New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Pico Mania

Started by gerryo, June 10, 2011, 11:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerryo

I know that there is some controversy as to what constitutes a PICO tank.  Some EXPERTS say that a Pico is 2 gallons or less.  Others work up to 10 gallons, because a reef tank don't work as anything less. 

Don't ask me.  I just play with tanks.  I think that the neatest Pico that I have seen is the one started by Rybren (Jerry) in Orleans.  His 3 gallon Cookie Jar is fantastic.  He even made his own LED lighting.  WOW.  8)

Anyway, here I go with mine.

Starting with a 5.5g tank, how do you go about this.

I needed a self contained system that could more or less look after itself.  OK, that's not possible.  My 54g works very well with its sump system and plenty of live rock for filtration.  Now, how in blazez do you attach a sump to a 5.5g tank.  OK, I'll tell you.

The headboard of our bed has a top shelf, and a compartment under for the storage of books and other junk.  This compartment is a natural for a sump hole.  Pics will come later.

Then I had to drill the back of the 5.5 to install the drain and return line.  I already had the Nano Kit from Glass Holes, so the process began.  I had tried to drill 2 previous small tanks without success.  The glass in small tanks is very thin so "cracks happen".  Very nerve racking, but it worked this time.  ( I have a couple of cracked tanks, for sale, CHEAP )

So now I got most of the fittings, and a 2.5 gallon tank for the sump, and now need to get these two tanks hooked together.

More to come later.

gerryo

These are pics of the tanks, and where they wiil be situated.

Severum

That'll be fun. Looking forward to the build thread. I hope you dont ever end up with a leak. That'll be a wake-up call for sure.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

gerryo

Got the glass cut for the bubble trap and now comes the slow process of siliconing the pieces in place.  :D

Had to make a couple of fittings for the drain and return lines.  Apparently the sizes used in the USA are different than what's used here so had to glue things together.   ???

I am going to start off using the Rapid LED Par 30 bulb unit.  This has 2 bright white LEDs and 3 blues.  Let's see what this does, and if not sufficient then I will get their Par 38 and add it on.  I already have a fixture partly built for this set up. Their Par 38 has 7 LEDs including their new Royal Blue Actinic.

HappyGuppy

I'll be lurking this thread with interest.  I've seen Rybren's amazing pico.  I've spent time looking at picos online and just love the concept.  Good luck with yours!

gerryo

So far the sump is quite a mess.  With it being so small, it was difficult to get the bubble trap installed cleanly.  Lots of extra silicon to seal things up and it sure looks a mess.  But it works.

I have encountered a couple of minor leaks around the drain and the return at the DT.  More silicon around here will seal these up as well.  Gotta keep the silicon company in business.

I have used new sand, used water, and lots of dry rock rubble.  With the use of coral rock from my other tanks this should work out just fine.

Rybren

Good luck with the build Gerry.  It seems like every time I turn around, you've started a new build.

Keeps ya young.
120G Reef

gerryo

Yes, and frustrated, and broke, and in the dog house.

I'm a glutton, I know.

gerryo

I also forgot to mention that part of the reason that I am always starting new tanks is that the ones that are discarded did not work.   >:(   :'(

Yes, that's nobodys fault but my own.  And I promise to do something about that.

There should be some kind of oath that we reefers have to make that prevents us from experimenting with the lives of our corals, inverts and fishes.

This one will be different in that I will be using the KISS Principle and will only put in those things that I know how to manage.

Simple corals like Shrooms, Zoos, and Buttons.  Simple CUC like Blue Legs, Astrea and Sand Burrowing Snails.  And 1  or 2  small fish like the Little Gobies.  :-\ :-[

gerryo

OK.  I've got water in, all drains and return sealed, even an LED light over it, 10 lbs. Live Sand from Carib Sea, some dead rock, and lots and lots of hope.   ;) ;D

I'm looking for some way to re-seed the rock to make it active again.  I don't have room for more new live rock so have to find some way to restart the bacteria and pods etc.  Can this be bought live from our LFS's?   ??? :-\

I thought that maybe with the tank and sump so close to my head, that the water gurgling down the drain would bother me at night.  Not a sound !!  Maybe that's because I'm deaf, but my wife can't hear it either.  I guess I did something right, at last.  :D

Now I need a couple weeks of patience and good luck.   ::) 8)

gerryo

OOPS.  I forgot the pics.

Rybren

Gerry,

Looks good.

You may want to reconsider using the metal hose clamps - they likely won't last and may cause some issues for you down the road.  I just use Zip ties.

It looks to me like you have some room for a couple of small pieces of live rock in the tank or in the sump.  They'd eventually help populate the tank.  I can give you some chaeto as well.
120G Reef

gerryo

Hi Jerry.

All my hose clamps are the "all stainless variety".  I have used these for quite some time and have no problems with them.  They usually last much longer than my tanks.  LOL

Has anyone got any good ideas on how to start the cycle?  Nothing is happening in here.  All the live rock that I will be putting in here has Corals on it, so I don't think I should be putting this in just yet.  I have been using a filter sock in the sump and it has really worked at clearing up the water.  The sand that I put in is called "LIVE SAND" but I don't see anything live in there.

Maybe something dead will get the cycle going?????

Rybren

Gerry,

You could add a cup of sand from the 54G tank.  You could also add a small piece of shrimp.  Are you measuring the ammonia, 'trites, and 'trates?
120G Reef

gerryo

That cup of sand idea sounds good to me.  Thanx Jerry.   ;D

No, I'm not measuring yet.  I usually wait until I have a diatom bloom in the tank before I comit to having a cycle.  I guess that it couldn't hurt to know for sure.

gerryo

The Params. are;

Temp.         76.1
S.G.            1.026
Ammonia    0
Nitrite         0
Nitrate       5.0

Looks fairly good.  :D

gerryo

Tried the cup of sand.    ???  No change in parameters.

