New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone need goldfish and feel like a rescue mission?

Started by Janny, May 25, 2011, 09:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janny

I was out looking for my lost cat tonight (long story - she's still lost :( ) and my daughter spotted a ton of goldfish in a spot on a creek that's locked in. Looked like there were probably 50 or so, maybe 2 to 3 inches long. It's in north Kanata.

Anyone who might be interested in rescuing them, let me know and I will give you directions.

Jan

Cbellehumeur

sidish note...did you look on used ottawa, kijiji, and humane society websites....they all post lost and found animals. I really hope you find your cat!!!   :'(

Janny

Quote from: Cbellehumeur on May 25, 2011, 10:00:10 PM
sidish note...did you look on used ottawa, kijiji, and humane society websites....they all post lost and found animals. I really hope you find your cat!!!   :'(

Thank you! Yes, we have. I even registered with the city as they occassionally get calls and they also pick up the deceased animals too. No word yet but we have some potential spottings in the area from the weekend. *crossing fingers*

We're hoping with everything we have... We lost our 14 1/2 year old dog in December so this is tough on all of us.

Nerine

yikes, guess someone dumped them?

I hope you find kitty!! one of ours vanished for over a month, we thought for sure she was gone gone...and one day, after a huge rain storm, she came home, cold wet and hungry!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Shawn84

I can help you take some. My brother 2 pond is in need of goldfish. :)
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Janny

Shawn, I just sent you a PM. :)

And wanted to clarify that they aren't mine - I just saw them when we were out walking and thought someone might want to rescue them.

Nerine, they were probably dumped.  :(

Thanks for the encouragement about kitty. She's "escaped" before but she has always come home. She's a skittish little thing and has no hunting instinct at all, is terrified of people (except our family and the very odd rare person), hides under the bed when there is a storm, etc. She's been gone since Friday night, and my gut says that if she COULD have made it home she absolutely would have.  :'(

Fishnut

Please PM me too.  There's nothing worse than aquarium fish that have been released into "nature".

Janny

Quote from: Fishnut on May 25, 2011, 11:45:32 PM
Please PM me too.  There's nothing worse than aquarium fish that have been released into "nature".

PM sent.

YAY for OVAS!

Jan

HappyGuppy

Shawn84

I was just there at the creek. Wahh theres like almost 100 of them there maybe about 30-40 goldfish and then a bunch of dark color one and a group of schooling fish that i could not tell what they were. I was only manage to catch 3 :( My catching skill not the greatest. There also so many hiding spot for them to hide in that it make it almost impossible to catch. I think OVAS should do a rescue mission on these fish.
A bunch a fishes.....

gvv

Wow, glad that it is not piranha that was dumped...
This is not a joke, read that in some east European country piranha was found in the lake and it survived winter because of some power plant nearby "warming" the water.

charlie

This is really sad, perhaps someone can contact the conservation authorities?
I tried the City of Ottawa but after some research on their part they said the Creek does not come undertheir jurisdiction & was not quite sure who might be the best agency to contact.

Fishnut

I want volunteers with nets and buckets that can go out and catch the fish Saturday morning.  We can all meet at the creek at 10:00am.  I'll get in touch with the person who owns the property to make sure they're ok with all these people decending on their creek to scoop out the fish.

If we get enough people, I'll contact the media about our rescue mission.  It would be FANTASTIC exposure for OVAS if we were on the news protecting the environment and we'll have to appoint someone to speak in front of the camera about the importance of not letting captive fish go in Canada!!

I'll start my research, everyone else volunteer!!  If you can show up in Kanata at 10:00am on Saturday, say so in this thread please.

charlie

Great initiative Sylvia, i will try to be there. I sent you a PM on some info.

Janny

I love you folks.

I will definitely be there, along with my "spotter", Josie.

:D

Shawn84

I would love to help out but i`m working that morning. Just on the side note the schooling fish are a dark color and sorta blend in with the rock and mud of the creek. There a few big gold fish. around 4-5inch. The schooling fish are the hardest to see. Good luck everyone and i hope you get them all :)
A bunch a fishes.....

HappyGuppy

I live walking distance from this creek (Janny, is it the one just down the road from the Shell gas station?).  I wish that I could attend, but I am going to be doing a seminar at the scout camp this weekend, otherwise I'd be there with nets & kids to help.  I wish all of you luck "fishing" as many out as possible, but for what it is worth I doubt that all can be caught.  Furthermore I believe that goldfish are already in other local waters and are perfectly capable of surviving the winters - after all they survive in deep enough ponds.  Yet another on the list of alien species, sigh.

Shawn84

A bunch a fishes.....

Sharbuckle

Last year in the ponds running along side the queensway, just off of campeau drive, there were thousands upon thousands of goldfish, its a sad reality that people actually dump these fish off and let them die. If i'm not working ill let a hand. Will find out tommorow. Where abouts is the creek?

HappyGuppy

tip:  The dollar store sells nets, for just a $1, that are on 4' long sticks.  Perfect tool available cheap to anyone who can attend.  I'd think that floating fish food, or even bread, could be used for bait.  Just my 2 cents.

dan2x38

Can a net be used? Does the creek dump into anywhere else? Netting might be better?

If everyone starts getting into the water it will become cloudly and all the fish will hide. HappyGuppy good idea with the bait and then maybe a large net set to catch them would be more productive. Patience is likely better than the Shot Gun approach... ;) meaning just point he gun and pull the trigger. Ever catch fir flies? Know how? You move your open hand out slow and steady then just close your hand carefully slowly on the fire fly... same as fish. Bunch of folks thrashing around and good luck.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

OK folks.  Thanks for your patience.  This is what's happening...

As of this moment, this is not an OVAS event.  It is something that I am personally co-ordinating and as a result, I don't feel it's my place to contact the media...which really sucks because the public really needs to know that releasing non-native fish into native waters is bad for the fish and the environment.

So since this is something I am doing, anyone who is interested in volunteering MUST send me an email telling me who you are and who is coming with you.  I will give you directions to the property in my response.

EVERYONE who participates will be REQUIRED to sign a waiver, releasing OVAS, the exec and the property owner from any liability for injuries, damages to your personal property, etc. while on this rescue mission.  Technically, this is not an OVAS event but since I'm using the OVAS system to co-ordinate this, I don't want to risk any misconceptions or misunderstandings.  If you don't want to sign it, please don't go because It'll save me the trouble of asking you to stay clear.

Cheers
Sylvia
sylvia[delete this bit 660569b8098ec][insert an at symbol here]century21capital[insert a dot here]ca

Nerine

Thank you very much Sylvia for organizing this :)

And best of luck! Wish I could attend tomorrow but I'm lacking a sitter :( I hope you all are able to catch the critters!!

Please take a lot of photos and send them and a little article over and we'll have it in the OVAS newsletter and I will send it to a few different papers and hopefully raise some awareness of the evils of dumping fish.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dan2x38

Side Note - why can't OVAS just contact the press for interest story. Explain just the issue of releasing any fish, plants, algae, corals, etc. into nature. There could be a mention how there are several areas reported to have foreign species already invading our water ways. The club could be mentioned as well and it has regular meetings and fun events.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

Quote from: Fishnut on May 27, 2011, 09:38:34 PM
As of this moment, this is not an OVAS event.  It is something that I am personally co-ordinating and as a result, I don't feel it's my place to contact the media...which really sucks because the public really needs to know that releasing non-native fish into native waters is bad for the fish and the environment.

???