New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Volume of a Large Pond?

Started by Rollfish, May 11, 2010, 06:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rollfish

Hey all,

Here's a problem for the math guru's to figure out.

I need to calculate the volume in cubic meters of a large pond.  It's an odd shape, like a double kidney bean.  The surface area is 28,988 sq.ft and the perimeter is 709 ln.ft
The subsurface slope is approx. 6:1

Can anyone figure it out?

Quatro

I picture may help.

We would also need to know the maximum depth.

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Rollfish

Quote from: Quatro on May 11, 2010, 07:02:15 PM
I picture may help.

We would also need to know the maximum depth.

That's an unknown.  If I knew, I would have gotten the answer from all the online calculators....LOL  I figured the 6:1 slope data would be useful to estimate an approximate depth.

Quote from: JetJumper on May 11, 2010, 08:07:26 PM
http://www.practical-water-gardens.com/pondvolumes.htm

try this?

Thanks for the link.  There's plenty of useful calculators and such out there.  Guess without knowing an approximate depth, it'll be difficult to find the total volume of it.

dan2x38

Here is the formula:

V = (Height x Width x Depth) / 231
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

JetJumper

Quote from: Rollfish on May 12, 2010, 07:05:04 AM
Thanks for the link.  There's plenty of useful calculators and such out there.  Guess without knowing an approximate depth, it'll be difficult to find the total volume of it.

Yeah, you are going to need it for sure.  What about an educated Guess? :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Brent Shaver

If you want to know your depth for sure at center.  If you have a small boat as most do for a large pond, go get some fishing line that is colored for length.  If you put a sinker on this for wieght and then used the line to measure the depth it will work although as you know it wont be to the inch but will give you a good idea of how deep you are at center.