New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone need goldfish and feel like a rescue mission?

Started by Janny, May 25, 2011, 09:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Can a net be used? Does the creek dump into anywhere else? Netting might be better?

If everyone starts getting into the water it will become cloudly and all the fish will hide. HappyGuppy good idea with the bait and then maybe a large net set to catch them would be more productive. Patience is likely better than the Shot Gun approach... ;) meaning just point he gun and pull the trigger. Ever catch fir flies? Know how? You move your open hand out slow and steady then just close your hand carefully slowly on the fire fly... same as fish. Bunch of folks thrashing around and good luck.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

OK folks.  Thanks for your patience.  This is what's happening...

As of this moment, this is not an OVAS event.  It is something that I am personally co-ordinating and as a result, I don't feel it's my place to contact the media...which really sucks because the public really needs to know that releasing non-native fish into native waters is bad for the fish and the environment.

So since this is something I am doing, anyone who is interested in volunteering MUST send me an email telling me who you are and who is coming with you.  I will give you directions to the property in my response.

EVERYONE who participates will be REQUIRED to sign a waiver, releasing OVAS, the exec and the property owner from any liability for injuries, damages to your personal property, etc. while on this rescue mission.  Technically, this is not an OVAS event but since I'm using the OVAS system to co-ordinate this, I don't want to risk any misconceptions or misunderstandings.  If you don't want to sign it, please don't go because It'll save me the trouble of asking you to stay clear.

Cheers
Sylvia
sylvia[delete this bit 6606d0e657631][insert an at symbol here]century21capital[insert a dot here]ca

Nerine

Thank you very much Sylvia for organizing this :)

And best of luck! Wish I could attend tomorrow but I'm lacking a sitter :( I hope you all are able to catch the critters!!

Please take a lot of photos and send them and a little article over and we'll have it in the OVAS newsletter and I will send it to a few different papers and hopefully raise some awareness of the evils of dumping fish.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dan2x38

Side Note - why can't OVAS just contact the press for interest story. Explain just the issue of releasing any fish, plants, algae, corals, etc. into nature. There could be a mention how there are several areas reported to have foreign species already invading our water ways. The club could be mentioned as well and it has regular meetings and fun events.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Fishnut

Quote from: Fishnut on May 27, 2011, 09:38:34 PM
As of this moment, this is not an OVAS event.  It is something that I am personally co-ordinating and as a result, I don't feel it's my place to contact the media...which really sucks because the public really needs to know that releasing non-native fish into native waters is bad for the fish and the environment.

???