New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ponds & Aquaria Field Trip! :D

Started by Nerine, April 29, 2012, 04:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

Who's ready for a field trip?! Pond season is here! and a BIG thank you to Richard Inchley from Ponds & Aquaria for offering the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society a wonderful opportunity to get out to see his facility! - THANK YOU!

As of May 12th and 13th - they will have full stock of fish, all pond plants will be in and planted for the season and they will have a full complement of Microbe lift water treatments and additives. Pond liner, underlay, nets, planting baskets, fish food, soil and more!

For this year as an introductory offer up to 25% off product purchased at the greenhouses, including pumps, filters, UV's ordered. (See Richard for more details!)

May 12 & 13th Ponds & Aquaria are open both days as part of the West Carleton Trillium Tour - These are the two days we encourage OVAS members to attend as well!

We can also see the greenhouses as well as where they do all their perennials and grasses.

If you would like to carpool on the weekend of May 12 & 13th - I will set up a thread for carpooling

And I forgot one important tiny detail - start and end time ;) I will get those asap and post when I have them!!! :)

I know I'm excited to go out and see the greenhouses and pond plants!

Let us know if you're planning on going, and post your photos when you get back

ALSO - if you're interested: Saturday May 5th is Build a Pond Day - anyone is welcome if you are interested in the construction side of things! (I personally won't be able to go, but if you do, please let us know how it went!)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

wolfiewill

Where is the site located? I and a friend are going and I could drive a couple of other people from the Kanata/Richmond/North Gower areas. G
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Nerine

From Richard: The trillium tour is an all day affair  10am to 5 pm both Saturday and Sunday. Excellent opportunity to check out some local artisans and gardens. The website is www.redtrilliumst.com  <- so anytime between then!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

wolfiewill

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Anja

Sounds like it could be great day out. I'd be interested in carpooling. I'd need a ride from Bells Corners and would, of course, share in the gas.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

Nerine

Hope your calenders are marked! THIS weekend is the big day(s) :) My family and I are looking forward to going!! yay!

Who else is going on Saturday??

Nerine

Wow :D we just got back from 290KM of driving....haha a VERY long day!!

Started our day at Ponds & Aquaria, THANK YOU Richard!! it was beautiful!!! we LOVE the plants we picked up!
Saw some fellow OVAS'ers! and the tot wanted to take Bessie home hehe

After that we went to Home Depot looking for screws, came home with some plants and went to Rona and Lowes as well and came home with plants ;) so over all, an AWESOME plant day!

and the highlight of the day - finding a hardy orchid at Richard's place along with some other very hard to find plants!

pictures to follow!

Nerine

A few of the awesome plants we got :D

touchofsky

Fishnut

We went as well!  It was a great afternoon.  Richard and his wife are such fantastic hosts, as is their 4 legged welcoming party.  My 2 year old had a blast as well and all he talked about on the way home was "the house of the dog with the giant fan in the garage (greenhouse)".  Lol.

Richard wasn't busy when we got there so we had some time to talk about my pond construction.  Can't wait for them to get it started!!