New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS History

Started by Nerine, May 25, 2010, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

Just wondering who has any old OVAS newsletters, and I'm talking pre-1990 and anyone know of someone who has a badge from OVAS?

Please pm me if you have any or know of someone who does!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

charlie

Nerine

going to see if I can get some from the library but they aren't all available...only a few ...does anyone else happen to have some hanging around?
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Nerine

Some interesting tidbits I have dug up regarding our club!

the club used to celebrate it's birthday with a celebration during the meeting...cake, bingo, darts, etc  <- this is something we shall bring back!! Next year I will bring a cake! Who's bringing the darts???

Meetings seem to have always been at 7pm, used to be on a Thursday with no meetings in July & August

CAOAC costs in 1960 $4 - included lunch, banquet, identification button, trip through the museum "and whatever else the committee is able to wangle" (May 1960 - Niagara Falls Museum)

Jr OVAS - Formed April 14, 1955 by Mr. Edgar Parisien and Mr. Harvey Wittenberg. 17 members to start and first president was Mr. Terry Wilkie who went on to become a member of the Senior society

From the Junior club: "What is the tastiest fish in the aquarium? This question was recently asked at a Junior Society meeting. the Quiz panel, not having tasted tropical fish, stated that they did not know the answer. The ten year old lad stated "the chocolate Gourami"..."

Another tidbit from the Jr society: "To raise guppies, get a male and a female, keep damp, and remove young"

charlie

Good stuff Nerine, i can go on reading stuff like this for a long time.
Quotethe club used to celebrate it's birthday with a celebration during the meeting...cake, bingo, darts, etc  <- this is something we shall bring back!! Next year I will bring a cake! Who's bringing the darts???

Would be great if we can nail down the clubs birthdate?
QuoteFrom the Junior club: "What is the tastiest fish in the aquarium? This question was recently asked at a Junior Society meeting. the Quiz panel, not having tasted tropical fish, stated that they did not know the answer. The ten year old lad stated "the chocolate Gourami"..."
Definitely something of interst to me.

mseguin

I still have some old paperwork someone donated, haven't had a chance to go through it fully yet, I'll see what I can find

Nerine

March 11, 1954, for the Senior club, Jr was in april...and EVERY newsletter starts with the founding of the club March 11, 1954...it's pretty neat! :)

mseguin

Was going through some very old club paperwork, including old constitution. Several treasurer reports from the late 80's, we had much less money then. Back in 1975, Membership for adults was $7, 3$ for kids, and $9 for families.
What I'm looking for is input from anybody who was involved with the club back then. There's a lot of paperwork about OVAS being involved in an official form with the Museum of Nature and the National Capital Aquarium Steering Committee in establishing a National Capital Aquarium. In fact, several executive were to fly out to BC to meet with a consulting firm to discuss a feasibility study about such a project. Does anyone know what happened to that project? This was around 1988-89.

Nerine

wow interesting...Maybe if we contact the Museum of Nature they might know something too?

charlie

Quote from: mseguin on June 14, 2010, 08:35:43 PM
Was going through some very old club paperwork, including old constitution. Several treasurer reports from the late 80's, we had much less money then. Back in 1975, Membership for adults was $7, 3$ for kids, and $9 for families.
What I'm looking for is input from anybody who was involved with the club back then. There's a lot of paperwork about OVAS being involved in an official form with the Museum of Nature and the National Capital Aquarium Steering Committee in establishing a National Capital Aquarium. In fact, several executive were to fly out to BC to meet with a consulting firm to discuss a feasibility study about such a project. Does anyone know what happened to that project? This was around 1988-89.
Peter LIm where are you  ;), pegasus,Steve Cass, i think these guys might have some info

cichlidicted

clicking on the link Charlie posted .. i see a couple of members that I havn't seen any posts for in a whiiiiiiile.... as Charlie said, since they discussed this topic before they should have some info they can contribute.... this is exciting for some reason lol ....

limmer

I have some old newsletters.  I lent them to Jodie and he gave them back to me.
If you would like to see them, I will get them to you.
I was around when we were in the museum and the push for the Aquarium.
I don't remember much except attending meetings.  Old age or dead brain cells.
I have a few jar show ribbons.

charlie

Nerine it would be awesome if we can get all these newsletter etc digitalized for prosperity, not asking much of you  ;)
Regards

Nerine

Yes! If I can borrow those newsletters it'd be awesome!
My office is being set up this week so I will be able to scan them all!