:23 PM
very neat work!!

only one suggestion, get a better skimmer next year once things get full.

Absolutely!  But I need to rebuild my sump to accommodate a bigger skimmer.  Slowly getting there!

HomerJ

Well, things will get moving a bit later this week.  I will be pulling my sump out from under the stand, and replacing it with a different one that will accomodate a larger skimmer.

I will also post updated pics now that I have a decent lens for the camera.

Here's to hoping everything will go as planned.

laffy

HomerJ

Quote from: laffy on February 23, 2011, 12:56:42 PM
what skimmer are you planning on putting in there?

I got an Octopus NWB-110 (I think!) way back.  Because it required me to change my sump's baffles spacing, it sat unused for a few months.  It's basically the tallest thing that will fit under my stand while still leaving some breathing room for the rest of the gear.  I'm still kicking myself for not makind the stand a few inches higher.  Live and learn!

I know it's no Cadillac, but it's still quite an upgrade from the Tunze 9002 I have in there currently ;-b

laffy

HomerJ

New sump installed.  I was worried the skimmer would be noisy but it is whisper quier!

Funny how something you think will only take an hour ends up taking a whole day.  Sure, my water change is done, my pumps are clean, but man did that take forever!  I still need to do some tie wrap magic on the power cords, and reinstall the float switches and phosban reactor, but it's getting there.

leemay

nice setup, everything looks great!
can you post a new FTS?

good work

salvini55

Quote from: HomerJ on February 26, 2011, 09:00:04 AM
New sump installed.  I was worried the skimmer would be noisy but it is whisper quier!

Funny how something you think will only take an hour ends up taking a whole day.  Sure, my water change is done, my pumps are clean, but man did that take forever!  I still need to do some tie wrap magic on the power cords, and reinstall the float switches and phosban reactor, but it's getting there.

One task tends to snowball into a few  :D

Very clean! like VERY clean! looks healthy

HomerJ

Quote from: leemay on February 26, 2011, 09:31:39 AM
can you post a new FTS?

Full TANK Shot?  I'm not running a tank.  With a sump that clean, who needs a tank ;-b  Seriously, I tried but I failed with the camera.  Wife is back tonight, will let her take care of the pics.  Stay tuned.

Parisiot

dont know if you are still on this, its been a while since your last post, but how did you do your return/overflow for the 50 gallon?
im about to drill my 50 i got n some input would help

Aquaticfinatic

Parisiot do two holes for 1" PVC and go with a Herbie overflow. To make your overflow box get some glass cut to make a L shape and silicone it in place. Google search or YouTube will help you there. Good luck.  ;D