New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My 30g Salt Tank :)

Started by Feivel, May 03, 2011, 07:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feivel

Well, To start i picked up this tank set-up about 2-3 months ago.
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action-view&current=CIMG4579.jpg
Came with a seaclone100 skimmer(Junk) and MJ1200 pump (made the seaclone worth it). The glass is drilled, Overflowbox and sump with stand with a bit of sand. I then cleaned out all the big chunks out of the sand and gave it a good rince http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action-view&current=CIMG4598-Copy.jpg

I picked up a RO/DI system.
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action=view&current=CIMG4692.jpg
I put some new filters that were included and now I know why salties have so much patience.
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action=view&current=CIMG4738-Copy.mp4 :)
It took 36 hours to fill the tank. i think my RO is blocked hence why the flow is so slow. i have a new one just didnt know i have to change it. I acquired some instant oceans salt. Refractometer. I am mixing the salt in the tank as i am typing. I picked up a set of 4 bulb Tek lights 24", they were just about 3inches short from being able to clip on the side of the tank so i came up with a good idea :)
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action=view&current=CIMG4739-Copy.jpg
sheared up a piece of 1/4" aluminum. i figured it wouldnt be much trouble as it is over the tank and not touching the water

Can't Wait to get some life in there :)
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action=view&current=CIMG4737.jpg

My new tank stand is work in progress :)
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action=view&current=CIMG4733.jpg

Will keep you posted with updates. Thanks for reading :) P.S. feel free too check out the other pics i have some of my 90g freshwater, and a couple other school projects :)
Cheers
Seb

Hookup

good starts for sure... and nice looking bbq.  in your photobucket too!

if you put [ IMG ]  <YOUR LINK TO PHOTO> [ /IMG ]  you'll embed the photos.. (no spaces)

dan2x38

Great start! I it is fun following along with someone's build as they put it together. Look forward to more updates.  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Feivel

thanks hook-up, i tried to modify my post but it was just showing up as a broken link so i put it back the way it was. It's pretty fun and exciting actually, can't wait to set up a clean up crew and some liverock :) Get me some frags and watch them grow.
I want to put a banghai cardinal, 2 Nemo Fish for my daughter (male female) gotta have an anemony for them. a goby (the white and orange one) a tiger pistol shrimp. Zoo's, Monti cap, Torch, Hammercoral, mushrooms,leather, see how I do with those and maybee some SPS when i get the hang of it and a little more equipment. My water is now at 1.15 salt ... need to bring it up a touch still. Roughly in about a month i will get Eco-Reehttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=homefer dry rock. Funds are tight being a student. Thats when I will start to have some fun :) I plan on getting some CUC for now. Seed the sand? and watch them go for a month untill i can upgrade again.

Patience is a salties best friend isn't it ??? lol :)
cheers guys and thanks for the support

JetJumper

If you click on the "Get URLs" button it will come up with the "Direct Link" which is what you want.

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Darth

sounds great so far, as far as your sg, I keep mine at 1.026 and livestock you are gonna have to wait a bit before adding an anenenome you are gonna wait at least a year imo and they are neccessary for clowns. I had some that would host in my feather duster

dan2x38

If you want some cheato with pods and critters to seed with let me know you can have a batch for a starter.
Voltaire:

Feivel

http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action=view&current=CIMG4744.jpg
Some progress on the stand.

I have now a 1.025 salt content. and will let it sit for a two-three weeks untill i can afford some eco-reefer dry rock.
i will also have to finish the stand and set up the tanks in it. :)

Getting there

dan thanks for the offer but i dont think im ready for it yet. I also have Phil (NjOyRiD) helping me out with my build.

Patience is a salties best friend :)

Hookup

Given it's steel i don't think it'll make a diff, but you might have considered putting the frame on top of the legs as opposed to inside the legs.  This would have compression on the frame and not shearing force on the weld.

Nice work though, I do wish I had a steel frame so I could make waves in my tank..

are you adding a wave-maker type device or anything that would make waves?

Greatwhite

Might want to consider a better skimmer... Seaclone isn't great, even on a 30.

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on May 04, 2011, 01:34:21 PM
Nice work though, I do wish I had a steel frame so I could make waves in my tank..
[Off_Topic]
You mean you haven't gone swimming in your tank yet?? :P

Feivel

Progress report on the stand, at this rate i think i will be done tommorow :)
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action=view&current=CIMG4750.jpg

It's a long tedious task to grind and file every edge to make sure my daughter doesn't slit her fingers open on the stand.
I still cant figure out how to post the picture as did jetjumper. i tried the [ img] [ /img] but just get a broken link.

