New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Keeping pond fish healthy through the winter

Started by touchofsky, March 01, 2012, 12:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchofsky

Just to add another bit of info to this thread.  Several years ago, in the mid 90's when I first started keeping pond fish in my unheated basement in winter, I thought I was doing the right thing by using a filter on the tank.  Turns out, that the bacteria that use ammonia can withstand low temperatures, but the bacteria that uses nitrite cannot.  I had a well cycled tank going up until the temperature dropped.  The first thing I noticed was on some of the matte goldfish with clear gill covers, I could see that their gills were not bright pink, but were turning brownish.  I had never seen this before, but it was brown blood disease, or nitrite poisoning.  I quickly used a 5X dosage of Prime to detoxify nitrite, then set up Rubbermaid tubs with clean water and transferred the fish.  Thankfully, I didn't lose one of them, and within a day or so, they were back to nice healthy red gills.

Now, I don't use filters on those tanks in the basement, but just do large water changes. 

It is an interesting hobby, and one that always keeps me learning and on my toes!

exv152

Quote from: touchofsky on March 01, 2012, 12:41:50 PMJust to add another bit of info to this thread.  Several years ago, in the mid 90's when I first started keeping pond fish in my unheated basement in winter, I thought I was doing the right thing by using a filter on the tank.  Turns out, that the bacteria that use ammonia can withstand low temperatures, but the bacteria that uses nitrite cannot.  I had a well cycled tank going up until the temperature dropped.  The first thing I noticed was on some of the matte goldfish with clear gill covers, I could see that their gills were not bright pink, but were turning brownish.  I had never seen this before, but it was brown blood disease, or nitrite poisoning.  I quickly used a 5X dosage of Prime to detoxify nitrite, then set up Rubbermaid tubs with clean water and transferred the fish.  Thankfully, I didn't lose one of them, and within a day or so, they were back to nice healthy red gills...

Interesting. Do you think it was the temperature that caused the nitrite problem or was it perhaps a lack of oxygen? Because koi fish, or any pond fish for that matter, can be kept outdoors year-round when the pond is deeper than 4 ft, and they usually don't sucuum to nitrites, or anything else. Could it be also that they don't feed as much, or at all, and so less fish waste is produced, hence less nitrites to contend with?  (Sorry for assisting in the hijack).
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

It was definitely nitrite.  Once you see a fish with brown blood, you will not mistake it.  It is quite dramatic.

I don't feed in winter once the temperature drops below 50 f. in my basement tanks, and that usually happens around Christmas.  My pond fish have not been fed since Christmas this year, and the temperature is now just below 50 f, so most likely in a week or two I will start feeding really lightly with a spring food.  Also, I always have provided aeration to my tanks. 

In all of the years I have only ever lost a few very small fry, and learned that any fry under 1" cannot seem to withstand the winter fast.  I bring those ones upstairs and keep them in a tank a room temperature and feed them.

touchofsky

Another interesting thing is that even though they haven't been fed since Christmas, they are still pooping.  It just shows how much their digestive systems slow down.

exv152

How often do you maintain your pond filter - remove debris and clean the media?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

I don't have a pond filter.  It is a completely natural system with the plants doing all of the work.  I set it up in 1995 and it hasn't failed me yet.  I will see if I can quickly find a picture.

touchofsky

The best pictures are on my other computer, but here is one of my daughter and her family (you can just see my granddaughters feet and hand pointing to a fish), and Paul's legs  :)

This picture is taken at a point where the water lily leaves need to be thinned, however, there is a bit of open water over at one corner.  The majority of the water is covered with foliage, though. 

touchofsky

Here is a picture taken several years ago now, in early spring, before the water lilies get going.  This would have been late April.

exv152

HOLY COW!  :P
That's an amazing pond. Very nice job.

Have you ever had any issues with cranes wanting to eat your fish? Also, have you ever kept butterfly koi fish? I'm looking into creating a pond myself this summer and butterfly koi (the ones with long elegant fins) are really drawing my attention. Any tips would be appreciated.

Wow, just incredible!!!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Thank you.  It is a simple pond and not very big, approx. 10 ft x 5 ft and approx 30" deep at the deepest point.  Over the years, It has developed a lot of mulm in the bottom, so it is quite shallow in some areas.  A couple of years ago, we hacked out about 1/4 of the water lilies and gave them away, and tried to reclaim some of the depth.

I have only kept goldfish and have some very pretty long finned comets.  I have never kept koi because I just don't have the water volume.

I haven't had a problem with cranes, and we do have them living close by since we are close to the Madawaska river and have a natural pond not far from our house.  However, with the really dense water lily foliage, the fish are pretty well protected.  My only predators have been common garter snakes that will lurk at the edge of the pond and catch the fish, particularly the white ones.  I tend to keep the white ones indoors now, since I feel bad putting them outside.

We also have a female turtle that visits every year and she lays her eggs in the gravel pathways.  We usually have a few very cute baby turtles for a short while.  They eventually hear the call of the wild, and head out for the natural pond.

We also have two species of newts that live in the pond, and I believe that they keep the goldfish fry somewhat under control.  We also have a lot of frogs.  It was amazing that within 10 minutes of putting water in the pond for the first time, we had a frog. 

exv152

Well, I think you definitely have something special there, the least of which seems to be the amazing property nestled in the wilderness. Thanks for sharing your photos, you've now got me excited about spring/summer.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

touchofsky

Yes, we do have a pretty spot here.  I am really looking forward to spring, too.  I can't wait to see the first crocus  :)

2075turner

touchofsky

Thanks, Evelyn  :)  When we first built our house here, we had to create something to look at from our front verandah other than trees and more trees.  So, after a couple of years, we put the pond in.  It was a very spur of the moment type of thing, but we have really enjoyed it.