New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Starfire 79 gallon tank build

Started by charlie, November 09, 2011, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Quote from: charlie on November 11, 2011, 07:31:40 AM
I should add a few tid bits of where i`m going with this tank & equipment that will be used etc, at least this is the plan i started with , who knows what will be the final result  ;), here goes
This build will be more of a fusion of the Nature & Dutch style aquascaping, this unfortunately does not lend itself well for competitions, at least from the people that judge  :)

The equipment list should be as follows
Tank - 48x20x20 starfire ADA style tank
Substrate - 5 or more Fluval Plant Stratum 8 KG bags
Hardscape- Redmoor wood (after research this wood is not the same as the popular Manznita)
Lighting - 4 bulb 48 inch T5 HO Tek light
Filtration - 2X Eheim 2026 Pro II
Intake & Return - glass lily pipe
Nutrients -
(a) Pressurised CO 2 injected via a Sumo twin needle valve Regulator @ 2 points in the tank, one via a DIY in line reactor driven by a Eheim compact 200 + pump & the other a passive in line UP atomizer.
(b) Macros & Micros will be salts from the Hydroponics via the Estimative Index

Heating - 300 watt Hydor ETH In-Line Heater
Controller -Reefkeeper lite 3
Livestock - BN plecos,Amano shrimp,Cherry shrimp,possibly some Crystal shrimp, Kuhli loach, Otto cat,Sterbai corie, SAE,Assain snail, Cardinal Tetras.
Plants- whatever i like & colourful  :)

Well that is the plan at least for now  :D

jetstream

Not try to hijack the thread, just want to share a related topic about some aquascaping!

http://www.miyabi-aqua.com/album?album=all&gallery=2

Enjoy!

charlie

Quote from: jetstream on November 11, 2011, 08:07:04 AM
Not try to hijack the thread, just want to share a related topic about some aquascaping!

http://www.miyabi-aqua.com/album?album=all&gallery=2

Enjoy!

Good stuff i remember looking at those, here is my inspiration, i guess since my penchant for colour in planted aquariums i`m partial to this, hence it has become my inspiration.

Complimnets of Tom Barr

charlie

Quote from: charlie on November 11, 2011, 07:31:40 AM
I should add a few tid bits of where i`m going with this tank & equipment that will be used etc, at least this is the plan i started with , who knows what will be the final result  ;), here goes
This build will be more of a fusion of the Nature & Dutch style aquascaping, this unfortunately does not lend itself well for competitions, at least from the people that judge  :)

The equipment list should be as follows
Tank - 48x20x20 starfire ADA style tank
Substrate - 5 or more Fluval Plant Stratum 8 KG bags
Hardscape- Redmoor wood (after research this wood is not the same as the popular Manznita)
Lighting - 4 bulb 48 inch T5 HO Tek light
Filtration - 2X Eheim 2026 Pro II
Intake & Return - glass lily pipe
Nutrients -
(a) Pressurised CO 2 injected via a Sumo twin needle valve Regulator @ 2 points in the tank, one via a DIY in line reactor driven by a Eheim compact  2000  pump & the other a passive in line UP atomizer.
(b) Macros & Micros will be salts from the Hydroponics via the Estimative Index

Heating - 300 watt Hydor ETH In-Line Heater
Controller -Reefkeeper lite 3
Livestock - BN plecos,Amano shrimp,Cherry shrimp,possibly some Crystal shrimp, Kuhli loach, Otto cat,Sterbai corie, SAE,Assain snail, Cardinal Tetras.
Plants- whatever i like & colourful  :)

Well that is the plan at least for now  :D

jetstream

I have the plant towards the left side in front of the driftwood. This plant even more challenge than Tonina. They are 2 mm tall at this moment. Will chip 1 or 2 into your project if they grow well. They are from Japan and not from South America without nuclear contamination!  ;)

Brine

That Redmoor wood looks interesting. Is there a local supplier? Can you share any links or research?

magnosis

This will be an exciting build to follow  8)

Q:  what are you using the RKL controller for ?  Temperature only, or CO2 regulation as well (with respect to PH) ?  The later would surprise me a little but maybe you've changed your mind regarding this approach ;) If that's the case I would be curious to hear the arguments for...

