New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

3D aquarium Background

Started by uarujoey, June 21, 2011, 10:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uarujoey

A horrible picture of an awesome 3D background.....  Just recently filled the tank when picture was taken... so excuse the quality

Only temporary lighting over this tank, just enough to see the background. This is not the lighting i will be using...

Video of everything you need to know about it to come... including: Where to get it, shipping, installing, etc... Also included in the new video is special deal for my viewers that wish to buy one..

Video out tonight!

washefuzzy

uarujoey

Video not working....

Darth

uarujoey

Sorry guys, having issues with that videos playback... i will have it back up by tomorrow.... sorry!

Mike536

Holy hell I got to see how you got that to look so much like rock. Man your talanted.

limmer

Did you make it your self?
It looks great.

uarujoey

I didnt make this myself guys..... bought it..

now i feel horrible for cheating....  :(

magnosis

I does look very realistic ! I love it !

Darth

just finished watcing your pvc overflow video very nice I like how it stays primed everyone always overflows will flood, but you seemed to find a way around that, just a question though and perhaps I should have asked on youtube, the check valve the hole you drill for the hose, is the hose tight fitting do you need some sort of o ring for it to keep it air tight?? and how big is the hose? does it just insert like 1/4 inch ??

uarujoey

Quote from: Darth on June 24, 2011, 07:54:03 PM
just finished watcing your pvc overflow video very nice I like how it stays primed everyone always overflows will flood, but you seemed to find a way around that, just a question though and perhaps I should have asked on youtube, the check valve the hole you drill for the hose, is the hose tight fitting do you need some sort of o ring for it to keep it air tight?? and how big is the hose? does it just insert like 1/4 inch ??

The check valve and hose are standard size. 1/4"...

The hole is 1/5" i believe. Slightly smaller then the diameter of the hose. It fits in snug, and doesnt need anything else to hold it in place. Since the hose is silicone based, it acts as its own "O" ring.

Thanks for watching.

crane007

I love the look of this background. The only problem is they only come in 23" heights and I have a 30" high tank. Any idea of what could be done for a 30" high tank ?

morrom

Substrate should eat up about 3" or so that would leave you with 4" to cover up. Use rocks that match the color and some drift wood to fill the the rest of the space. I think that would help bring the background into the tank giving it a more natural look IMO.

crane007

Quote from: morrom on July 28, 2011, 10:54:59 AM
Substrate should eat up about 3" or so that would leave you with 4" to cover up. Use rocks that match the color and some drift wood to fill the the rest of the space. I think that would help bring the background into the tank giving it a more natural look IMO.

I was thinking the same thing at first, then I watch the instruction video (uarujoey) and he had to silicone the background to the bottom of the tank.

morrom

Well there are options here, again IMO.
You could put flat rocks in the back corners of the tank and one in the center and silicone the back ground to the rocks, then put small dabs of silicone on the back of the background to secure it to the back of the tank. 
Now I have never done any of this before, But I don't see why it wouldn't work unless there is some reason it has to be secured to the bottom of the tank. Or the silicone wont come off the glass when you tear down the tank, leaving unsightly marks. But I am sure some patience and a razor blade could remove the silicone in question.
Just trying to brain storm ideas, might lead to something :D