New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Recovering from stn

Started by Emeraude1484, May 02, 2012, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraude1484

Hi all! :)

What would you do with colonies that have suffered from stn?  Pull them out and frag the salvageable parts or will they grow back down the old skeleton?  Old pic, cyano's not as bad.

JetJumper

I doubt they will regrow down, or atleast look decent.  Usually from what I have seen with my SPS is once there is RTN / STN in the lower levels of the calcium structure it does not tend to grow back down. 

Could be just my tank though.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Emeraude1484

Quote from: JetJumper on May 02, 2012, 09:10:21 PM
I doubt they will regrow down, or atleast look decent.  Usually from what I have seen with my SPS is once there is RTN / STN in the lower levels of the calcium structure it does not tend to grow back down.  

Could be just my tank though.

That's what I thought I just wanted to double check before hacking it all apart... :(
THANKS!

JetJumper

you need to get yourself an emerald crab or 2 or 3.. for all that bubble algae.  :D

Emeraude1484

Quote from: JetJumper on May 02, 2012, 09:14:55 PM
you need to get yourself an emerald crab or 2 or 3.. for all that bubble algae.  :D

HA! I have 4 lol

Problem was I was given the advice to leave it alone for fear of the spores colonizing somewhere else.  It essentially took over the tank before I scrapped the stuff off with the mindset "well... it can't very well get worse!". 

FYI it is actually much better now ;)

JetJumper

thats good!  UV Filter ;) and pick them off manually is the route I would go.  UV will take care of any spores that pass through it.

mmaisonneuve

Try Blue Knucle Hermit (AZ) I bought a nice Scroll Coral Last week and It had a moderate patch or two of Bubble Algae....After dipping in the Coral RX I introduce the piece to the reef tank and next thing I saw was my 2 Blue Knucle hermit going for the Bubble Algae....next morning it was all gone !
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

az

Quote from: mmaisonneuve on May 03, 2012, 10:18:59 AM
Try Blue Knucle Hermit (AZ) I bought a nice Scroll Coral Last week and It had a moderate patch or two of Bubble Algae....After dipping in the Coral RX I introduce the piece to the reef tank and next thing I saw was my 2 Blue Knucle hermit going for the Bubble Algae....next morning it was all gone !

you named your blueknuckle AZ??

j/k
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

mmaisonneuve

LOL

No ! Get one from your place !!!
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Emeraude1484

:D I'll keep that in mind next time I go in.  My 4 emerald crabs SHOULD do the job now that I've helped them along though.