New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

GROUP BUILD: Micromatic CO2 Regulator

Started by daworldisblack, April 09, 2012, 11:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

So recently there have been quite a few questions on CO2 regulators especially with regards to the best brand, quality etc. The general consensus is that when it comes to CO2 regulators, buy the best you can with what your budget allows. I myself have been reserving my funds to get a better co2 regulator instead of purchasing a cheaper one. A cheaper one may have its merits but chances are you might need one again in the near future and in my books thats a nono - I am not going to spend twice the amount for one product.

As Mike Holmes would say, "if you're going to do it once, do it right" and that is what I intend to do. I want a regulator that will last me a lifetime with quality parts. Many think that it costs one an arm and a leg but the fact of the the matter is that it really just costs as much as you want it to and not much more then what you would pay for a cheaper, low-end unit.

Over the weekend, Errol brought up an idea up and we decided to rally the troops. We're trying to see if there are others interested in this crusade to get the bang for your buck and get something that will last. We can get a group buy in for parts and perhaps save on unit prices as well as shipping. Then we can have a group-build session to build our regulators en-masse (perhaps our next Plantaholics meeting?).

Here is the regulator body that we're interested in pimping up (pretty much the best one out there apparently):

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-642.html

This should be fun and worthwhile so lets make it happen!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

androo303

exv152

Sounds like a good idea, count me in too!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Feivel

I can check with eric fournier from linde to see if they have any good quality cheap co2 regulators as they are the worlds #1 supplier in gases and compressed gas bottles. Most likely the local airliquid guys have them too. I know i can most likely get a better price if multiple units are purchased at the same time

Anyone interested in that?

daworldisblack

Quote from: Feivel on April 09, 2012, 07:22:08 PM
I can check with eric fournier from linde to see if they have any good quality cheap co2 regulators as they are the worlds #1 supplier in gases and compressed gas bottles. Most likely the local airliquid guys have them too. I know i can most likely get a better price if multiple units are purchased at the same time

Anyone interested in that?

Are you referring to regulators or CO2 Tanks? If its the latter, that would be sweeeeet!

Feivel

Ummmm both really. Im a welder they are my suppliers. I should get an answer today from eric.they definately have co2 bottles for rent and regulators for sale. And if they dont then air liquide will. Linde also does refils.    There by st laurent beside import auto (volvo) across from ideal roofing. It used to be BOC Gaz. Googlw search if intrrested. Anyone from gatineau can call vision industrielle and they have a WICKED online manual and there are TONS of regulators. U can pick wich one suits you best then i take that model/serial number run it to air liquide and get a bulk purchase price. Its always cheaper the more you buy. Oh and stay away from princess auto regulators ! Regulators are under very high pressures and are not to be messed with.

Cheers hope any of this helps

exv152

Thanks Feivel, Are you referring to air liquide here http://www.ca.airliquide.com/
? If so, they're on empress ave off of merivale in the industrial park area. I'd be interested in both a regulator and cylinder. I can't wait to hear what you find out!

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 10, 2012, 09:38:22 AM
Thanks Feivel, Are you referring to air liquide here http://www.ca.airliquide.com/
? If so, they're on empress ave off of merivale in the industrial park area. I'd be interested in both a regulator and cylinder. I can't wait to hear what you find out!

Typically gas companies don`t sell bottles/cylinder, they lease them on a swap out when you need gas.

Feivel

I know the full size bottle os about 80$ for the year and about 100$ to fill. That lasts me welding at 8.5 hours a day at 35lbs psi lasts me about 2 3 weeks. Oh delivery is 30$ per tank per fill delivered to your door. Unless you can stand the bottle upright and are willing to travel to pick it up then u will save.

This is for the big bottles (think of your mechanix oxygen/acetylene cutting torch tanks)

Obviously chaper for the smaller tanks

exv152

Quote from: Feivel on April 10, 2012, 12:02:44 PMI know the full size bottle os about 80$ for the year and about 100$ to fill. That lasts me welding at 8.5 hours a day at 35lbs psi lasts me about 2 3 weeks. Oh delivery is 30$ per tank per fill delivered to your door. Unless you can stand the bottle upright and are willing to travel to pick it up then u will save.

