New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Starfire 79 gallon tank build

Started by charlie, November 09, 2011, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Well after quite a few years of taking on the challenge of growing different & difficult plants in various tanks, that joy has petered out.
This has led to the desire to do one main planted tank with my all time favorite plants so i can continue to enjoy this fabulous niche of the aquatic hobby -"Planted aquariums"
This thread will be dedicated & updated to the build as i go along .
Big thanks go out to Nerine & Fishnut who kindly made the trek with me to Toronto to get the tank & also indulge in some great aquarium store hopping
Also thanks to Jetstream & Fischkopp who have been giving me tips on the mock up hardscape while i was waiting for the tank, hopefully this weekend will see the final presentation when the 2 fine gentlemen put their minds together to aid me in the final hardscape.
I can`t say enough about Aquainspiration(Toronto) for their customer service & fantastic store, i was impressed from the very first time a group of us visited them at their old location & fresh endeavour  into the store front business, they have since improved in all areas with the new store, Kudos to you guys, just wished you were located here  ;).
Stay tuned if your interested i will update time permitting with photos.

sas

Awesome! Can't wait to see this unfold.
You've set the bar so far in planted tanks, so I'm sure this will be
interesting to say the least.
Thanks for sharing :).

Nerine

It's an AMAZING tank and I have tank envy!!! WOW :D I really can't wait to see it fully set up!!!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

pm

Nice!!!  That has got to be one of the biggest if not the biggest Starfire tanks AI has.  Please keep us posted with pics of the progress.  You give us newer planted tank guys something to aspire to.

charlie

Quote from: pm on November 09, 2011, 12:50:09 PM
Nice!!!  That has got to be one of the biggest if not the biggest Starfire tanks AI has.  Please keep us posted with pics of the progress.  You give us newer planted tank guys something to aspire to.
Actually AI has a 72 x24x24 for around 1500.00 real nice tank

charlie

Here goes some quick snaps  first set is some mock ups of the hardsacpe yet to be refined hopefully this weekend, probably add some more wood
The stand had to be slightly modified to accommodate the deeper tank - 1/2 inch pink Styrofoam was layered on the new top since the new tank is flat bottomed, also went the DIY light hanger system for a total cost of 35.00, still needs some more work when the new fixture is in place

charlie

After researching substrates for quite sometime & having used eco complete & flourite with good success  i wanted to try the soil based substrates,read all the hype & good qualities of the ADA magic  ;), but due to it`s almost non existence in our neck of the woods i decided to try the new kid on the block Fluval Planted Startum in my 20 gallon long, after several months it has proven to be good enough for me, despite all the con`s i read on line to this day it is still doing well & buffering like the first month of use. this persuaded me to go with it, also the pro of being readily available locally, i`ll be using 5 X 9 KG. bags
in the picture it shows 1 bag of black flourite, that has sinced being switched out by a 5th bag of Fluval Plant Stratum.

charlie

Here is the Glass box that will house everything, it was picked up from Aquainspiration on Kennedy road Toronto.
This tank is a knock off of the ADA cubes & caught my eye a while ago on a visit ti AI @ their old location, the want one dream started then ;)
pics will show it on stand wrapped , levelled & filled for leak test & level under load.
You will also see my DIY tech light ;)  which will soon be replaced by a 4 bulb Tek light

daworldisblack

Pretty excited to see ow it will turn out Errol! I see now why you cancelled on us this weekend! BIG plans ;) Waiting to see the rest of the progress in the coming weeks!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Cheebs

Awesome so far! I too am excited to see how this will progress!

charlie

I`m now at a crossroad regarding the background, initially my plans was to apply Vinyl as the back ground, mainly for 2 reasons (1) it makes a beautiful dark not knowing illusion where the back ends (2) from previous experience with rimless tanks & aquascaping water tend to seep over the edge leaving  water stains between the paper B/ground & the glass, applied vinyl eliminates this issue.
But in using a black board with a 1 inch space between the back glass & the board as a mock up background has literally turn a light bulb on ........ that flash is to use the 1 inch space to insert a background light, but that raises the issue of seeping water & stains, i`m thinking of placing a narrow strip of glass/plexiglass with a thin strip of silicone to seal the seepage gap, i`m aware silicone & plexi don`t bond well, but the question is will it bond enough to act as a light water seal?
Added some pics to help illustrate my idea & question on the sealing of Plexi & glass with silicone, the first pic shows the space between the back glass & the back board, back light & the styrofoam @ the top mimics the galss/plexi strip to act as a seepage barrier.
The back light used is only for illustration & would not be used if i go forward with is idea,consrtuctive criticism welcomed

Consigliere

Nice looking tank CHarlie.  Starphire is a very nice glass.  Where are you getting your substrate and how much?  Looks like it could be a good middle of the road option (price wise) for a planted tank.

Cheebs

I like it! I'm no pro with silicone, but basically as long as it's good enough to fill in the gap, I'd think you are safe... Nothing will be knocking it around back there, so I say go for it! Cool idea :)

charlie

Thanks guy`s.

The Fluval plant stratum are 8 KG bags & i got them form Big Al`s  East for approx 45.00 per bag, it has to be special ordered but the turn around is less that a week, in my case a few days.

Toss

I like the board option. You have the option to change the background with no fuss.
Nice tank Errol!
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

jetstream

We'll see the tank's pictures at 2012 AGA aquascaping contest? Before, if you enter AGA contest, AGA will automatically put your entry into the ADA contest!  ;)

p.s. results of AGA 2011 contest will be published next week or end of Nov!

Cheers,

charlie

Quote from: jetstream on November 10, 2011, 06:11:23 PM
We'll see the tank's pictures at 2012 AGA aquascaping contest? Before, if you enter AGA contest, AGA will automatically put your entry into the ADA contest!  ;)

p.s. results of AGA 2011 contest will be published next week or end of Nov!

Cheers,
Highly doubt this build will see any contest, i`m not a fan of contest rules & restrictions on how many species etc, this is more for my pleasure & long term evolution  ;)

pm

You mention the DIY light hanging system.  I can't tell what you used.  I assume conduit tubes, but are they PVC or something else (they look like they have been painted).

I like the simplicity of them, and for some time have thought of doing something similar.  The nicest ones I have seen were made of copper, but the copper rippled where they were bent, detracting a bit from the presentation.

charlie

Hi Peter , the DIY lighting rack is made from 1/2 inch EMT conduit, it better if you can have it bent from one length of conduit, but i did mine with individual pieces - 2x 90deg bends, 4 couplers, 2 lengths of conduit all from home depot, it is painted the same colour of the wall to try & blend it in, here is a thread i read before i did it.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/diy-aquarium-projects/38593-hanging-my-tek-over-my-75-a.html
Regards

charlie

I should add a few tid bits of where i`m going with this tank & equipment that will be used etc, at least this is the plan i started with , who knows what will be the final result  ;), here goes
This build will be more of a fusion of the Nature & Dutch style aquascaping, this unfortunately does not lend itself well for competitions, at least from the people that judge  :)

The equipment list should be as follows
Tank - 48x20x20 starfire ADA style tank
Substrate - 5 or more Fluval Plant Stratum 8 KG bags
Hardscape- Redmoor wood (after research this wood is not the same as the popular Manznita)
Lighting - 4 bulb 48 inch T5 HO Tek light
Filtration - 2X Eheim 2026 Pro II
Intake & Return - glass lily pipe
Nutrients -
(a) Pressurised CO 2 injected via a Sumo twin needle valve Regulator @ 2 points in the tank, one via a DIY in line reactor driven by a Eheim compact 200 + pump & the other a passive in line UP atomizer.
(b) Macros & Micros will be salts from the Hydroponics via the Estimative Index

Heating - 300 watt Hydor ETH In-Line Heater
Controller -Reefkeeper lite 3
UV sterilization - Coralife twist 9 watt
Livestock - BN plecos,Amano shrimp,Cherry shrimp,possibly some Crystal shrimp, Kuhli loach, Otto cat,Sterbai corie, SAE,Assain snail, Cardinal Tetras.
Plants- whatever i like & colourful  :)

Well that is the plan at least for now  :D

charlie

Quote from: charlie on November 11, 2011, 07:31:40 AM
I should add a few tid bits of where i`m going with this tank & equipment that will be used etc, at least this is the plan i started with , who knows what will be the final result  ;), here goes
This build will be more of a fusion of the Nature & Dutch style aquascaping, this unfortunately does not lend itself well for competitions, at least from the people that judge  :)

Hardscape- Redmoor wood (after research this wood is not the same as the popular Manznita)
Nutrients -
(a) Pressurised CO 2 injected via a Sumo twin needle valve Regulator @ 2 points in the tank, one via a DIY in line reactor driven by a Eheim compact 200 + pump & the other a passive in line UP atomizer.