Hookup

Quote from: Feivel on May 05, 2011, 03:16:57 PM
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action=view&current=CIMG4750.jpg

It's a long tedious task to grind and file every edge to make sure my daughter doesn't slit her fingers open on the stand.
I still cant figure out how to post the picture as did jetjumper. i tried the [ img] [ /img] but just get a broken link.

Clicking yoiur link you will see, on the Right Hand Side, a list of fields in a box titled "Share this Photo"
You'll see;
* email & IM
* direct link
* HTML code
* IMG code

Click your mouse in the IMG Code field - it should copy the contents and say "copied".  If not, highlight it all and copy it.

Paste it into your message and there ya go..

JetJumper

Hookup explained it   :)

Darth

Quote from: Feivel on May 05, 2011, 03:16:57 PM

if you use the tools in the reply second row of icons 4th icon in you will see the image buttom just paste your link in between the code I think you spaced the [img] looks like [ img] imstead but if you use the button it's easier

Hookup

But you need to reference the file not the photo bucket application...  His links cannot work... Need the direct link... 

Feivel

dan2x38

By George George I think he's got it... ;) It is the better way to do photo posts b/c you can directly comment on each one instead of uploading then referencing above the list of pics. But I am to lazy to go to 2 websites upload there then code back here... spend all my time on my tank and the play-offs.
Voltaire:

Feivel

I finished the frame, finally spent all and i mean ALL day die-grinding,filing,de-burring,sanding all the tiny pieces involved, every inside and outside edge so no one can get slice open their fingers, and a little bit of welding adding the feet on the bottom. I placed them all at 1x1 from the edge just to help it keep balance. I noticed how tipsy the other stand was and wanted to avoid a potential CaTaStRoPhY. Im going to paint it a baby blue. i will post another picture after its painted and with the granite and another after i get it all set-up

Maybee get a couple snails and Hermits from AV, there cheap and its something to look at till i can afford my LR :)
cheers
Seb

LittleX

ryancarman.com

i've seen that tank before....  8)

Rybren

VERY nice job on the stand.
120G Reef

Feivel

thanks, i spent about 6-7 hours just on the little insert pieces, cutting each one at 1" and de burring/sanding the sharp edges. Im painting as we speak, I put on the clear coat while the blue was still a bit tacky, I think it made a reaction to the tacky paint cause i see kinda veins apear in the paint ......  :( we will see in the morning

I HAVE LIVESTOCK WOO HOO!!! lol
I checked out marniescape earlier cool little place. I bought 5 hermit crabs but one wasn't in the shell when I got home ... booo!

Will post some follow up tommorow :)
Cheers
Seb

NjOyRiD

why you bought cleanign crew when you have no live rock?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

dan2x38

Very nice job on the stand! WOW you must have been of grinding after all that finishing. But hey it shows in the finished product and safe for your daughter. Again nice job cool stand.
Voltaire:

Feivel

Woot Woot Finished the stand, 142 insert pieces, 284 edges filed about 10 hours later it's now painted and ready to set-up :) gonna go hit up a couple garage sales let my RO/DI fill up a bit to fill my sump. I need to put some felt pads between the granite and the frame so off to the DollarStore :) Im going to get some velcro to stick a curtain under the frame to hide the sump.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/CIMG4768.jpg[/img]

Feivel

Here we go all set-up :)

Im going to let it sit overnight to see if the fog will settle. if it doesn't any suggestions? and also my skimmer isn't working properly. the bubbles dont make it to the cup just flows down the exit. i dont get nothing out of the top. Yes I know it's a P.O.S., no i do not have money to buy a different one till the summertime so i will have to make-due with this for now.

Here's a short video of it at "work" sorry my camera died and it's only 2 seconds long.
(i pasted the link in case it doesn't show on the forum.)
http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc445/larabieseb/?action=view&current=CIMG4776.mp4

Notice how it sounds like an amusement park??? anyone have any tricks to make it quieter? maybee after i fill the sump a little more it will be more quiet? also the mj1200 is sitting against the bottom of the tank and making a vibration sound. pretty annoying. how can i get it off the bottom of the tank? it is attached to the skimmer.

JetJumper

The skimmer should have some sort of flow adjustment which you can allow the water to build up in the reaction chamber.  They usually take a bit of fine tuning in order to get set just right, but once you have it set the way you want it you shouldn't have to change it around again.

dan2x38

Is it a new skimmer or used? If it is used check the connection the air line goes to make sure it isn'r plugged up or the hole size reduced from salt/calcium build-up. If us a little drill bit between your fingers to clear it. The noise will get better once the plumbing breaks in more. Someone told me that I thought ya right buddy... LOL after 2 -3 weeks it was much better. I also found by having the line to sump just barely above the water it was much quieter. You can tweak this as time goes on.