This is for the big bottles (think of your mechanix oxygen/acetylene cutting torch tanks)
Obviously chaper for the smaller tanks

If you're filling your tank once, twice, or even three times a year, you're better off paying cash even if you assume it'll cost half the amount for the smaller tanks - the exchange and refill costs may not be worth it for us aquarists. I run a 10lbs tank on a 25g aquarium and I doubt I'll need to refill even once per year, so paying $140 to own your own, plus a $20-25 to refill is well worth my while.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Feivel

For sure i totally agree. Just saying there is that option. The amount of gas in that tank would probably go stale before, you have a chance to use it all lol. Im sure the smaller tanks are much cheaper to rent. Just keep in mind to make static tests and pressure tests once every couple years to ma ke sure the cylinder isnt getting too fatigued from the contained pressure and/or bumping it in transport or damages also that all the seals are in check. Just thinking safety for you guys running those older tanks.

Food for thought
Cheers

charlie

Quote from: Feivel on April 10, 2012, 05:26:36 PM
For sure i totally agree. Just saying there is that option. The amount of gas in that tank would probably go stale before, you have a chance to use it all lol. Im sure the smaller tanks are much cheaper to rent. Just keep in mind to make static tests and pressure tests once every couple years to ma ke sure the cylinder isnt getting too fatigued from the contained pressure and/or bumping it in transport or damages also that all the seals are in check. Just thinking safety for you guys running those older tanks.

Food for thought
Cheers
Each tank has to be hydro tested every 5 yrs & stamped by a certified dealer, they will not fill it if it`s past due the stamped date.
I can`t say i ever heard of co2 going stale & having any detriment for planted tank hobbyist.
Regards

charlie

So it looks like 3 people so far Eric ( exv) Rah& Androo, anyone else?
My suggestion is as follows
Regulator body - Micromatic shipped to Ogendsburg- drive over & PU - approx 55.00 + txs & duty which i think is about 20.00-30.00 less than if you order in Canada
Solenoid- order from Wainbee Canada) - clippard solenoid - this takes 2-3 weeks for them to get it approx 29.00 before shipping & tax etc
Needlevalve - if you want the really good one either a swagelok or Ideal- Swagelok can be ordered locally & also have a lead time-75-100 depending on type
Middle of the line would be a Fabco - approx30-50.00
Brass fittings -Local H/ware
Bubble cmounted munted on needle valve On line ordering ,  isuggest  the Fluval inline Bubble counter approx 12.00
Check valve special order form Big Al`s- Red sea
That  will give you a rock steady rig for the dollars.
Errol

exv152

Micro matic, I believe, is fabricated & assembled in the US, with US parts, so duty should not apply because of nafta, but customs could charge HST. Duty applies to anything being shipped into Canada that's manufactured outside northamerica, with some exceptions - clothes, alcohol etc. But you'd still have to pay US state tax, shipping, plus HST on the reg. I think we're looking at roughly $200-$250 all-in, depending on the needlevalve.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 12, 2012, 09:31:02 AM
Micro matic, I believe, is fabricated & assembled in the US, with US parts, so duty should not apply because of nafta, but customs could charge HST. Duty applies to anything being shipped into Canada that's manufactured outside northamerica, with some exceptions - clothes, alcohol etc. But you'd still have to pay US state tax, shipping, plus HST on the reg. I think we're looking at roughly $200-$250 all-in, depending on the needlevalve.
That is accurate Eric, all the more reason to get this group build in motion people.
Errol

daworldisblack

Lets set a cut-off date and see how many we have. We might not get major discounts but we're still going to save a good deal on a quality build! Lets get this done sooner then later!

charlie

So when is the cut off date & the projected build date - I need to build myself one sooner than later.
Just found out what i thoght was a good reg body is dud.

exv152

So far we have four interested, maybe someone can contact micromatic to see what kind of discount they'll offer if we order four regulators at once...1(866)291-5756.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Cut-Off date is THIS FRIDAY 20th April! It would be great to get this started sooner then later so lets jump on it! Just post your interest here and once we've tallied the numbers we can go ahead and see how sweet a deal we can get!

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on April 16, 2012, 09:15:43 PM
So far we have four interested, maybe someone can contact micromatic to see what kind of discount they'll offer if we order four regulators at once...1(866)291-5756.
Planted tank folks are missing a golden opportunity to custom build a quality Pressurized system, it`s not top of the line by any means but it certainly will be the best bang @ it`s cost.