Livestock - BN plecos,Amano shrimp,Cherry shrimp,possibly some Crystal shrimp, Kuhli loach, Otto cat,Sterbai corie, SAE,Assain snail, Cardinal Tetras.

jetstream

Not try to hijack the thread, just want to share a related topic about some aquascaping!

http://www.miyabi-aqua.com/album?album=all&gallery=2

Enjoy!

charlie

Quote from: jetstream on November 11, 2011, 08:07:04 AM
Not try to hijack the thread, just want to share a related topic about some aquascaping!

http://www.miyabi-aqua.com/album?album=all&gallery=2

Enjoy!

Good stuff i remember looking at those, here is my inspiration, i guess since my penchant for colour in planted aquariums i`m partial to this, hence it has become my inspiration.

Complimnets of Tom Barr

charlie

Quote from: charlie on November 11, 2011, 07:31:40 AM

Nutrients -
(a) Pressurised CO 2 injected via a Sumo twin needle valve Regulator @ 2 points in the tank, one via a DIY in line reactor driven by a Eheim compact  2000  pump & the other a passive in line UP atomizer.

jetstream

I have the plant towards the left side in front of the driftwood. This plant even more challenge than Tonina. They are 2 mm tall at this moment. Will chip 1 or 2 into your project if they grow well. They are from Japan and not from South America without nuclear contamination!  ;)

Brine

That Redmoor wood looks interesting. Is there a local supplier? Can you share any links or research?

magnosis

This will be an exciting build to follow  8)

Q:  what are you using the RKL controller for ?  Temperature only, or CO2 regulation as well (with respect to PH) ?  The later would surprise me a little but maybe you've changed your mind regarding this approach ;) If that's the case I would be curious to hear the arguments for...

charlie

Quote from: jetstream on November 11, 2011, 11:53:26 AM
I have the plant towards the left side in front of the driftwood. This plant even more challenge than Tonina. They are 2 mm tall at this moment. Will chip 1 or 2 into your project if they grow well. They are from Japan and not from South America without nuclear contamination!  ;)
Hmmm, love that plan, i`ll take it.
Thanks

charlie

Quote from: Brine on November 11, 2011, 12:06:58 PM
That Redmoor wood looks interesting. Is there a local supplier? Can you share any links or research?
Hi Brine, it is the same wood sold @ Big Al`s as terrarium wood .
Edit to add link
http://www.google.ca/search?q=redmoor+root&hl=en&biw=1152&bih=602&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6Ja9TpO5O8i20QHk_ei8BA&ved=0CB0QsAQ

charlie

Quote from: magnosis on November 11, 2011, 03:14:44 PM
This will be an exciting build to follow  8)

Q:  what are you using the RKL controller for ?  Temperature only, or CO2 regulation as well (with respect to PH) ?  The later would surprise me a little but maybe you've changed your mind regarding this approach ;) If that's the case I would be curious to hear the arguments for...
(a) the controller is used both on the heat & co2 , lights filters etc.
(b) No i have not changed my mind, my sentiments was never against controllers as such , but it is not necessary, since plants do not need co2 at night but rather give off co2, that said i first acquired the controller to combat an ongoing issue i had with pH buffering, it is now & will be used with a timer between the controller & the co2 regulator solenoid, the timer will only allow the solenoid to kick on between a set time as determined by me despite the controller sending the signal for the solenoid to turn on.
I don`t think this controller has that ability on it`s own, but other well known & more capable ones do have it as a night mode, will have to do more research on the Reefkeeper Lite.
Regards

charlie

Thanks to some of my buddies Robert, Winnie & Ken, we  or Robert & Winnie  ;) got the  background applied, it is flat black vinyl, great job guys, yes i forgo on the backlighting wave & went this route.
We also summed up the hardscape & chatted til the wee hrs :)
Thanks guys , it was fun

Fishnut

NICE!!  Re you going to soak the wood before installing it?  What about wrapping moss around it?

charlie

Quote from: Fishnut on November 12, 2011, 12:56:58 PM
NICE!!  Re you going to soak the wood before installing it?  What about wrapping moss around it?
most of the wood is aged from previous use the red ones are the same type but new & will eventually age like the others, the are mounted on slate , so no need for soaking.
No plans for moss as of now.

will update later tonight after the substarte is added & a few more pcs of wood to tweak it a bit

robt18

Looking great Errol! I believe this officially breaks your record for longest tank build... over 2 days! Worth the time and effort for sure though.

Are you still considering the light tunnel idea?

charlie

Quote from: robt18 on November 12, 2011, 06:40:57 PM
Looking great Errol! I believe this officially breaks your record for longest tank build... over 2 days! Worth the time and effort for sure though.

Are you still considering the light tunnel idea?
Yes Rob you are on the money, this is a record  :)
I`m still debating it, will see when the plants start to set sail over to this tank

charlie

earlier today the substrate was added along with the final ( i think) tweak of the hardscape.
I just literally finished filling the tank & added some flow via the Eheim compact 2000 pump & a Small Aqua clear filter with carbon, now i sit & watch bubbles flow around, after a quick wipe of the bubbles on the front & side panels , i took a quick shot - notice how clear the water is despite it just been filled & the fluval substrate was not washed but dumped straight from the bags.

fischkopp

That is looking no too bad. Take your time, don't rush it!  ;)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Cheebs

It's looking killer so far. Boy does that starfire glass look nice!

Shawn84

Cant wait to see the final product. Looking amazing so far.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

charlie

Quote from: Chubs on November 13, 2011, 01:26:30 AM
It's looking killer so far. Boy does that starfire glass look nice!
Quote from: Shawn84 on November 13, 2011, 08:39:10 AM
Cant wait to see the final product. Looking amazing so far.
Quote from: fischkopp on November 12, 2011, 08:10:40 PM
That is looking no too bad. Take your time, don't rush it!  ;)
Thanks guys
@ chubs, i like it so much i`m already planting the seed for another tank  :)
@ Shawn - me too  :D
@ fischkopp,  what do you mean take it slow?  ;) i had this tank since Tuesday evening on the stand & it`s not planted & stocked & planted yet  :P, that`s real slow by my standards :)
;D

charlie

Well the planting party went off well, tank now planted (take1  ;)), now for the hardware & gadgets install .

Cheebs

Ah yes! Papyrus Citizenus, my favorite plant!

Really though, i'm excited to see the tank all filled up!

salvini55

that is a killer aquascape! Did you get the RKL sorted out? There is a night mode, I do not use it so no experience yet but I dont see why the solinoid couldnt be toggled in night mode. Night mode is in the "General" menu. If it is not switched on it will not come up as a function for a control

charlie

Quote from: salvini55 on November 15, 2011, 12:18:33 PM
that is a killer aquascape! Did you get the RKL sorted out? There is a night mode, I do not use it so no experience yet but I dont see why the solinoid couldnt be toggled in night mode. Night mode is in the "General" menu. If it is not switched on it will not come up as a function for a control
Quote from: Chubs on November 15, 2011, 11:20:30 AM
Ah yes! Papyrus Citizenus, my favorite plant!

Really though, i'm excited to see the tank all filled up!

Thanks , no i have not done any research on it as yet, too pre occupied  ;), if you figure it out let me the first to know  :)

Phil, it`s filled , soon to be revealed in it`s infancy stage, i can`t wait for the plants to grow & fill in , then to trim into shape.

charlie

All hardware installed & working, Tek 4x54 Elite light is next to PU.The tank is a bit hazy but i took a quick snap shot of it, hopefully when the plants fill in & trimed you will get a better view of it, already  some CRS shrimps hitch hiked over in some Anubias that was holding in the shrimp tank.
In the pics you will see on the right side the inline UP atomize on filter 1 that will provide CO2 misting, under the tank is a maze of hoses & wires, included in this is 2 X Eheim Pro II filters, DIY CO 2 reactor driven by a Eheim compact 2000 pump, this also provides circulation with the return in the back middle of the tank, the Reefkeeper Lite 3 & Coralife Turbo Twist steralizer that is in line on fliter 2 is also housed in the cabinet, the 300 watt Hydor in line is also in the cabinet & hooked up in line to filter 1.,the 20 lb & dual CO2 Sumo custom built rig also finds a space in there.
Thanks for all your comments so far , I will try to keep this thread updated as the tank evolves, it will be a strange feeling having one planted tank :)

Stussi613

I can honestly say that's the nicest planted tank ive ever seen.

