New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Gauging interest in regular get togethers

Started by charlie, September 17, 2011, 01:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchofsky

I'm pretty new here, too, but went to the discus meeting at Evelyn's and everyone is very friendly, and Evelyn's discus are a sight to behold! 

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on December 10, 2011, 08:12:39 AM
I was a bit shy to reply to this.. i'm very very new... but I guess I should just jump in, right?  ;)
I'm putting it on the calendar! 

No need to be shy, it`s a great reason to get together, after all it`s what the hobby is all about, we all had a starting point & trust me asking & meeting fellow hobbyist with a common interest is the best way to learn.Hope to see you there.
Regards

2075turner

Quote from: Peekay on December 10, 2011, 08:12:39 AM
I was a bit shy to reply to this.. i'm very very new... but I guess I should just jump in, right?  ;)
I'm putting it on the calendar! 

Contrary to popular belief....we don't bite.  ;D

come, share, have fun ;)

Fishnut

I'm in.  

This will be a great warm-up for our monthly OVAS meeting too.  January is plant month!!

charlie

Quote from: Fishnut on December 11, 2011, 05:04:21 PM
I'm in too.  This will be a great warm-up for our monthly OVAS meeting too.  January is plant month!!
Nice double the wammy, i`ll be flying high in Jan. ;D

Peekay

Quote from: 2075turner on December 11, 2011, 03:59:20 PM
Contrary to popular belief....we don't bite.  ;D

come, share, have fun ;)

I met Errol today, and left without teeth marks, so I guess it's safe.  :)

Thanks for hosting Evelyn.. close to home too!  I'll be there. 

sylros

Count me in too! Is there anyone that has food allergies?  and it would help if we could get a final tally at the end just to make sure there's enough food!

One of my interests is how to make green carpets in a tank that doesn't float away!  :(

Looking forward to it...and at some future point, please consider my place as a choice for hosting as well. We're both into aquariums, his is a salted tank and we're in Westboro...actually not too far from the OVAS meeting location. LoL

Hope everyone has great Holidays!
Sylvie

Fishnut

The regular meeting location isn't too far away from Westboro. It's maybe a 10 minute drive!

As far as alergies are concerned, I'm pretty sure I have the most to worry about. In order to keep things simple, I suggest that if you're bringing something store bought, bring the package. If you're making something, write down the ingredients and be concious of what other things have been prepared at the same time. For example, if you make a PB&J sandwich while baking cookies, it may be risky to some :)

It should be a nice meeting :)

charlie

This is looking very promising, anyone wishing to do a show & tell of their tank /tanks please free to bring you files & do share with us.

2075turner

It is indeed.  I have some other people that are interested in coming over as well.  They are new to the aquaria world and interested in planted tanks.

pm

It looks like the meet will be a good opportunity to swap some plants with others.  Based on the previous meets is this encouraged? 

Assuming its all good, I can at the very least bring some Ludwigia repens 'rubin' (cuttings), HM (cuttings), Hygrophila pinnatifida, Blyxa japonica, Vallisneria Americana, and more if there is an interest.

Peekay

Quote from: pm on January 03, 2012, 10:43:49 AM
It looks like the meet will be a good opportunity to swap some plants with others.  Based on the previous meets is this encouraged? 

Assuming its all good, I can at the very least bring some Ludwigia repens 'rubin' (cuttings), HM (cuttings), Hygrophila pinnatifida, Blyxa japonica, Vallisneria Americana, and more if there is an interest.

I'd be interested.. nothing to swap, but would bring cash if anyone will be bringing things I'm looking for.  Your ludwigia and vals are on my list!  Maybe ppl can post what they may have to sell/share/swap, and possibly prices?

charlie

[/quote]
Quote from: pm on January 03, 2012, 10:43:49 AM

Quote from: Peekay on January 03, 2012, 11:14:14 AM
I'd be interested.. nothing to swap, but would bring cash if anyone will be bringing things I'm looking for.  Your ludwigia and vals are on my list!  Maybe ppl can post what they may have to sell/share/swap, and possibly prices?

I like , i like  ;) great i will try & time my hair cut around the 15 th, at the very least i should have some  Riccia, & Moss( Peacock & Java??) perhaps some Glosso & few other stems.
I might very well be looking for some HM / Pearl weed.
Regards

bizfromqc

I just started cycling my first planted tank (and first tank in a long time, when i was a kid). I am a total and complete beginner but I'd still like to maybe attend some of the meets and get some valuable info from you guys.

I have to say I like the idea of a mini ABC of the planted aquaria as suggested earlier.

Are these meetings usually during the day or evening?

pm

Quote from: bizfromqc on January 04, 2012, 08:27:13 AM
Are these meetings usually during the day or evening?

I believe this is the third meet of this nature, and it has typically been early afternoon on a Sat or Sun.

Quote from: charlie on January 03, 2012, 04:47:17 PM
I like , i like  great i will try & time my hair cut around the 15 th, at the very least i should have some  Riccia, & Moss( Peacock & Java??) perhaps some Glosso & few other stems.
I might very well be looking for some HM / Pearl weed.
Regards

Good point raised!  If your tank is due for a pruning, hold off to next weekend if possible.  Better to offer plants up to another green sider than the green bin.   ;) 

charlie

So guys & girls are we all ready for next Sunday?
come  along bring your interest , zest to share & learn & make it a fun time
bring your pic /video files & share your tank with us
Bring your questions etc & of course some plants/clipping if you have.
See you all next Sunday.
Cheers
P.S maybe post what you are looking for
What you are bringing
What snacks you like
What snacks you can bring etc  :)

pm

I have recently changed my tank layout and have found uses for some of my 'excess' plants, but can still bring healthy cuttings of Ludwigia repens 'rubin' and HM/Pearl weed, and some Vals no problem.

PM me if interested in Anubius nana petite, Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown', or Hygrophila pinnatifida, as I can probably bring these as well if there is demand.

Errol, if you have some, I would be interested in either Didiplis diandra or Ludwiga Arcuata (not sure I need both), and Downoi (Pogostemon helferi).

As for snacks... I am pretty easy going.  I will try to coerce the wife into baking some of her super awesome skor bit cookies.  :)

charlie

Quote from: pm on January 09, 2012, 09:24:21 AM

Errol, if you have some, I would be interested in either Didiplis diandra or Ludwiga Arcuata (not sure I need both), and Downoi (Pogostemon helferi).

As for snacks... I am pretty easy going.  I will try to coerce the wife into baking some of her super awesome skor bit cookies.  :)

Hi Peter Diandar - no longer keep it
Arcuata - will try to get some small clippings for you
Downoi - might be ably to squeeze a plant or 2.
I will be bringing some Peacock moss, Riccia,Ludwigia Brevipes ( last of it as i will no longer keep it) & what ever else stretch it`s legs by this weekend.
Anyone else apart from RebeccaB want to do a bit of show & tell of their set up?

touchofsky

If Peter brings cookies, I will think of something savory, instead of sweet  :)

pm

Quote from: charlie on January 09, 2012, 12:47:01 PM
Arcuata - will try to get some small clippings for you
Downoi - might be ably to squeeze a plant or 2.

Errol, don't worry about the Arcuata... I realize now that I have absolutely no room for it   ::) 
For Downoi on the other hand, I would make room  ;D