Voltaire:

Feivel

yeahs its a used unit, the main problem is it doesnt bubble all the way up, everything is clean i thought maybee a o ring was missing or something, as for the sound i find that if i lift it about 3" off the bottom it gets quieter, runs a bit smoother, so it must be the vibrations and echo's from inside the tank walls???

So .... next project, acrylic or plastic 3" lifter for the P.O.S. skimmer. Maybe just use a tupperware and flip it upside down underneath it and tie-wrap :)

Also I used a blue plastic pot scrubber and tie wrapped it to my return pump so it doesnt jiggle on the bottom either. Also a couple added in the bottom of the overflow box to dim the sound.

Sump half full of water, gotta up my salt im at 1.020 need 1.025

RossW

Dollar store tupperware is the way I would go, they also have some plastic stuff with holes already which I would use.

Quote from: Feivel on May 08, 2011, 06:30:08 AM
So .... next project, acrylic or plastic 3" lifter for the P.O.S. skimmer. Maybe just use a tupperware and flip it upside down underneath it and tie-wrap :)

Feivel

First piece of live rock in the tank :) Pic taken first day, Nothing was open when i put it in the tank but it's FULL of GSP .... Pretty cool, I wasn't expecting it to sprout out like it did. Another think i love is when you stick you hand in the tank the all hide. The second pic on the bottom is a nice pic of the GSP opened up taken about a week later, I alos turned the rock on to the right, put the bare part down and free'd up someof the  GSP buried in the sand. LOOKS GREAT! even with only one piece of rock. The water cleared up also. The Skimmer just decided to work all of a sudden, I guess the super fresh water was too clean to bubble up??? it was about 3 days later when it started to bubble over.

Can't wait to fill the tank with some more goodies :)
Cheers
Seb

Will keep up progress reports.

ryancarman.com

hey sill question is the power head attached directly to the bottom of the skimmer or is there a piece of pipe on it????

Feivel

Heres some updated pictures. i finaly got some live rock from malyon who was closing his nano tank. I have a friend who has a couple corals to give me also as starter gifts. I will post some more picures after i get them. Hopefully my move goes well for my tank :) 

Tell me what you think
cheers

dan2x38

Looking good... your moving the tank or your moving? If so any fish in there yet? How long has the substrate been in there again?

One more thing are those pot scrubbies in the overflow box? I do this in filters to add or replace filter media but in freshwater. You can be creating a nitrate sink there which can greatly contribute to algae issues.
Voltaire:

Cheebs

Looking great so far!
  If I could make one small suggestion it would be to isolate that rock with all the star polyps from your other rocks... Or soon enough your whole tank will be star polyps.

Malyon18

Nice rock Seb lol, looks like you had enough.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

Feivel

Im moving to my own appartment the substrate about a month .... month 1/2 but with only 1 piece of rock, no fish yet, and yeah they are pot scrubbers , it was too loud and i didnt have any rubble, i used that to muffle the sound.

Yeah ive been told it spreads like mad, how would i isolate it? keep it from touching the rest?

yeah its enough in the display, might get a few extra lbs for the sump.

theres one piece of rock seemed like it had a white membrane underit, what was that?

Malyon18

I think it was some kind of sponge but I am not entirely sure
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

Feivel

Finally done moving :) everything went well and my leathers didn't even loose any fingers, although it does look like it's giving me one lol. they withstood 2 moves in a short period of time.

Above is the new rock set-up with a whole bunch of caves. everywhere

Heres picture of my new frags :)

Going to go get some CUC and possibly a new skimmer to replace my POS seaclone and if the price is right a clown, green chromis and a coral banded shrimp.

Post some more progress shortly

JetJumper

Feivel

thanks for the help and support guys :)

(i havent been keeping up as much due to the lack of internet at my new APT.)

Thunda

Feivel

So i just bought this Reef Octopus Skimmer. It's replacing a SeaCRAPCLONE skimmer I was given with my original purchase. After reading up about how horrible it was and that i would feel guilty even giving it to any fellow salty, I knew I had to buy another one. So almosr a year later here i am.  Having one skimmed maybee an inch in total accumualtion in time am absolutely stoked at the fact the R-O has already, OVERNIGHT skimmed an inch in the container AND it's probably twice the size as the S-C Skim cup. Only thing i dont like is it;s a HOB but still Loving the New SKimmer :)

Check out my 90g Custom build and tell me what you think i need some design flaws checks. Anything else you think i could "add" to the design would be appreciated thanks :)

Cheers
Seb

Feivel

Reminissing, back 3 years ago when i was just fresh into the hobby. How the tank has transformed and come a long way from this to my current setup.

Cheebs