New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Technical zoa question-palytoxin

Started by Feivel, May 02, 2012, 06:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feivel

I have a few zoo's in my tank. For those following my posts it has the bta on it. I have one on my koralia pump that grew hair algae then cyano and I just cleaned it. I just read up on fragging zoas and read up on palytoxin.  Got me CrAzY scared. a few reason of concern: I chew my nails, I have touched them recently. Im not sure if my apt. Is moldy or its the welding fumes(i do have a speedglas 3m adflo filter helmet with a niosh carcbon filter and hepa filter changes every 2 month) or the fact I was astmathic as a kid but im having respiratry problems lately. Noticed About 6 months now. As in walking up a flight of stairs and having to catch my breath. 3 options, work-zoas-mold .... What do you think?

How toxic are zoas? How fsst and strong is this palytoxin? how strong is it in the water? Do they have to be bother to release this? By all mans I dont handle them often but there in the tank nonethe less.

Im sure some dont even know what or have ever heard or palytoxin. This may be a good thread to read :-)

Palytoxin is on wikipedia

Feivel

Could I be affected by rubbing then?

JetJumper

from what I have read the effects from palytoxin is quick and not a delayed 6month effect.  If you are worried about mold I would be more inclined to say it might be that then zoa's.  Cases that I have read about with regards to Zoa's are usually a 24/hour effect and are VERY severe that requires hospital attention or death might set in.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Feivel

Thats what I thought I understood. So the touch of them is "ok" but the juices are deadly.

JetJumper

well, I have personally cut up zoo's and touch them "juice" and had no ill effects.  Perhaps its the Zoa's I have that don't have as strong of toxins in there?  I don't know that.  But I would not rub my eyes or get it in an open wound if I was you. 

As for biting finger nails.. I do the same and have no ill effects.. I am also presuming it rely's heavily on the persons immune system as well whether or not you are susceptible to the toxins effects.   

Feivel

Cool I all of a sudden dont feel so scared anymore. 1option ruled out 2 options to go lol. I have a clsc worker aiding me in how to raise my daughter properly so she actually listens. She has great trick let me tell you. Anyways im going to ask her on my next meeting if she can habe someone come check the place. I believe the landlord should then have to put me in a hotel until the apt issue is resolved. Or break the lease and find a new place altogether using the report to legaly get out of it without any trouble.

I do use a state of the art filtering helmet all day pretty much at work. So that almost rules that out mind you the welding fumes long term will have fatal issues. Aluminum will cause alzheimersand arthritis. The fumes can have lung cancer and blah blah short welding is the worst job for your health.i didnt have any issues doing 2 years of school with a regular miller elite autotint helmet.  Only since I moved into this apt. And started welding aluminum. This may not have much to do with fish or tanks at this point but the advice/info is apprexiated.

JetJumper