Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hole in the Head HLLE Meds

Started by FocusFin, September 17, 2010, 09:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FocusFin

Hi y'all,

I've got a Tang with what appears to be HLLE but can't find a med to treat it. Both BA's are out of metro+. They have Jungle Labs but it makes no reference to marine use, don't know if that matters.

Has anyone used a med bought locally and if so where do you buy it.

Thanks

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

dan2x38

If you'd like I have a tube of pure Metro 10 grams. You can have it just order me a replacment when it comes in contact me. I think it is less than $20 I forget. I ordered it from MOPs. This one is made by Seachem.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Metronidazole.html

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=2313

I've also used another technique to treat disease by dissolving the Metro into the food. You use Grain Alcohol (pure alcohol). You put some of the alcohol to make flake food damp and add the metro treatment dose. Let it sit open for 24 hrs the alcohol evaporates and the medication is absorbed into the food. You can also use some garlic to make the food taste better to the fish or even use entice. This method if posted on Hikari's website. If you want to try this I have some of the alcohol you can have with the Metro. You can buy it in the liqour store in Quebec 96% alcohol the 4% is water. Sells for $25 a pint so it is expensive. You can drink it too and get no hangover but be careful... ;)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

FocusFin

Thanks Dan,

I got hold of some Selcon which I'm going to soak in Noori because I've not been able to catch the bugger to put in quarantine. If it's poor nutrition this should help.

The alcohol on the other hand... :)
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

dan2x38

Focus - focus it is not for drinking... LOL its for the fish... LOL Hope the little character recovers that is a tough disease. Guess you know the cause?
Voltaire:

FocusFin

:) ;) :D ;D

I thought that I was doing a very good job with feeding, water quality etc...but this indicates otherwise.

The only other factor might be temperature fluctuations  I had a few weeks ago that might have caused stress and/or a spike in alk I noticed also a few weeks ago.
110g saltwater/reef

redbelly

How much algae based food are you feeding your tang and how often?

Are you using one type of food or different types?

Rybren

Have you done a carbon change recently?  There have been some discussions in the RC Chemistry Forum and in various magazines about a possible link between HLLE and carbon dust.  There is a school of aquarists who believe that inadequate rinsing of carbon can leave too much dust that can cause HLLE.

Here's a link to an article in Coral Magazine that discusses HLLE and the possible link to carbon dust.

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/hlle-and-activated-carbon-looking-link
120G Reef

FocusFin

Quote from: redbelly on September 18, 2010, 02:53:37 AM
How much algae based food are you feeding your tang and how often?Are you using one type of food or different types?

I put in one strip 3in X 1 1/2in of Noori everyday and combine two of the four different varieties in the SFBB multipack. So for example, Monday- Emerald Entree/Marine Cuisine, Tuesday-Squid/Omega Brine Shrimp. The Emerald Entree would be the vegetable based part of the diet and is fed in combination 3-4 times per week.

Once a week I feed New Life Spectrum sinking pellets or cyclopese.

Quote from: Rybren on September 18, 2010, 08:15:19 AM
Have you done a carbon change recently?  There have been some discussions in the RC Chemistry Forum and in various magazines about a possible link between HLLE and carbon dust.  There is a school of aquarists who believe that inadequate rinsing of carbon can leave too much dust that can cause HLLE.

I change my carbon every two weeks and run tap water through it for 5 seconds or so. I only use an amount the size of a plum in a media bag.

I need Hole in the Head like I need a hole the head.

110g saltwater/reef

FocusFin

It's been 5 days since I noticed my Tang was developing HLLE. On Friday I began soaking Noori and all foods in Selcon before going in the tank.

The good news it has not progressed beyond what I observed in the first two days and the fish seems to be doing very well. Both the yellow and blue Tang seem to like the Noori soaked in the Selcon so that's a relief.

Thanks to all for the input.

110g saltwater/reef

Rybren

Good to hear that they are stabilising.
120G Reef

dan2x38

Congrats hope they stay on the road to recovery!
Voltaire:

FocusFin

After a week of adding Selcon to the Tang's diet, the recovery is truly remarkable. Not only did the progression cease immediately, the areas that were affected have coloured up and are hardly noticeable, as you can see from the second picture.

In the end it was poor diet and this has been a good lesson for me on how/what to feed.

Sept 17

Sept 24

110g saltwater/reef

Rybren

Great news.

I'll have to remember your solution.  Sounds like it could be worthwhile to use it on a regular basis.
120G Reef