Amazing job Erroll!!

Feel like coming over and re-doing my tank for me?? ;D
I haz reef tanks.

Jeff1192

Wow!

Really....what more needs to be said!

Nice job as usual.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Peekay

Wow Charlie!  Beautiful.

I can't believe that's a 'just planted last night' level of planting.  :P
Obviously you had quite a robust stock in your old tanks!

Looking forward to seeing this grow.

magnosis

Absolutely amazing  8)

You know you're dealing with a guru when the tank looks phenomenal barely a few days after setup :D

Cheebs

Holy crap!!! That's even better than I expected!

Consigliere

Looking good Charlie.  A nice start thats for sure.  I've got a photo of a few pieces of wood I have if you're still interested send me a PM.  How long is your lighting cycle?  Are you running all 4 lights all the time?

Mind listing the plants you put in? 

Have to say with water in the tank the starfire glass is unbelievable compared to "regular".  Keep up the good work!

charlie

Thanks for all you kind comments, the truth is i owe a lot to the people in our club, several of whom took the time & effort to help me along the way from the early days to this day ( you guys know who you are, big thank you).
My advice to anyone interested in planted aquarium from low light /low tech to high light/high tech., is to take the time & meet with fellow planted tank hobbyist one on one even @ social gatherings, the web is full of information , much of it is dated & mis- interpeted, i see it everyday on forums, typically you will see folks read info & pass it on as gospel not knowing if it is current, factual or applicable to the specific tank or plant, as one of my mentors would say" do then talk, no do no talk"Tom Barr.
In Ottawa the water is very conducive to planted aquarium, a big plus for us, they are several hobbyist locally who is only willing to help guide you if you take the time to tap into their experience,I did.
As for the tank looking good , that is mainly due to the fact that all the plants except the glosso had being well established in my mini plethora of planted tanks, some has been with me for years, so in essence they were plug and play.
I should add that the bells & whistles are not a must have to do planted tanks, having a basic understanding of the requirements of different plants in relation to light intensity & nutrients is the key to long term enjoyment & success.
Regards

charlie

Quote from: Consigliere on November 16, 2011, 11:15:36 AM
Looking good Charlie.  A nice start thats for sure.  I've got a photo of a few pieces of wood I have if you're still interested send me a PM.  How long is your lighting cycle?  Are you running all 4 lights all the time?

Mind listing the plants you put in?  

Have to say with water in the tank the starfire glass is unbelievable compared to "regular".  Keep up the good work!
Thanks Dave, all good for wood for this build.

The list of plants was my next project but you beat me to it :), here it goes, i`ll try & list them from left to right- front row to back row
Front row  L-R
Didiplis diandra ,Glossostigma elatinoides ,Riccia fluitans ,Blyxa japonica .
2nd row
Lysimachia nummularia aka creeping jenny,Anubia ,Java Fern,Pogostemon helferi, Alternanthera reineckii ( this is the plant that got me interested) This plant was mistakenly ID it is Ludwigia Glandulosa,Eriocaulon Setaceum.
back row
Rotala sp. "green",Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba'' ,Ludwiga brevipes,Hemianthus micranthemoides ,Tonina sp. fluviatilis ,Rotala Vietnam,Rotala pusilla,Ludwiga Arcuata.
I think that`s it, of course over time this can change at any give time ;), several  of these plants are not common in our local market but was acquired from out of town trips & trade & or free from fellow planted tank hobbyist, this is another reason to get involved one on one.

Lighting cycle that works for me is 8 hrs 1.00 PM - 9.00PM, not all the lights are on full intensity, in my previous set ups it will be more common to have 3 x 54 watt T5 HO for the full 8 hrs & the 4 th on for 2 hrs sometime in mid stream on another tank the 59 gallon, it was 2x54 T5 Ho for the full 8 hrs & the 3 rd one on for 3 hrs.
Regards
Up Date Plant list - all plants that is strike through has being removed & up date on Plant ID.

charlie

The tek light 4 x 54 watt T5 ho Elite was picked up & installed, thanks to" Ray`s marine livestock & Aquatic supplies" who also supplied the Reefkeeper lite 3 pkg, you have always being accommodating & honest.
Sometime in the future , i will consider adding a top up system, since it`s an open top display evaporation will be an issue.
Pics added

charlie

Live stock added today, they all seem happy in their new home, i will be adding another 30 or so Cardinals down the road.
11 Kulhi loaches
9 Sterbai Cories
2 SAE for now 
1 BN pleco- 1 more later
4 otto cats
17 Cardinals
& a lot of Cherry shrimp
Regards

Shawn84

Can't wait to see all the plant take off. I love the wood decor. Maybe next time i'm in Tdot i will stop by A.I and pick me up some. :) Now i am posted in the right place. Planning on getting any more oto?
A bunch a fishes.....

Hookup

Rybren

Errol,

The tank looks fantastic.  Almost makes me want to go back to FW - Almost.  ;D

Great job!

Jerry
120G Reef

daworldisblack

The more i follow the thread the more I find myself wanting a similar set up! Its looking pretty darn good! Certainly a trail-blazer and an inspiring piece Errol, I'm sure we're in awe everytime a new pic gets posted! Definitely something to aspire towards!

charlie

Thanks guys.
I will be updating this build regularly,so FTS will be forthcoming.

Shawn84

Errol ever think of doing like a nano style aquascape planted tank? I know its a bit off topic :s
A bunch a fishes.....

Consigliere

Looking good Errol.  Nice choices on the fish stocking.

Ever get your didipalis getting a nice red colour on the ends?  When I used to grow it on my 70G it would get nice red/orange but yours is very green.  It's nice, just curious if you've ever been able to trigger the other colours in it.

charlie

Quote from: Consigliere on November 21, 2011, 10:07:01 PM
Looking good Errol.  Nice choices on the fish stocking.

Ever get your didipalis getting a nice red colour on the ends?  When I used to grow it on my 70G it would get nice red/orange but yours is very green.  It's nice, just curious if you've ever been able to trigger the other colours in it.
Thanks Dave, yes i got the Diandra red, it`s not that hard , it`s present location is not the ideal placement for the deep red  but i will see how it does here.
Regards

charlie

One week update:

I have removed the pearl weed/Hemianthus micranthemoides  & moved the Didiplis diandra, also added come Tonina Belem where the Diandra was, already trimmed the creeping jenny, some growth & colouration is noticeable from the other plants
I added a pair of L144 long fins & 5 more Sterbai cories that i picked up at the OCA , also added 2 more SAE & 40 Cardinals from La Niche Tuesday .
Quick snap shot of the tank with one bank ( 2 54 watt tubes) of the 2 banks of light on

JetJumper

haha, thats amazing for only being up for a week.  Good work!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

charlie

Quote from: JetJumper on November 24, 2011, 02:22:57 PM
haha, thats amazing for only being up for a week.  Good work!
Thanks, it`s mainly because the plants with the exceptation of the Glosso came from my established tanks & did not need a whole lot to perk up.
Regards

JetJumper

Quote from: charlie on November 24, 2011, 04:57:02 PM
Thanks, it`s mainly because the plants with the exceptation of the Glosso came from my established tanks & did not need a whole lot to perk up.
Regards

shhh don't tell everyone your secret to a fast setup :P  Either way though, very nice!

salvini55

Now thats a planted tank that I would love to have in my house. Well done Errol, hey those drop checkers look familiar... Is one of them one I sold you for an increadible price of $2!!!!!!!!! What a deal LOL. I hope that it is so I can say I had a hand in your setup  :P Again very nice, you have the nack thats for sure.

charlie

Quote from: JetJumper on November 24, 2011, 06:37:21 PM
shhh don't tell everyone your secret to a fast setup :P  Either way though, very nice!
Darn, did i do that ;) obviously i don`t keep secrets well  ;D

charlie

Quote from: salvini55 on November 24, 2011, 07:21:17 PM
Now thats a planted tank that I would love to have in my house. Well done Errol, hey those drop checkers look familiar... Is one of them one I sold you for an increadible price of $2!!!!!!!!! What a deal LOL. I hope that it is so I can say I had a hand in your setup  :P Again very nice, you have the nack thats for sure.
Thanks bud, it could very well be the bargin one, that`s 2 of 6 i have acquired over time  ;)

charlie

Some sneak shots of the American citizens that was added to the tank on Monday night.

