New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pond Filter question

Started by Aquafreak2, March 28, 2011, 12:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquafreak2

I am thinking of building a pond and I was wondering? I have an old pool filter and sump pump.   I was thinking of using the sump pump and pumping the water through the pool filter.  I would fill the filter with plastic pot srubbers and lava rock to create a good medium for Bacteria to colonate and do it's job or should I use filter sand?.  I would also use ovesized tubing to regulate the flow 1" intake to the pump and 2" output to the waterfall.   Does anyone see a problem with this.  Off course I would properly rinse out the pump and filter before using (in case of chlorine contamination).  I would also not run the pump 24 hr straight,  I would probably run it during the day and evening and then intervals of 2 on 2 off overnight.

Thanks

Fishnut

The pump might be usable but I wouldn't suggest using the pool filter and sump as an exclusive filter.  You need something to remove the physical waste that is accessible in order to regularly clean the solids out of the system before they break down into liquid waste.

I would also not recommend turning the filter off at all.  When water stops passing through the filter, you can easily create aerobic bacteria...the bad bacteria that smells like rotten eggs.  It really should be running all the time.

Cbellehumeur

I agree with fishnut...never shut off the pump. It should run 24/7...soooo the pool pump might not be a good idea. I really wanted to try the pool pump myself but i figured going out and buying a proper pump will save me money in hydro in the long run. I actually went to princess auto and bought a non-oil 24hr submersible pump for $100. But it's so powerful that i have to run 2 filters and a waterfall off of it. I'm not sure how long this pump will last but so far i've gotten 3 seasons out of it. PA also offers a 3 year warrenty on it. To go to a pet store and buy a pump you're looking at $300-500 so PA is a good choice. They have like 10 to choose from.

Aquafreak2

Thank you for your comments.  For clarity, the pump is a sump pump and not a pool pump that I have, it's a flotech 1/4 hp which pumps pretty good.  The pool filter is the pressurized systems and from what I have seen on the net they sell these systems for ponds at very high price and as for being able to clean it you could just do a backwash of the system every 2 weeks or as needed.  One site suggested putting your sump pump in a plastic milk crate wrapped in a coarse filter pad and filled with lava rock creating another filter in your system. I think this would be pretty effective as a pre-filter.