New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Leeches - just curious

Started by karjean, June 20, 2010, 03:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karjean

I read in a previous thread someone had leeches in their pond. Just how would they get in the pond unless you did transfer them from a plants or rocks taken from an infested pool of water. We would like to start one in the future but i was surprise to find out about this problem.

Brent Shaver

If I remember correctly it was an exsisting pond not something they made.  Not to mention quite large.

JetJumper

Any who, it was a large pond that was existing from what I recall when the person moved into the house?  Birds / and other creatures can transfer fish / leeches / anything you can possibly imagine into the pond.  Hard to avoid, but with proper care of the pond you will have little issues of that magnitude.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

dan2x38

Quote from: karjean on June 20, 2010, 03:56:23 PM
I read in a previous thread someone had leeches in their pond. Just how would they get in the pond unless you did transfer them from a plants or rocks taken from an infested pool of water. We would like to start one in the future but i was surprise to find out about this problem.

Glad to answer for ya... :) Many times the eggs come attached to rocks or plants from another pond. Always clean rocks you can boil them if small enough or leave sit in the hot sun for a day each side then hose off. Plants can be dipped in a 20:1 water:bleech solution to kill unwanted hitchhikers. Also can use Potassium Permanganate (KMnO4) as a plant dip.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Nerine

actually - another way for leeches to get into your pond is crawling, they can crawl outside of the water, also birds can have leeches on them....plus if someone has a pond and it goes neglected for awhile (it doesn't have to be long) you will get all sorts of things inside of it.

There are freshwater, terrestrial and marine leeches...and 90% of leeches will feed off decomposing bodies, open wounds...but there's that other 10%....<insert dramatic music here>
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

karjean

Thank you for the info, i was just wondering about it. Not ready yet for a pond,  it will actually be a few years before since we have to get rid of our septic bed once the city sours are brought in and us hooked to the system.

dan2x38

Always good to research and plan ahead. I did that with saltwater took me over 2 years of research and asking questions before I set one up. Good luck... :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

karjean

Long term project, same as salt water, it will be a few years before i do plunge in it but i do enjoy reading about it and learn from others experience.

Thanks

Jean :)