charlie

charlie

Consigliere

Brine

Hey Errol. one of your pictures shows newspaper in the tank. Is that there to prevent the substrate from getting disturbed while you add water? If so, doesn't it get shredded when it gets wet? If it works I wished I'd heard that trick before. It would have saved me lots of time due to replanting and re-arranging. I get my tank all planted and arranged nicely then add water and have to re do all the work.
Any other tips like that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

charlie

Quote from: Brine on November 30, 2011, 02:15:34 AM
Hey Errol. one of your pictures shows newspaper in the tank. Is that there to prevent the substrate from getting disturbed while you add water? If so, doesn't it get shredded when it gets wet? If it works I wished I'd heard that trick before. It would have saved me lots of time due to replanting and re-arranging. I get my tank all planted and arranged nicely then add water and have to re do all the work.
Any other tips like that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Hi Brine, yes that is what the newspaper is for, when layered with enough sheets it does not shred & it works great.
Regards

Brine

Quote from: charlie on November 30, 2011, 05:21:06 AM
Hi Brine, yes that is what the newspaper is for, when layered with enough sheets it does not shred & it works great.
Regards
Thanks

charlie

Just a quick update on the tank - this week ( week2) i`m happy to report all is well & growth is in progress, i had to clip both the Ludwigia`s, creeping jenny,rotala Vietnam ,Tonina sp. fluviatilis, Riccia & ,Glossostigma elatinoides .
The parameters seem to have stabilised @ the following
PH in the morning without any CO2 overnight & airstone on during the night is @ 6.8, Kh is @3 DKH , GH @ 5 DKH
Time to start supplementing some nutrients , since according to the test kits - (something i had to relearn to use since it`s been a while since i last used one)-they indicate the uptake is faster that the substrate can provide , in that the Nitrates is @ 0 & Phosphates is undetectable, so here come the hydroponic salts.
Regards
will try to update a pic later.

charlie

Quote from: charlie on December 02, 2011, 11:10:16 AM
will try to update a pic later.
Some GSA - Green spot algae is starting to creep in, will make some minor tweaks & wait it out. - all stem plants & Glosso had some trimming, glosso topped & replanted.
Regards

ajm1961

SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on December 04, 2011, 06:47:17 PM
What is "GDA"?
Hi Andre firstly my bad had a lapse, i meant to tye GSA =Green spot algae instead i typed GDA= Green Dust algae, in summary it`s green spot that is creeping in, this is not surprising since i just detected yesterday low to non exsisting phosphate levels, so the tweak is to up the phospahtes a tad & wait a bit.Below is a link to GDA ( green dust algae)
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/algaepedia/full_view_algae.php?item_id=78&algae=Green%20Dust%20Algae
& GSA -Green spot algae
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm
Regards

jshchrtn

Man that tank is so wild, most amazing tank I've ever seen in person!
Couldnt believe how many cherry shrimp were hiding in the plants!
Keep up the good work!
Josh

charlie

Thanks Josh, was a pleasure meeting you.
well as mentioned i did some tweaks due to a mild on set of GSA, that included cutting back the 4 bulb lighting to 3 bulb & upping the phosphate a tad, so far seems to have worked.
I have experienced amazing growth rate across the board/tank, so much so a major trimming & escaping is underway- some plants will be removed for another project & to lighten up the plants density, those removed are as follows- Glosso,Didiplis diandra,Ludwiga Arcuata- removed some & re positioned are - Staurgyne,Blyxa Japonica & added some sagittaria lilaeopsis, others trimmed again, i love this substrate so far, my experience so far has being nothing but good, BTW the con i had about it being light & not holding freshly planted plants was not a problem this time, i added enough water to damp the substrate(no flooding or puddles ) & left it for 12 hrs before planting, worked like a charm.
I started this tank with some newly acquired Glosso from La Niche ( 2 pots) here is a picture of what i just harvested from the tank in 3 weeks(planted on Nov.15 th) -This will be going into a new project so it can spread it`s wings as the space i had it in was too small.
Pics of the new scape will be forthcoming

pm

Ha! So the consolidate to one tank idea didn't last too long  ;) (or was it just the big tanks  ???)

Anyhow, that's a lot of glosso growth for the amount of time... but I guess under the right conditions is grows like a weed.  Mine tripled in size in three weeks (went from one leaf to three... wow I have a green thumb...)

charlie

Quote from: pm on December 09, 2011, 11:08:17 AM
Ha! So the consolidate to one tank idea didn't last too long  ;) (or was it just the big tanks  ???)

Anyhow, that's a lot of glosso growth for the amount of time... but I guess under the right conditions is grows like a weed.  Mine tripled in size in three weeks (went from one leaf to three... wow I have a green thumb...)
;D, consolidate it is use to be a 75 gallon & a 59 gallon planted, now only a 79 gallon
Next  the docket will read- use to be a 20 gallon long & a 15 gallon shrimp tank - now only a 25 gallon :D
Stay tuned , there will be some rare to Ottawa plants posted in the classifieds & some not so rare, also there is already lights & 59 gallon tank & stand posted
soon to come will be a 20 gallon long,keep monitoring the classifieds for details.

charlie

4 weeks in with some tweaks as mentioned earlier- mainly 3 bulbs as opposed to 4, some plants move , some taken out etc.
QuoteI have experienced amazing growth rate across the board/tank, so much so a major trimming & rescaping is underway- some plants will be removed for another project & to lighten up the plants density, those removed are as follows- Glosso,Didiplis diandra,Ludwiga Arcuata,Staurgyne,creeping Jenny & Riccia- removed to the 25 gallon with the exception of the Staurgyne  & re positioned are - Blyxa Japonica,Rotala Vietnam,Java Fern & added some sagittaria lilaeopsis, others trimmed

touchofsky

It looks beautiful.  I love the contrast in shapes and colours.  BTW, what is the tall plant in the back right-hand corner?

charlie

Quote from: touchofsky on December 17, 2011, 10:39:27 AM
It looks beautiful.  I love the contrast in shapes and colours.  BTW, what is the tall plant in the back right-hand corner?
Thanks for the kind words.
the plant in question is -Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba''
http://www.tropica.com/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=037C

touchofsky

It is very nice, with an interesting leaf.  I haven't seen that plant before  :)

Consigliere

Really nice layout.  Like the red sections at 1/3 and 2/3.  Looks great and great growth.  Will have a downoi carpet within a couple weeks at the rate you are going.

charlie

Rybren

Errol,

You are a very talented aquarist.  I love that tank.

I've said it before, that's ALMOST enough to make me want a planted tank.
120G Reef

charlie

Quote from: Rybren on January 10, 2012, 09:19:20 PM
Errol,

You are a very talented aquarist.  I love that tank.

I've said it before, that's ALMOST enough to make me want a planted tank.
Thanks Jerry, your comments are always welcome, i must be doing something right when the tank can tempt a reefer to think about planted tanks  :)
Thanks Errol

charlie

Update: the tank is going along quite good, still a tiny bit of GSA- Green spot algae, but getting there, here a few pics in the FTS the glass is not dirty ;D the plants are pearling causing the streaks in the pic , the close up of 2 of the plants will show the pearling, will post some more close up`s later.
The L144 has bred & they are a few juvies kicking around in the tank , will see how they do in the real world.
Constructive criticism & comments welcome
Regards

Stussi613

It's hard to believe that it's only been 2 months and 11 days since you posted the first FTS of this tank.  Looks like its been running for allot longer.

I want to thank you Erroll, I firmly believe the recent rash of people posting new planted tank builds and the awesome turnout at the meeting this week are directly attributable to your amazing build, your extensive knowledge and your willingness to help anyone in the hobby that asks you for advice. 

You're truly an inspiration to all of us...
I haz reef tanks.

pm

Geez Errol, you are killing me!

Love the overall shape it has taken on.  How did you get the cherry shrimp to wagon-train coming down the wood branch?

fischkopp

Quote from: Stussi613 on January 26, 2012, 01:48:39 PM
I want to thank you Erroll, I firmly believe the recent rash of people posting new planted tank builds and the awesome turnout at the meeting this week are directly attributable to your amazing build, your extensive knowledge and your willingness to help anyone in the hobby that asks you for advice. 

x2

That's coming along real nice. Almost makes me wanna switch the substrate.