Maybe I'm too impatient.   

gerryo

I made a mistake !!!   Now, that's not easy to admit. :(

When I had the baffles cut for the 2.5g sump, I had them cut too tall.  I know why I did that.  Everything seemed too small so compensated a bit.  NOT GOOD.

With the water and bubbles rising in the sump there was actually some spray overflowing the tank. 

Cut one of the baffles out this morning and will need to have an inch cut off the top.

But first, a question.  Is it better to have 4 baffles rather than 3.  What I mean is, is it better to have the water and bubbles rise from the overflow pipe, then travel down, up, down, and up again before the return?

While I had just the three baffles in there, there were no microbubbles into the DT.

gerryo

When I redone the baffles and got the water levels down to a reasonable height I also put that useless little skimmer into the sump.  All that did was prove just how useless the skimmer is.  I have never seen so many microbubbles.  Even with the baffles improved and decreased flow (these MJ return pumps have a precise flow adjustment) the bubbles were unmanageable.

I have removed the skimmer and will wait for the canister filter to remove the last bits of "dust" from the DT.  I will also add carbon and GFO into the canister.

I am finally seeing a very little bit of cycle in the tank but don't think this will last very long.  I will start adding corals and live rock when the filter comes.

gerryo

Something I keep forgetting about is a CUC.

If I am not going to have any fish in here, what should the CUC consist of.  Just snails and blue legs?

Rybren

Hi Gerry,

Glad to see that you're progressing with the build.  For CUC, I'd just go with a couple of snails for starters.  If you don't have fish and you're not feeding anything, then you really only need some critters to eat the algae.

I'd also add that live rock sooner rather than later,

120G Reef

gerryo

Good morning Jerry.

I agree about the CUC.  I just need to be sure that what I get will actually eat the algea.  I haven't had good luck with that.

Also about the live rock.  But the LR that will be going in here already has some corals on them.  Xenia, Button polyps, even a big piece of Blue Sponge.   All of these I got from a good friend when I was in need of help.  Thanx again.

gerryo

Got the Zoo-Med 501 Canister Filter today.  Took about 10 minutes to hook up, then fit into the sump.  There is only the foam filter and carbon in there for now.  The filter does run backwards, so will find some foam to go in the other half and switch the carbon over and add the GFO.  Simple.

This filter will take out any dust that I stir up, and will clean the water so that the corals have a better chance than they have had to date.

I will start to move some of the smaller pieces of rock into here when I get the canister switched over. 

I also have another small Koralia Pico on the way for water movement.  Hope it doesn't stir up more dust.

gerryo

The Hydor Pico arrived.  I ordered a Pico Evolution which moves 70 gph.  What I got is a Pico evo.mag which moves 180 gph.  Yes it raises some dust, but I am able to move some rock into it's way so it doesn't disturb the sand.  This will settle down after a couple of days.

The Pico .mag has a mag mount so is handier that way, and also includes one of their wavemakers/direction flows so will move water throughout the tank.  Not that there is much of a problem in such a small tank.  Should stir up a storm.

I have moved some softies in here as the cycle seems to have completed.  Just some Mushrooms (green striped and blue), Pulsing Xenia, Button Polyps and probably some aiptasia.  That stuff is everywhere.

I have a large piece of Colt Coral that, very conveniently, split into two stalks but both are on the same piece of rock.  This rock is long and thin - about 1 1/2 ins. in diameter.  Has anyone had any experience at cutting coral rock?  Can it be cut with a fine tooth hacksaw blade?

gerryo

That piece of rock split into two chunks perfectly, with a piece of Colt on each one.

However, the Colt and the Xenia died, and everything else has been gasping for life ever since.  I have done two massive water changes and everything has settled down now.  Waiting for some growth on the Buttons and the Shrooms.

I think that the dying of the Colt (Leather) released some toxins into the water and affected everything else.  Hopefully another water change will finally correct that  and I can get on with populating this tank.

Another set of water tests tomorrow will tell the tale.

gerryo

This tank has ran all winter with very little maintenance and disruption.  The water params stay quite constant but nothing much is happening.  The Mushrooms are still there, but have had NO growth what so ever.

The red Zoos are there but absolutely no growth.  The other Zoos which were grey under T5 lights, are green under LEDs, are healthy, and are the only ones to show some activity.

I also have a small colony of fan worms which are grey under T5 light but green inder LEDs.

In this tank, I have a problem with Hair Algea.  It only grows on the glass, not the rock.  It also has a tendency to grow right in fron of the Hydor first then spreads out from there.  I clean the glass with a scraper, and in two days the algea is back again.  Any suggestions.

I have heard from other guys with Pico tanks that this HA is a problem.

gerryo

The HA finally took over too much and I shut this tank down.

Someday, when we have finished with our move back to Ottawa, I might have the nerve to start another.

Thanx for reading.

sylros

That's too bad. It's always disheartening to shut down a tank.

Were there any lessons learned from this one? I know you were hopefull with using the KISS principle.

Hopefully this is not the end of it, we'll still be here when you come back!
Good luck with your move.
Until next time.

gerryo

Thanx sylros.   :-[

One thing I learned is that you can't move so quickly on small tanks.  They need time to mature a bit before pushing them, just like me.

I think I'll always be around as I have other tanks thet will be moved with me.

gerryo