charlie

Quote from: jetstream on November 11, 2011, 11:53:26 AM
I have the plant towards the left side in front of the driftwood. This plant even more challenge than Tonina. They are 2 mm tall at this moment. Will chip 1 or 2 into your project if they grow well. They are from Japan and not from South America without nuclear contamination!  ;)
Hmmm, love that plan, i`ll take it.
Thanks

charlie

Quote from: Brine on November 11, 2011, 12:06:58 PM
That Redmoor wood looks interesting. Is there a local supplier? Can you share any links or research?
Hi Brine, it is the same wood sold @ Big Al`s as terrarium wood .
Edit to add link
http://www.google.ca/search?q=redmoor+root&hl=en&biw=1152&bih=602&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6Ja9TpO5O8i20QHk_ei8BA&ved=0CB0QsAQ

charlie

Quote from: magnosis on November 11, 2011, 03:14:44 PM
This will be an exciting build to follow  8)

Q:  what are you using the RKL controller for ?  Temperature only, or CO2 regulation as well (with respect to PH) ?  The later would surprise me a little but maybe you've changed your mind regarding this approach ;) If that's the case I would be curious to hear the arguments for...
(a) the controller is used both on the heat & co2 , lights filters etc.
(b) No i have not changed my mind, my sentiments was never against controllers as such , but it is not necessary, since plants do not need co2 at night but rather give off co2, that said i first acquired the controller to combat an ongoing issue i had with pH buffering, it is now & will be used with a timer between the controller & the co2 regulator solenoid, the timer will only allow the solenoid to kick on between a set time as determined by me despite the controller sending the signal for the solenoid to turn on.
I don`t think this controller has that ability on it`s own, but other well known & more capable ones do have it as a night mode, will have to do more research on the Reefkeeper Lite.
Regards

charlie

Thanks to some of my buddies Robert, Winnie & Ken, we  or Robert & Winnie  ;) got the  background applied, it is flat black vinyl, great job guys, yes i forgo on the backlighting wave & went this route.
We also summed up the hardscape & chatted til the wee hrs :)
Thanks guys , it was fun

Fishnut

NICE!!  Re you going to soak the wood before installing it?  What about wrapping moss around it?

charlie

Quote from: Fishnut on November 12, 2011, 12:56:58 PM
NICE!!  Re you going to soak the wood before installing it?  What about wrapping moss around it?
most of the wood is aged from previous use the red ones are the same type but new & will eventually age like the others, the are mounted on slate , so no need for soaking.
No plans for moss as of now.

will update later tonight after the substarte is added & a few more pcs of wood to tweak it a bit

robt18

Looking great Errol! I believe this officially breaks your record for longest tank build... over 2 days! Worth the time and effort for sure though.

Are you still considering the light tunnel idea?

charlie

Quote from: robt18 on November 12, 2011, 06:40:57 PM
Looking great Errol! I believe this officially breaks your record for longest tank build... over 2 days! Worth the time and effort for sure though.

Are you still considering the light tunnel idea?
Yes Rob you are on the money, this is a record  :)
I`m still debating it, will see when the plants start to set sail over to this tank

charlie

earlier today the substrate was added along with the final ( i think) tweak of the hardscape.
I just literally finished filling the tank & added some flow via the Eheim compact 2000 pump & a Small Aqua clear filter with carbon, now i sit & watch bubbles flow around, after a quick wipe of the bubbles on the front & side panels , i took a quick shot - notice how clear the water is despite it just been filled & the fluval substrate was not washed but dumped straight from the bags.

fischkopp

That is looking no too bad. Take your time, don't rush it!  ;)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Cheebs

It's looking killer so far. Boy does that starfire glass look nice!

Shawn84

Cant wait to see the final product. Looking amazing so far.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

charlie

Quote from: Chubs on November 13, 2011, 01:26:30 AM
It's looking killer so far. Boy does that starfire glass look nice!
Quote from: Shawn84 on November 13, 2011, 08:39:10 AM
Cant wait to see the final product. Looking amazing so far.
Quote from: fischkopp on November 12, 2011, 08:10:40 PM
That is looking no too bad. Take your time, don't rush it!  ;)
Thanks guys
@ chubs, i like it so much i`m already planting the seed for another tank  :)
@ Shawn - me too  :D
@ fischkopp,  what do you mean take it slow?  ;) i had this tank since Tuesday evening on the stand & it`s not planted & stocked & planted yet  :P, that`s real slow by my standards :)
;D