I especially love those cardinal tetra stickers that you put all over the front glass. Where did you find those?

;D
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

bizfromqc

Quote from: Fishnut on January 26, 2012, 02:48:38 PM
I need CO2... :D

Don't we all  ;)

Although I have to say, with my 20G now, and according to Seachem's dosing chart (they say 5ml for 50G daily here: http://bit.ly/zENgmg), a 14$ bottle of Flourish Excel would last me about 8 months (500ml / 2ml). At that price, there's no way I need a pressurized system.

NOW, weather pressurized CO2 is better than bioavailable organic carbon (or I'm missing something here), it's a total mystery to me. Maybe it's the way to go with small tanks but the scale tips off to pressurized CO2 when one has a bigger tank  ???

I'm sure Errol will have something to say here about all this :)

Sorry about hijacking Errol's build thread,

fischkopp

Quote from: bizfromqc on January 26, 2012, 03:18:52 PM
NOW, weather pressurized CO2 is better than bioavailable organic carbon (or I'm missing something here), it's a total mystery to me. Maybe it's the way to go with small tanks but the scale tips off to pressurized CO2 when one has a bigger tank  ???

CO2 is the way to go for any size tank. It's carbon in the way plants like it best, and it doesn't have the side-effect of melting them.
my fish suck

exv152

Quote from: charlie on January 26, 2012, 01:32:20 PM
Update: the tank is going along quite good, still a tiny bit of GSA- Green spot algae, but getting there, here a few pics in the FTS the glass is not dirty ;D the plants are pearling causing the streaks in the pic , the close up of 2 of the plants will show the pearling, will post some more close up`s later.
The L144 has bred & they are a few juvies kicking around in the tank , will see how they do in the real world.
Constructive criticism & comments welcome
Regards

Very very nice tank! I have a question for you. You have filter outputs on both sides of the tank and you've added some powerheads as well. Is this to reduce the GSA, or for another reason?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: Stussi613 on January 26, 2012, 01:48:39 PM
It's hard to believe that it's only been 2 months and 11 days since you posted the first FTS of this tank.  Looks like its been running for allot longer.

Thanks for those kind remarks Stuart, the truth is i learn just as much from helping as i hope others do from me helping, to me that`s what a hobby is about.
I also look at it as paying forward, i was fortunate that when i found OVAS the guys around were very helpful & is/was into the hobby purely as a hobbyist no one wanted fame or fortune the club was great to me back then, it`s something i try to emulate.
Thanks again

charlie

Quote from: pm on January 26, 2012, 02:02:06 PM
Geez Errol, you are killing me!

Love the overall shape it has taken on.  How did you get the cherry shrimp to wagon-train coming down the wood branch?

Thanks Peter, the Cherry shrimp are well trained  :)it`s being a long journey but they have finally got it  ;D.
From what i see you are doing just as good with your tank you have my bad habit of re arranging things often ;D.
Regards Errol

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on January 26, 2012, 02:08:57 PM
x2

That's coming along real nice. Almost makes me wanna switch the substrate.

I especially love those cardinal tetra stickers that you put all over the front glass. Where did you find those?

;D

Thanks Robert, you guys play a big role in this addiction of mine, it`s a good thing i`m not a drinker or smoker  ;D.
Those Cardinal stickers came from Aquainspiration with the tank - check out their store gallery picture  ;D
http://www.aquainspiration.com/galleryd.asp?gname=AI Store&iname=AQUA INSPIRATION STORE VIEW&gtype=N
Errol

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on January 26, 2012, 04:50:11 PM
Very very nice tank! I have a question for you. You have filter outputs on both sides of the tank and you've added some powerheads as well. Is this to reduce the GSA, or for another reason?
Hey Eric ( exv0 - the 2 glass Lilly pipes are from 2 eheim filters & the one in the middle of the tank on the back pane is the return from the CO2 inline diffuser which is driven by an Eheim pump, all to try & get good flow, since the tank is densely planted.
Thanks for you kind comments & questions.
Errol
Biz ( Eric)  :D
Robert has provided the answer that i agree with.Pressurized CO2 is the way to go, apart from the up front cost, there nothing that comes near to it`s pros.
Regards

charlie

some more pics from the tank

salvini55

just beautiful Errol.

Its really taking off, great work

Darth

Quote from: salvini55 on January 27, 2012, 03:08:53 AM
just beautiful Errol.

You really have to see his tanks in person, the pics don't do them any kind of justice, I had the pleasure of meeting errol a few days ago, and have seen his pics and what not but man seeing them in person is awe inspiring, his tanks are truly a work of art

Peekay

Gorgeous as always! 

Errol, can you mark plant names on one of your pictures?  Circle and number clumps and then provide a listing of what's in there?  It would be super useful for newbs like me to start recognizing (and coveting) some of the interesting plants out there.

charlie

Quote from: Darth on January 27, 2012, 06:54:45 AM
You really have to see his tanks in person, the pics don't do them any kind of justice, I had the pleasure of meeting errol a few days ago, and have seen his pics and what not but man seeing them in person is awe inspiring, his tanks are truly a work of art
Quote from: salvini55 on January 27, 2012, 03:08:53 AM
just beautiful Errol.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Regards

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on January 27, 2012, 08:23:08 AM
Gorgeous as always! 

Errol, can you mark plant names on one of your pictures?  Circle and number clumps and then provide a listing of what's in there?  It would be super useful for newbs like me to start recognizing (and coveting) some of the interesting plants out there.

Thanks Benda, that`s a good idea, i will do so later.
Errol

pm

Errol, would you mind posting your fertilizing routine?  I know you use a modified EI approach, so I assume you are using the following as a starting point:

60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

Thanks

charlie

Quote from: pm on January 27, 2012, 11:11:00 AM
Errol, would you mind posting your fertilizing routine?  I know you use a modified EI approach, so I assume you are using the following as a starting point:

60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

Thanks
Sure , note that my tweaking is based on my tanks reaction to dosing so each tank is different, if you look @ the suggested doing routine as laid out by the EI system they give you a +/- before every suggestion , sometimes we miss that part & think the suggestion is set in stone.
Also i`m still tweaking as i go along but here is where i`m at with this tank at present, all Macro dosed dry & unit measurements are teaspoon, i will use the full name of each salt for the benefit of everone & not to sound like a chemist ;D
Nitrates- 5/16  daily( 7 days & alternating between Potassium Nitrates & Calcium Nitrates) as pointed out By Fischkopp our water is bit  short of calcium
Potassium Phosphates -1/8 daily
Magnesium - via Epsom Salts - 1/16 daily
Seachem Equilibrium( GH Booster) 1 Tablespoon @ water change
Traces - 5 ML daily of CSM mix with water  @ 3 teaspoon per 250 ml of distilled water
Water change - 70-80% weekly
I Will likely switch to Tropica plant Nutrition sometime in the future if anyone wants to split on a 5L bottles ( approx. 120.00)
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/plant-nutrition-formerly-mastergrow-liter-p-6101.html?osCsid=9iukkg4gscfh7vncti280api61
Regards

exv152

Quote from: charlie on January 27, 2012, 11:40:07 AM...I Will likely switch to Tropica plant Nutrition sometime in the future if anyone wants to split on a 5L bottles ( approx. 120.00)
http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/plant-nutrition-formerly-mastergrow-liter-p-6101.html?osCsid=9iukkg4gscfh7vncti280api61
Regards

Hey Errol, Which planted tank expert have you found the most inspiration in, Takashi Amano, Tom Barr, Oliver Knott, George Farmer, Walstad, or anyone else??? Very curious.
;)

BTW, I also found aquariumsupplies.ca a really good deal for one of the best liquid fertilizers on the market, I'd be interested a bit down the road as I'm well stocked up for now with the seachem flourish supplement.

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on January 27, 2012, 11:44:14 AM
Hey Errol, Which planted tank expert have you found the most inspiration in, Takashi Amano, Tom Barr, Oliver Knott, George Farmer, Walstad, or anyone else??? Very curious.
;)

BTW, I also found aquariumsupplies.ca a really good deal for one of the best liquid fertilizers on the market, I'd be interested a bit down the road as I'm well stocked up for now with the seachem flourish supplement.

