New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

29 Gal Rift Lake Tank

Started by Lurch1, March 03, 2012, 06:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurch1

Here is my tank, finally set up. There are 2 yellow labs and a bunch of Salousi's from 2000a. Any comments/ criticisms welcome.

FishBuddy

From what I am seeing in the picture, you are running the tank with only a HOB?  What is the size of your HOB?  I suggest you up the filtration.  Cannister would be a better way to go for your tank. 

Are you planning to add more fish in the near future?

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

Lurch1

Quote from: FishBuddy on March 03, 2012, 08:03:46 PM
From what I am seeing in the picture, you are running the tank with only a HOB?  What is the size of your HOB?  I suggest you up the filtration.  Cannister would be a better way to go for your tank. 

Are you planning to add more fish in the near future?
It's an AC 50 on full. They are only juvies right now, and no I won't be adding more. As they grow I will be removing the ones I don't like to get to 2 males and 6 females with the pair of yellow labs and a BN pleco. I figure with 50% w/c a week it will be fine. A cannister filter is way out of my price range at this point.

Stussi613

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 03, 2012, 08:30:32 PM
It's an AC 50 on full. They are only juvies right now, and no I won't be adding more. As they grow I will be removing the ones I don't like to get to 2 males and 6 females with the pair of yellow labs and a BN pleco. I figure with 50% w/c a week it will be fine. A cannister filter is way out of my price range at this point.

There are tons of them listed for cheap at the giant auction today!!!
I haz reef tanks.

new_hobby

There canister filters on sale in the classified section i.e - XP2 Rena Filter - $35
- XP3 Rena Filter - $50. These are excellent price and good canister filters.

smalltownfan

It's an AC 50 on full.  I figure with 50% w/c a week it will be fine. A cannister filter is way out of my price range at this point.
With cichlids there's no such thing as overfiltration. When my 90 was running with cichlids I had a Fluval XP4, an AC 500 and a Hot Max HOB for for the surface skimmer
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Lurch1

;D when I get some more money I will look into one.

Malyon18

Ya when I had my 55g cichlid tank I had 2 AC 50's, a fluval 405, and 2 AC 70 powerheads with the quick filter attachments.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

smalltownfan

Quote from: Lurch1 on March 04, 2012, 06:04:22 PM
;D when I get some more money I will look into one.
My son was frustrated with his Eheim 2215 (almost new) conking out on him and was going to throw it out. I'm Dutch and hate to throw things out unless it's totally kaput. (Obviously my genes didn't get passed on). I took it home and am going to tear it down to find the problem. If I can get it going, it's yours. You only need to get new suction cups for the intake and sprayer bar. We'll stay in touch.

Hank
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

exv152

Quote from: smalltownfan on March 05, 2012, 02:59:12 PM
My son was frustrated with his Eheim 2215 (almost new) conking out on him and was going to throw it out. I'm Dutch and hate to throw things out unless it's totally kaput. (Obviously my genes didn't get passed on). I took it home and am going to tear it down to find the problem. If I can get it going, it's yours. You only need to get new suction cups for the intake and sprayer bar. We'll stay in touch.

Hank

That's a really nice gesture. When you say it conked-out, what exactly do you mean?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Lurch1

Hank

Wow, I never expected an offer like that! I will pm you.

smalltownfan

Quote from: exv152 on March 05, 2012, 03:40:54 PM
That's a really nice gesture. When you say it conked-out, what exactly do you mean?
He said when he would start fine then after a few days no good level of water flow. He'd turn it off, let it sit a bit then start it again. Same result.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

smalltownfan

My son was frustrated with his Eheim 2215 (almost new) conking out on him and was going to throw it out. I'm Dutch and hate to throw things out unless it's totally kaput.
Hank
Yesterday at work I noticed someone was throwing out a set of computer speakers with a sub. I took them home and opened up the main speaker. It must have been dropped because a corner of the circuit board inside had chipped off. I soldered  jumper wires across the gaps and now have a set of awesome Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultras (worth $129.95 on-line)
;D ;D ;D ;D  ;D ;)
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Lurch1

You are a true MacGyver! My wife and I are the same way. Earn a penny, save a penny..... to put towards another fish tank. (My wife only agrees with the first part though)

exv152

Quote from: smalltownfan on March 06, 2012, 08:35:15 AMHe said when he would start fine then after a few days no good level of water flow. He'd turn it off, let it sit a bit then start it again. Same result.

Where did he have the filter canister placed in relation to the tank?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

smalltownfan

Quote from: exv152 on March 06, 2012, 09:35:51 PM
Where did he have the filter canister placed in relation to the tank?
75g on a stand, Eheim down below on the floor,
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

exv152

Quote from: smalltownfan on March 06, 2012, 10:11:11 PM
75g on a stand, Eheim down below on the floor,

I just read your post in the emergency thread, about mts shells getting in the impeller shaft. Did you manage to get a new part from BAs and get the unit running again?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Lurch1

So smalltownfan was so kind as to give my an Eheim 2215. It's now up and running and looks sweet. Babies on the way too in about a month.