New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Yellow Watchmen Goby not so yellow

Started by DrReefer, April 18, 2012, 12:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrReefer

Hey guys ! I have notice that since adding the lights to my tank ( 250w MH / 2x 96w Actinic / Blue led Moons) My Goby is looking kind of pale . He still has a yellow line in the middle of his body and nice green dots on his body. the 2 other parts of his body tho are turning white and the accents on his fins and his mouth are turning black

Any one had this happen to his Yellow Watchmen ?!

thanks for any info I will try to get a pic up

JetJumper

Its very common on a lot of boards it seems for them to turn to this look

I don't think I know the actual reason behind it,  but if you search google for "My yellow watchman changed colours" you will find lots of people talking about it.

I believe jon1985 has the same issue with his.  don't know if he ever found out why?
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

DrReefer

Thanks for the quick reply !! I have found a few posts online but had no valid answer to why this was happening :( kind of sad because I really liked the flashy yellow color :( He still looks cool but Id rather have the nice Yellow

Oh well ! Life is life :P

Greatwhite

Depending on the time of day you looked at him, and the type of light that was hitting him - he might appear pale.  Someone once told me that they go pale when it's dark and brighten back up when the lights are on. 

DrReefer

Quote from: Greatwhite on April 18, 2012, 02:52:44 PM
Depending on the time of day you looked at him, and the type of light that was hitting him - he might appear pale.  Someone once told me that they go pale when it's dark and brighten back up when the lights are on. 

Actually I see him pale under the actinics / Mh and he is somewhat darker under the LED moonlights

It kind of sucks as all my other fishes have nice colors except this one :( I still like him tho :P He still looks happy even tho his frown is allot darker lol

JetJumper

I heard one rumor that females do this and males do not.  I don't know the truth to this however.  Try and get "her" a male counterpart :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Greatwhite

Quote from: JetJumper on April 18, 2012, 03:34:50 PM
I heard one rumor that females do this and males do not.  I don't know the truth to this however.  Try and get "her" a male counterpart :)

Interesting thought... I know that females of many animals are "duller" than the males.  Don't see why gobies would be any different. 

At night, my super-bright-yellow tang is almost white - then back to bright yellow in the morning.  *shrug* :)

DrReefer

bandit

with out 6700k mine is pale but with a 6700k he is bright yellow.

Dakotamay

I just saw one with this coloring at Forty Fathoms. I didn't buy him or her fast enough. I loved the color. Looked neat.

DrReefer

even in the 14K MH he is still almost transparent :( I agree it is kind of a cool color but still I wanted something yellow in my tank and I still love the little guy but I would of loved if he was still yellow :/

Hookup

mine did the same... sold him/her...  would like to know why they do this... heard the male/female rumor before... and the lighting spectrum thing...

DrReefer

Quote from: Hookup on May 28, 2012, 08:25:05 AM
mine did the same... sold him/her...  would like to know why they do this... heard the male/female rumor before... and the lighting spectrum thing...

From what I was told Keith (MS) ,  they some times do that and there is no such thing as a male / female. He says a fish will loose / change color either from stress of new environment or just of aging. And even in the right conditions , It can also happen. I don't think I want to go trough all the trouble to get him out of the tank , I will just learn to love him as he is ..... Just like my mother did with me ;P ahaha

DrReefer

*** UPDATE ***

As of today , I had not seen my yellow watchmen for a few days when I was feeding this morning I got good look at him and to my disbelief ... He was turning yellow again !! no more white / pale spots and no more black highlights of fins and frown ! So it is true they can either go form yellow to pale white or the other way around :D

I will keep this post updated of any changes in the color and will try to load a few pics