Hi Eric, if i had to pick them in order , i would have to say Tom Barr, George Farmer, Oliver Knott, Takashi Amaon, Walstad.
The reason for me is the style & presence of Tom Barr suits me, he put`s his theory out there with scientific data & dares anyone to challenge it, so far i have not seen anyone do so successfully.
They are all very good, but the latter 2 has less of an impact on me since their styles are less complementing to what i practice, although i think Amano has influenced all in his aquascaping skill.
I have used Tropica Plant Nutrition in the past until the price went insane here in North America( 200.00+ for a 5L) now its back to a somewhat reasonable price,although  not close to Seachem.
Regards

exv152

Quote from: charlie on January 27, 2012, 01:07:11 PM
...i would have to say Tom Barr...The reason for me is the style & presence of Tom Barr suits me, he put`s his theory out there with scientific data & dares anyone to challenge it, so far i have not seen anyone do so successfully...

It's hard to argue with the knowledge of an academic horticulturalist, and not to mention a guy who put EI out there that has saved many. I should have guessed Tom Barr judging by your style, plant layouts, lights etc. Where did you get the Tonina sp. fluviatilis from?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on January 27, 2012, 02:20:50 PM
It's hard to argue with the knowledge of an academic horticulturalist, and not to mention a guy who put EI out there that has saved many. I should have guessed Tom Barr judging by your style, plant layouts, lights etc. Where did you get the Tonina sp. fluviatilis from?
From another member here.
Regards

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on January 27, 2012, 08:23:08 AM
Gorgeous as always! 

As requested
(1) Rotala sp green
(2) Java Fern
(3) Ludwiga Arcuata
(4) Tonina sp. fluviatilis
(5) Ludwigia Glandulosa
(6) Eriocaulon Setaceum. --" see Classifieds"
(7) Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba'' - colour shoud be more intense , but location does not allow the most intense lighting to do so, this is intentional for contrast, as it gets closer to the surface it will go darker.
(8) Blyxa Japonica
(9) Anubias nana
(10) well what can i say  :)i can`t count & type ;D - i missed the # 10
(11) sagittaria lilaeopsis 9 likely the next plant to exit the tank
(12)Tonina Belem - " see classifieds"(13) Pogostemon helferi -" see Classifieds"

sas

Great job, thanks for taking the time to do this, much
appreciated by a newb like me.

touchofsky

Tank looks great, Errol.  Your tweaking is really bringing it along beautifully!

What is your lighting routine now?

charlie

Quote from: touchofsky on January 29, 2012, 09:34:30 AM
Tank looks great, Errol.  Your tweaking is really bringing it along beautifully!

What is your lighting routine now?
I have gone back to 4 bulbs to try & bring out the colour of the plants, in doing so i had to up my dosing co2 included, 2 bulbs on @ 1.00 PM the second  2 bulbs on @ 2.00 PM, off time is the reverse
2 & 8.00 PM & the next 2 @ 9.00PM
OH yea i have tweaked the scape AGAIN  ;D since post that picture  ;D ;D, hence the availability of the Tonina etc.
Thanks for your kind remarks, always appreciated
Regards Errol

touchofsky

I am thinking of adding more light to my tank, as well.  Right now, I am just running two 54w t5ho's.

DaWolfe

Très NICE, très NICE.  That is one sick setup....  Even better in person, I want to fill my living room with tanks like yours....not sure my wife would agree but worth the dream...

Thanks for the plants.

charlie

Quote from: DaWolfe on January 30, 2012, 07:34:22 PM
Très NICE, très NICE.  That is one sick setup....  Even better in person, I want to fill my living room with tanks like yours....not sure my wife would agree but worth the dream...

Thanks for the plants.
Thanks Dan, was a pleasure . In time the wife will come around  ;) or so we all hope  :).

daworldisblack

Argh.. if only i had half your skill! Awesome setup!

Peekay

Quote from: charlie on January 30, 2012, 09:32:50 PM
Thanks Dan, was a pleasure . In time the wife will come around  ;) or so we all hope  :).

I dunno, I saw the relief in your wife's eyes as I rolled that tank out of your place...  if they don't come around, you can at least hope they come quietly.  ;)

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on January 31, 2012, 09:46:17 AM
I dunno, I saw the relief in your wife's eyes as I rolled that tank out of your place...  if they don't come around, you can at least hope they come quietly.  ;)
;D ;D you only saw relief in her eyes , i saw the celebration dance after  ;D

charlie

bizfromqc

Yet again, fantastic.

Errol, do you have two drop checkers in there? (left and right side of the tank)

I'm referring to the bulb shape thing on the left and the white looking watchamacallit on the right.

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 01, 2012, 09:23:11 AM
Yet again, fantastic.

Errol, do you have two drop checkers in there? (left and right side of the tank)

I'm referring to the bulb shape thing on the left and the white looking watchamacallit on the right.
Thanks Eric, yes in reply to you question about you sword , i briefly touched on how difficult it is to master co2 saturation,so yes i not 2 but 3 drop checkers in that tank,it`s an attempt to get a better indication of how well the saturation levels are throughout the tank.
When a tank is thisdenselyy planted & otherhard scapee flow can be severelyy inhibited as such CO2 distributionn & for that matter all nutrients is dependent on flow for transport.
This picture was takeliterallyly 10 mins before posting it, so the plants & animals are fully awake yet, i turned the lights on 20 mins before i quickly shot the image, reason for doing so is during the afternoon reflections are terrible & from 2.30PM ( lights start to come on @ 1.00)onwards the plants are pearling which detracts from the image.
Errol

pm

Errol, I just realized you and I are using the same tank for inspiration: Tom Barr's "120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style with lots of color instead" tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/149265-120-gallon-ada-like-ditched-dutch.html, which might explain why we are going in similar directions, albeit you with a lot more experience, tank size, equipment, brains, heart, and courage (nice wizard of oz reference) than I.

For example I have started line up my Ludwigia Glandulosa as a colour barrier between green plants in a similar fashion to you, as well as using wood to the same effect.  I find that my Ludwigia Glandulosa does not grow too fast (unlike my ludwigia repens 'rubin' or Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba'), and provides a nice "split" between plant types.

fischkopp

Very nice scape and great development. Great photography skills as well!
I really like how it gets evenly lower from the left to the right.

Only thing I am not sure of is the alternanthera reineckii (did I get that right?).

Do you actually see a difference in between the drop checkers?

quite some insane posting going on here ... :)
my fish suck

charlie

Quote from: pm on February 01, 2012, 09:54:18 AM
Errol, I just realized you and I are using the same tank for inspiration: Tom Barr's "120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style with lots of color instead" tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/149265-120-gallon-ada-like-ditched-dutch.html, which might explain why we are going in similar directions, albeit you with a lot more experience, tank size, equipment, brains, heart, and courage (nice wizard of oz reference) than I.

For example I have started line up my Ludwigia Glandulosa as a colour barrier between green plants in a similar fashion to you, as well as using wood to the same effect.  I find that my Ludwigia Glandulosa does not grow too fast (unlike my ludwigia repens 'rubin' or Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba'), and provides a nice "split" between plant types.

Yep i posted that earlier in the thread, most who know me well, know i`m a sucker for colourful plants.
Errol

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on February 01, 2012, 09:55:46 AM
Very nice scape and great development. Great photography skills as well!
I really like how it gets evenly lower from the left to the right.

Only thing I am not sure of is the alternanthera reineckii (did I get that right?). Do you actually see a difference in between the drop checkers?quite some insane posting going on here ... :)
Thanks Robert
It`s actually Ludwigia Glandulosa, finally got it`s identity solved, do your remember when i picked it up @ Nature Pet.

Yes i do , before  i started tweaking flow etc there was was dead spots & the CO2 saturation was slower in coming up to par in those areas, i have managed to get it better, but as the density of the plants change so does the uptake & flow obstruction, so as you know trimming is crucial.
On the insane posting  ;D - the new wave is on, some who jumped ship are trying to get back  on board while others stayed the course & is firmly buckled in, get your tickets now folks  ;D
Errol

exv152

Nice tank Errol, trimming is definitely a must for dutch style tanks where stem plants will obstruct water flow, good job! You must be pretty good at using those scissors.

Have you ever tried growing Rotala Wallichii ?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on February 01, 2012, 10:30:32 AM
Nice tank Errol, trimming is definitely a must for dutch style tanks where stem plants will obstruct water flow, good job! You must be pretty good at using those scissors.

