New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS Field Trip! October 22nd

Started by Nerine, September 20, 2011, 11:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

I am happy to announce our FIRST Field trip of the season (and hopefully many more to follow!)

Where: The Canadian Museum of Nature  http://nature.ca/en/home
240 McLeod Street, Ottawa, Ontario
At the corner of McLeod and Metcalfe.

On foot: About 20 minutes (1.4 km) directly south of Parliament Hill.

GPS coordinates: 45° 24.780'N, 75° 41.330'W.

When: October 22nd

Time: 9am - 5pm (Feel free to leave earlier! I know my son & I can stay the entire day there!) We will have a lunch room reserved if you wish to bring your own lunch and the cafeteria will be open to purchase a lunch

Cost: Free museum admission to all card carrying members!

Rates for Non-OVAS Members:
$6 Adult & Senior
$4 Student
$4 Child (Age 4-12)
Free 3 years of age and younger

Transportation & parking are NOT provided
Rates
$2.50 per half hour
maximum of $12 per day
after 4:30 pm, pay a flat rate of $5.

Payment methods
using the pay station in the museum foyer: Cash, VISA, MasterCard
using the pay station at the parking-lot exit gate: VISA, MasterCard.

**If you need transportation, we can start another thread for carpooling!**

RSVP MANDATORY!!! No later than October 1st - I need to phone the Museum to reserve a room for lunch and let them know how many people will be arriving.

If you are interested please RSVP to Alysa (Nerine)
You can also RSVP at the September meeting on the 26th! (JA Dulude Arena, Mel Baker Hall as per usual)
email: alysa _avalos @hotmail. com or phone: 613.524.2495

Highlights of the museum:
RBC Blue Water Gallery - LIVE animals! Explore the diversity of life on the blue planet. Aquariums and other aquatic delights await! Including: a skeleton of a blue whale, the LARGEST animal in the world!!!

Guess what! For you Dinosaur lovers - They are having a special exhibit Extreme Mammals on until November 6th!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Nerine

Don't forget !! Those who RSVP'ed I shall see you at the Museum of Nature on October 22 and 9am!!! Don't forget to bring your lunch or money for lunch if you wish!
We have a room reserved for everyone to eat and chat!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

RedFish

Will there be any problems if we arrive after 9am?    We will try hard to be on time, but I have two teenage girls to drag out of bed (but they want to go), and dogs to walk before we leave the house.

Nerine

I don't see it being a problem!! I am going to guess that 99% of the people will not show up at 9am on the dot hehe but I will be there at 9am!! I won't pay for everyone until we all assemble so maybe 9:15/9:30ish ? I just have to pay for everyone in one go!!

RedFish

Ok - thanks, that is good to know.    I will get everyone going early!

charlie

Thanks to all who organised the filed trip, was very refreshing activity with the club, it`s a pity more members & execs did not participate, maybe next time.
Kudos

RedFish

Thank you so much for organising this trip.   We all had a great time, and all appreciated the visit.   Our family had not been to the museum since the renovation and there were many new exhibits.

Hubby is recuperating from his close call with the dinos.

Nerine

I didn't get home till late, so posting now :) THANKS EVERYONE! The children seemed to have a GREAT time :)

There was a decent turnout :) And I'm very glad we started at 9am!!! By the time we left (we stayed till just after 1pm) and it was getting packed!

Lunch company was great  too! though we made it down a little later as the tots didn't want to leave the birds :D

Thanks everyone and I hope everyone else had a great time too!

Nerine

Fishnut

Yup...The kids really did have a great time.  They stuck together nicely too! :)

Nerine

washefuzzy

Thanks for setting up the trip to the museum Nerine. I had a great time and so did my Mom.

fischkopp

Some aquatic (and living) exhibitions of the museum.

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

washefuzzy

charlie

RedFish

Great pics all!

I love the wonder in the eyes of the future pres & vp!  (third pic from bottom)

Nerine

That is an awesome pic of them :D they REALLY had a lot of fun there!! Virgil was asking me today if we were going to fish club on monday! he REALLY wants to go to a meeting!! maybe when he's older ;)

charlie

Thought i`d give this old thread a bump. A great time was had by all, could probably be revisited?