New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Giant Koi Caught by Fisherman

Started by Severum, September 09, 2010, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severum

I ran into this article and thought it would be interesting for all you pond lovers out there. Likely some of you have already heard about it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1309880/Fisherman-Raphael-Biagini-catches-massive-30lbs-goldfish.html?ITO=1490

Anybody want that in their pond?  :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

bergenm

I guess my guys have a bit more growing to do...  :o

Good to see he let it go after the photo.
Michael

ciaus

JetJumper

Quote from: ciaus on September 09, 2010, 03:16:36 PM
One word: 

PHOTOSHOP

Regards,
Ciaus

I was thinking the same thing.  A fish that size would weigh more then 30lb I would think as well...
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on September 09, 2010, 03:42:58 PM
That makes me think of the following;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emLIgpdbSHw&feature=player_embedded#!

hahah!  I saw that this morning!  HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE NEED THE Lounge back!

jon1985

judging by other fat fish i have seen that size a fish would be pushing 70lbs if not more, unless that is a small man.

Fishnut

Yeah...totally Photoshop!  There's NO WAY a guy can hold a fish that big in that way and look so calm...as in not straining to hold up the fish.  The fingers look proportionally large for the guy's body too.

Dorrie

Because real fish fight back, you'd need a solid line or a bear hug to hold a fish that size. ???
Also... the fish head looks ultra fake. I think it's either photoshop or a foam prop lol

But if you go see the article, the comments reveal the picture is a hoax ::)

Mystery solved! Back into the Mystery Machine gang! :D;D

cichlidicted

hello Friendly OVAS .... missed these chatsss ...
well i can't say its photoshop ... unless the guy who did it was a real pro ... but maybe its a cam trick ... see alot of fisherman push the fish closer to the cam in way that makes the fish loooks bigger ... i think thats what explains the big fingers ...

whatever it is .. i like the topic :D .. and this fish is hot !!

Severum

I agree that the fish is being held close up to the camera to make it look bigger but you can see the guy in squating, likely with his elbows on his knees in order to be able to hold the fish like that. As well, you can see the shadow of the fish's tail in the water.

Anyways, thats what I think. Too many hoaxes and skeptics (me included) around for anything to be innocent and fun anymore. Let the debate continue. :D
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

ajm1961

I've been examining the photo closely as well - if it's been doctored, the guy is incredibly good. As Severum noted, the tail in the water is reflected naturally, the swirls and bubbles around the fisherman indicate proper water movement and drips from the fish. The light on the fish seems natural, and I agree that the fish is being shown closer to the camera making it look somewhat bigger. The fish's proportions seem right IMO. Man, that is one monstruous creature!
My vote is that it is real.
Q: what the heck are these kois/goldfish doing in French waters? Alot of careless hobbyists I suppose. I can't imagine the havoc being done to native species of fish and plants. Too bad...
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

bergenm

I think it's just the angle it has been shot at. You can hold a fish like this when it's out of the water - that's how most people take pictures of fish they've caught.

Here is the same guy holding a 70lb carp, but closer to his body...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Michael

JetJumper

If its not a Photoshop job then its definitly a camera angle job.

Here is a 30lb fish.

If that guy were to hold it 1-2 feet away from himself the fish would look a lot bigger then it is for sure.

So I guess it could be real, just a optical illusion.

White Lightning

There is absolutely no way that that koi is real. Nothing looks real about that picture whatsoever.

BTW I love the watermelon smashing into that brod's mug. Hilarious!