Have you ever tried growing Rotala Wallichii ?
Thanks Eric, getting better with cutting tools  ;)
Yea I have grown it before it`s a weed when it takes off.
Errol

pm

Hey Errol, a while back I saw a Koralia (nano ??) in your tank, but not in the most recent pic.  How did it work for flow?  Was it a shrimp death trap?  I am thinking of getting one (the 240gph), but not 100% sold on it yet, as I might be able to get the flow I need with my filter alone.  What is/was your take on the Koralia in a planted tank?

Thanks

daworldisblack

Quote from: pm on February 04, 2012, 05:40:07 PM
Hey Errol, a while back I saw a Koralia (nano ??) in your tank, but not in the most recent pic.  How did it work for flow?  Was it a shrimp death trap?  I am thinking of getting one (the 240gph), but not 100% sold on it yet, as I might be able to get the flow I need with my filter alone.  What is/was your take on the Koralia in a planted tank?

Thanks

I was wondering the same. I decided to use a powerhead (it was lying around) instead and just covered the intake strainer with shower-loofah mesh. Definitely not as visually appealing as the Koralias!

Peekay

7 year old aquarist Keith gives this tank two thumbs up.   :P

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on February 04, 2012, 05:54:30 PM
I was wondering the same. I decided to use a powerhead (it was lying around) instead and just covered the intake strainer with shower-loofah mesh. Definitely not as visually appealing as the Koralias!
Quote from: pm on February 04, 2012, 05:40:07 PM

Thanks
Yes i did remove them, it was more for aesthetics & nothing to do with performance.
The Koralia's do a good job on dispersed flow as opposed to the maxi jet type pumps.
In my planted tanks i try to shoot for 10 - 12 x turnover, this i have achieveded with the 2 Eheims proII- 2026 & 2028, Eheim compact 2000( driving my co2 in line reactor) & 2 mini jets that are out of sight.
Errol

charlie

Quote from: Peekay on February 04, 2012, 08:05:26 PM
7 year old aquarist Keith gives this tank two thumbs up.   :P
Wow that is very flattering  ;), thanks Kieth
I had the pleasure of meeting 7 year old Kieth today & i can say he is no ordinary young aquarist, in conversation with him i have detected that he has done his research which is more than some of us do, Santa did the right thing by granting him his wish.
Regards

bulldozer911

Amazing tank! I just saw this in person today and as nice as the pictures are, it's hard to capture what a beauty it really is. It's one of those tanks you want to sit back and stare at for hours like you would with a beautiful exotic car, or something like that =)

nice job!!

charlie

Thanks Chris, it was a pleasure seeing you again,i`m happy you enjoyd the tank.
I hope you can make it out to our gathering of plant minded folks, you will fit right in  ;)
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=52835.0
Errol

charlie

Cheebs

Breathtaking!! That's all I've got to say!

touchofsky

A beautiful sight.  It must be a pleasure to watch. 

bizfromqc

Indeed, one of the nicest tanks I've had the pleasure to see.
As good as it looks on the picture, seeing the real thing is 20 X better  :)

bettabreeder

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 15, 2012, 12:59:30 PM
Indeed, one of the nicest tanks I've had the pleasure to see.
As good as it looks on the picture, seeing the real thing is 20 X better  :)

+1 I have so much work to do with my tanks to get them to this level :P

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

daworldisblack

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 15, 2012, 02:18:49 PM
Build of the year on OVAS IMO.

Hear hear! Errol has a wet green thumb?   ::) haha

exv152

Nice colours and very clean looking tank, excellent job Errol!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Consigliere

Looking absolutely stunning Errol.  The reddish tone to the blyxa is outstanding.

I've got to get an update posted for my 250G but I noticed you're cardinals are out in full view for lots of your photos.  I currently have ~110 cardinals in my 250G and if you ever looked at it you would probably guess I had 15.  They never come out, just chill in amongst the ferns.  Any tips for getting these guys out in the open in a school?  Low flow? Dense planting?

My ferns are not very dense yet so maybe when they fill in that will drive them out to the open but right now I have to have my face pressed against the glass to be able to see them.

charlie

Thanks to everyone for the positive feed back, it` always nice to hear what other hobbyist have to say, that said i learn from your input.
Thanks

charlie

Quote from: Consigliere on February 15, 2012, 11:56:25 PM
Looking absolutely stunning Errol.  The reddish tone to the blyxa is outstanding.

I've got to get an update posted for my 250G but I noticed you're cardinals are out in full view for lots of your photos.  I currently have ~110 cardinals in my 250G and if you ever looked at it you would probably guess I had 15.  They never come out, just chill in amongst the ferns.  Any tips for getting these guys out in the open in a school?  Low flow? Dense planting?
My ferns are not very dense yet so maybe when they fill in that will drive them out to the open but right now I have to have my face pressed against the glass to be able to see them.
Hi Dave, i have no tricks to get them out, however i had that issue of them hiding in my old 75 gallon @ one time, coincidentally around the same time i was dosing Excel pretty heavy, after the excel dosing stopped they seemed fine, not sure if that is your case.
The bronze tone of the blyxa is due to the light intensity, on the extreme front left where the light is not as intense it`s green.
Errol

charlie

I wanted to share my weekly water change routine with you guys, so often we read of how sensitive Cardinals & shrimp including CRS are & the extremes folks go to when doing water changes these pictures will show how i do mine & is yet to have any negative effects from this routine, be it spring, summer , fall or winter, the tank houses some 80+ cardinals 30 of which just joined the family on Sunday night, red crystal shrimp. red cherry shrimp, bushynose including fry, cories, sae, otto cat , amano shrimp, kulhi loach , & assain snails.
The first few pics is of the water level i dropped the tank to today, they are times i would go even lower, the one with the PH pen shows the temp & PH of the water as it is refilling straight from the tap, keep in mind the PH before the water change was 6.4, check out what it is on refilling, i`m not encouraging anyone to mimic my routine, but it`s just to show we worry about the animals excessively at times, they are very adaptable.
Errol

sas

Thanks for documenting.
Do you do anything with your "waste" water?

charlie

Quote from: sas on March 09, 2012, 07:58:32 PM
Thanks for documenting.
Do you do anything with your "waste" water?
Unfortunatley most of it is not used, i do keep a few gallons for watering house plants.
Errol

exv152

Quote from: charlie on March 09, 2012, 08:57:21 PMUnfortunatley most of it is not used, i do keep a few gallons for watering house plants.Errol

Exactly what I do with my wc water, and we have some very healthy house plants.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

pm

Quote from: charlie on March 09, 2012, 08:57:21 PM
Unfortunatley most of it is not used, i do keep a few gallons for watering house plants.
Errol

Me too.  In the warmer months, I am going to try pumping the water out the window into a rain barrel just outside... I don't think something like this would work to well for you though Errol  ;)

charlie

Quote from: pm on March 10, 2012, 07:13:46 AM
Me too.  In the warmer months, I am going to try pumping the water out the window into a rain barrel just outside... I don't think something like this would work to well for you though Errol  ;)
;D

touchofsky

In the summer, I carry buckets of water change water outdoors to put on my garden.  I would like to try and get some of the water that I take out of the 66 gallon tank onto my gardens.  This tank is on the 2nd floor, so I would have to siphon it out the window  :)

exv152

Not sure I would water my vegetable or herb garden with tank water though, especially considering all the micro and macro nutrients some of us feed our plants. I don't see it being too healthy for human consumption.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

I don't actually have any vegetable gardens, I only have flowering perennials, so that a problem on that front  :)  I have a row of daylilies, and they do much better when I water them with buckets of aquarium water.

charlie

Hi folks here is the latest update on the tank, i`m a few trims away from what i might be happy with for this tank  ;) @ least for now, there is one patch of freshly planted Glosso to be filled in & some more trimming to thicken some sections.
Please excuse the pearling bubbles in the picture.
Errol

JetJumper

how many tanks are you up to again now? :P

Looking good! 

charlie

Quote from: JetJumper on April 28, 2012, 09:07:45 PM
how many tanks are you up to again now? :P

Looking good! 

