New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

40 Gallon Reef Tank

Started by Cheebs, March 16, 2011, 10:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakrazyone

everything looks natural, simple setup with great results. 

Cheebs

Thanks for the kind comments guys, keep the critiques coming, good or bad :)

Well it's update time again. I changed up my t5 bulbs a bit, and I switched out some of the blue for more purple, and a fantastic looking red bulb. It give the tank a lot more wamrth, and and extra layer of colour that was lacking before. For some reason the red light is also allowing me to take pictures with near exact white blanace, so the pictures you see look just like what you see in person without needing adjustments.

I also cleaned up and streamlined the area around the tank, and picked up an ottoman for the perfect sitting and observing height!

Hookup

That flame angel really pops!!!   Grats

Rybren

Phil,

That tank is really looking good.  Nice work!
120G Reef

delslo

kole18

Hey chubs are those rbta huge amazing!:)

Cheebs

Quote from: Hookup on February 22, 2012, 10:29:31 PM
That flame angel really pops!!!   Grats
Quote from: Rybren on February 22, 2012, 10:37:00 PM
Phil,

That tank is really looking good.  Nice work!
Quote from: delslo on February 23, 2012, 07:41:46 PM
Beautiful tank

Thanks guys!!

Quote from: kole18 on February 23, 2012, 10:19:53 PM
Hey chubs are those rbta huge amazing!:)

Thanks! It's actually an S. Gigantea anemone ;)

smalltownfan

Great job Phil, doesn't look at all like the tank I saw the last time Otis showed it to me.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Cheebs

Thanks! I'll be seeing you soon I think and I'll show you the tank again :)

Cheebs

Well, I finally did it and upgraded my lighting! I purchased an Ecotech Radion G2 aobut a week and a half ago, and I have to say, it looks amazing. I was pleased when my fiancé and tenants said "woah, it looks like the ocean now!". Pics to come soon!

raineydays

I will be interested to see/hear how you like the LEDs over the T5s in the long run.  Look forward to seeing how your corals react to the new lighting.  Beautiful tank!

xenon

Quote from: Chubs on December 05, 2012, 01:27:49 PM
Well, I finally did it and upgraded my lighting! I purchased an Ecotech Radion G2 aobut a week and a half ago, and I have to say, it looks amazing. I was pleased when my fiancé and tenants said "woah, it looks like the ocean now!". Pics to come soon!

Looking forward to those pics.

What color spectrum did you decide on for your daytime?

ceci

Your set up is perfection!

How much height is between your suspended lights and the top of the tank? a 1/4 to 1/3 foot?

Thanks to you I'm heading to home depot tonight (you know you're obsessed with fish when this is how you choose to spend your friday night).

Salt water has always intimidated me......I have 4 fresh water tanks, all planted....seeing you pull it off in a 40G gives me hope :) Maybe in the next year or so I'll get the courage.

Great pictures!!!

Ceci

charlie

Phil you do such a great job with that tank, always admired the simplistic approach you took with this tank from day 1 ,It`s one of the very few marine tanks i`ve seen on this forum that has appeal.
Errol

FocusFin

I've never been able to keep anemones and it's such a shame because I'd love to have one like that in my tank.

Really nice setup.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

FocusFin

Is the background colour a reflection from the last t5 or is it something on the glass. It gives it kind of a sunset look.
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

ramblnpony

Cheebs

Quote from: raineydays on December 16, 2012, 08:16:59 AM
I will be interested to see/hear how you like the LEDs over the T5s in the long run.  Look forward to seeing how your corals react to the new lighting.  Beautiful tank!

thank you! So far so good!

Quote from: xenon on December 16, 2012, 12:35:44 PM
Looking forward to those pics.

What color spectrum did you decide on for your daytime?

I am slacking on getting pictures up! I suffer from something a lot of people online suffer form I think... I always try to get shots of the tank when it looks "perfect", and I am far too hard on myself. People like seeing it in different states anyways, right?

I just did another major re-aquascaping,and I'll snap some photos soon :).

As for my spectrum, once I have my broken laptop back up and running I can get the exact numbers, but I basically have it ramp up slowly throughout the day with blues/reds etc, and it peaks at full blast for a few hours, then ramps back down slowly.

Quote from: ceci on February 22, 2013, 05:09:49 PM
Your set up is perfection!

How much height is between your suspended lights and the top of the tank? a 1/4 to 1/3 foot?

Thanks to you I'm heading to home depot tonight (you know you're obsessed with fish when this is how you choose to spend your friday night).

Salt water has always intimidated me......I have 4 fresh water tanks, all planted....seeing you pull it off in a 40G gives me hope :) Maybe in the next year or so I'll get the courage.

Great pictures!!!

Ceci

Thank you for the kind words Ceci, I'm glad I could help. Did you find those brackets I recommended?

If you ever get in to saltwater, I'll be here to help!

Quote from: charlie on February 22, 2013, 05:30:13 PM
Phil you do such a great job with that tank, always admired the simplistic approach you took with this tank from day 1 ,It`s one of the very few marine tanks i`ve seen on this forum that has appeal.
Errol

Thanks Errol, I always love hearing this from you. Hopefully we can chat at the upcoming auction again.

Quote from: FocusFin on February 22, 2013, 06:10:49 PM
I've never been able to keep anemones and it's such a shame because I'd love to have one like that in my tank.

Really nice setup.

Is the background colour a reflection from the last t5 or is it something on the glass. It gives it kind of a sunset look.

Thanks! Keeping this monster anemone hasn't been easy over the years, but it's my favorite creture in there. It doesn't quite, "roam", but sometimes it gets in a mood and shifts a bit, and engulfs a coral and takes it out completely. I've lost quite a few this way, so with my new aquascape I tried to isolate it a bit. I used to feed it 3 times a week in ym 75 and it was HUGE. I find feeding once a week now keeps in manageable.

The background colour is indeed a reflection of the T5s :) Of course with the radion, that red strip doesn't show up, but then again, now i have all sorts of colour options!

Quote from: ramblnpony on February 23, 2013, 09:11:53 AM
One word. "Spectacular!"

Thank you!

Stussi613

I thought I had replied to this, but it looks like I didn't.

This is, in all honesty, one of the nicest looking tanks I have ever seen.  I saw the pics for the first time and I was amazed, but viewing them now on my IPS monitor I'm just blown away.

This gets my vote for best looking tank of the year so far on OVAS and makes me want a saltwater tank even more.

Just outstanding.
I haz reef tanks.

Cheebs

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 25, 2013, 05:00:05 PM
I thought I had replied to this, but it looks like I didn't.

This is, in all honesty, one of the nicest looking tanks I have ever seen.  I saw the pics for the first time and I was amazed, but viewing them now on my IPS monitor I'm just blown away.

This gets my vote for best looking tank of the year so far on OVAS and makes me want a saltwater tank even more.

Just outstanding.

Wow, this comment blew me away... Thank you very much!!