One for each day of the week  ;D :P

exv152

Very nice, what happened to the HC?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 28, 2012, 09:48:18 PM
Very nice, what happened to the HC?
Let`s just say i heeded some of the advice given & it was swapped from this build for a new build  ;)
The HC is now in the 10 gallon.
Errol

pm

Quote from: charlie on April 28, 2012, 08:55:16 PM
... i`m a few trims away from what i might be happy with for this tank  ;)

Then what?  :-\  ... what will you do with your spare time?  :P

bizfromqc

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on May 01, 2012, 12:04:13 PM
Time to take up golfing  ;)
No No not me  ;D
I have enough tanks to keep me from being bored, how can you be bored with some thing that is so much fun!
Errol

bettabreeder

Absolutely stunning as always Errol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie

Quote from: bettabreeder on May 01, 2012, 03:32:40 PM
Absolutely stunning as always Errol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your kind comments.
Errol

charlie

Since my last picture in May i had grown peacock moss on the driftwood, after sharing this with a member on another forum, an observation was made about the moss hiding the beauty of the hardscacpe, this caused me to revisit the moss covered wood, I concluded that the observation was a good one therefore all the moss was stripped off.
Regards

daworldisblack

AWESOME! I like it more with each iteration. Good one Errol :)

Brine

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

fischkopp

Not too bad. Very organized layout. :P

I might have asked that before, but what's that low red plant on the right side?
my fish suck

exv152

Very nice Errol! I can't believe your glasswear has no algae. I can't seem to keep the algae off mine.

I noticed you're using the DC stainless steal diffuser. Is this in conjunction with an atomic inline diffuser?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Thanks guys, keep it coming with your critique
@ fischkopp - it`s a red ludwigia  :P, seriously all i know it`s a ludwigia, just today i was @ Ken & he has the same plant but we are not sure which ludwigia specie.
@ exv152 -it`s clean because when you guy`s knocked at my door last Saturday i had just finished cleaning them  ;D
The DC diffuser is in conjunction with an in line DIY reactor.
Thanks all

jetstream

Quote from: fischkopp on November 09, 2012, 12:49:05 PM

I might have asked that before, but what's that low red plant on the right side?

I checked my plant bible site. The plant on the right is Ludwigia Palustris, some site called it "Super red" form.   ;)

76brian

fischkopp

Quote from: charlie on November 09, 2012, 09:37:01 PM
@ fischkopp - it`s a red ludwigia  :P, seriously all i know it`s a ludwigia, just today i was @ Ken & he has the same plant but we are not sure which ludwigia specie.

Funny that is. I saw it in Jetstream's tank I said: I must have it, later ... now I see it in your's and now I really want it! It's probably one of the most intense plants I have seen.

Quote from: jetstream on November 10, 2012, 10:49:44 PM
I checked my plant bible site. The plant on the right is Ludwigia Palustris, some site called it "Super red" form.   ;)

Noted my friend. I better keep working on my new project ... :)
my fish suck

masoud100

How do all you members make an aquarium look amazing. When I look at OVAS member aquariums I am stunned but I can never make mine the same. Nobody wants to make mine either

charlie

Well it`s been a year since I last updated this journal, I recently rescaped the tank( the norm with me  :P)
It is still a work in progress with some more growth & trimming after, but I wanted to share with you.
I will note my first iteration of this scape attracted a different perspective from a member on another site, I took that observation & made a change.
Thanks Biulu, would love to hear yours.
Errol

Stussi613

Folks, how great does it feel to have a real life planted tanks master as part of our club?  ;D ;D
I haz reef tanks.

exv152

Great new scape Errol! Especially like the attention to detail.
:)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on December 05, 2013, 11:22:36 PM
Great new scape Errol! Especially like the attention to detail.
:)

Not a single plant out of place eh? haha. Nice one Errol! Can't wait to see this scape mature!

sas

fischkopp

This may be your best layout so far. Glad to see that you start to mix plants up and use them in different areas. That really makes all the difference I find. Thanks for sharing and keep it coming.

Really itching now to get my planted tanks back up again ...  :)
my fish suck

charlie

Thanks for your kind words guys, coming from you guys means a lot.
@ Stuart, wow such praise is making my head hurt  ;)
@ fischkopp, I`m happy if this inspires you to get that dusty brand new tank set up, I have been waiting for years to see your magic on this project :D
To my other fellow Planted tank hobbyist , I encourage to get more involved in the club, it`s the way to go for several benefits, meet others & see their tanks -ask questions, it is the one single factor that has kept me committed to the hobby
Errol

ajm1961

A work of art indeed!
Thanks for sharing your expertise and continue to inspire us Errol!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Dxpert

Absolutely amazing! Really great mixture of colour and textures.

bettabreeder

looks incredible Errol!! Makes me want to set up a new tank 

charlie

Quote from: bettabreeder on December 07, 2013, 05:06:48 PM
looks incredible Errol!! Makes me want to set up a new tank 
Quote from: Dxpert on December 07, 2013, 06:51:16 AM
Absolutely amazing! Really great mixture of colour and textures.
Quote from: ajm1961 on December 06, 2013, 08:42:04 PM
A work of art indeed!
Thanks for sharing your expertise and continue to inspire us Errol!
Thanks guys, it is my hope that other like minded hobbyist would share their tanks & we all learn from each other - they are some great tanks within our community that are not shared here.
Errol

BSmith

Thanks for updating again so that this thread resurfaced and I was able to go through the entire thing.  I love ever iteration of this tank.  Maybe one day I will have success with plants... but I have some young Discus that are taking up most of my time.

charlie

Thanks for taking the time to extend your in put , it`s much appreciated.
Regards

dbl_dbl

charlie

Quote from: dbl_dbl on March 04, 2014, 11:03:08 PM
Looks fantastic Errol!
Thanks you, plants have grown in quite a bit.
I will update a picture soon to reflect that.
Errol
P.S. again I appeal to all who keep planted tanks to share a picture or 2 with us, there is quite a few that have planted tanks that others will be happy to see & learn - it`s not a competition guys, it`s about sharing & promoting your passion in the hobby

charlie

Got Fish?

daworldisblack

Very Nice Errol! I like how it transitions from green to orange and red in the back!

lucius

exv152

Very nice Errol. What's that open-ended lily pipe on the left, is it the intake?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

thanks all, picture is not of quality it should be but just wanted to share.
The open end pipe is a result of the lily part broke & I cut it .
Errol

charlie

Sometime in Nov/Dec. I got a pot of Pogo (about 5 or 6 plants)that was almost dead with yellowing leaves, I bought it since I was looking for it locally after farming it before.
here is what those half dead pogo look like now in fluval substrate that has done it`s thing since 2011.I`m over the moon

Regards
I have already pulled a few for someone

daworldisblack

charlie

Jeff1192

Nice. That was one of my favourite plants when I kept my big planted tank
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

exv152

Is that pogo you bought in scarborough? If you ever have some shoots you don't need...
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 01, 2014, 08:41:38 PM
Is that pogo you bought in scarborough? If you ever have some shoots you don't need...
Yep same one.
Remind me when you come by.

fischkopp

That's quite a bit of pogo weed growing in your tank there! Have you ever considered other weeds?  :o

;D
my fish suck

charlie

Quote from: fischkopp on May 02, 2014, 09:41:48 PM
That's quite a bit of pogo weed growing in your tank there! Have you ever considered other weeds?  :o

;D
Have to admit yes ;) ........

but they grow too fast for me & cannot keep up with the weekly pruning, hence why I like pogo  :)

charlie

daworldisblack

speechless and drooling! I can only dream - Really nicely done!

exv152

The picture looks amazing but even it does not do the real thing justice. ;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Mike L

That looks absolutely amazing. I showed the pictures to my wife and she said "Why can't you do something like that". I smiled and shook my head. Well done.
Mike

charlie

Thanks guys.
Mike, come out this Sat. contact wolfiewill for details, I`m sure there is a bunch of helping hands that will guide you  ;) thus making your hobby & wife very happy  :P.
Errol
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=58040.msg326354#new

charlie

I was sitting on the floor looking at my tank, certainly saw it with new appreciation.

pm

Very nice Errol.  Thinning it out along with the white background makes it look like a different tank.

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

@ pm & exv 152Thanks for your kind remarks, coming from you guys means a lot, since you both have incredible tanks.
Errol

Update
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=58698.0

charlie

It was great and enjoyable, all good things come to an end  :'(

wolfiewill

It breaks my heart to see that. Are you selling the tank? Or putting it in storage?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: wolfiewill on May 13, 2017, 06:07:03 PM
It breaks my heart to see that. Are you selling the tank? Or putting it in storage?
I`m  hurting every time i look at it now.
The plan at this time is to rebuild it with a different scape in time, but that can change and may sell it if plans change.
Regards

exv152

You mean sell it and upgrade to a 100g or 170g rimless? Now you're talkin'! ;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on May 13, 2017, 08:20:28 PM
You mean sell it and upgrade to a 100g or 170g rimless? Now you're talkin'! ;)
;D ;D ;D