New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Minimum lighting.

Started by Feivel, May 03, 2012, 09:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feivel

Lol never mind the fish .... Im worried about the 600$ in corals.... I dont want to loose any. And doesent back to back water changes like that create an un evenness in the trace elements?  Thos stuff is to heavy it just sits at the bottom of syphone tube. I cary it to a pile and scoop it out. it seems to have started thinning out. The sandbed has about an inch of red algae (beneath the sand,line on the glass) also where the cyano was seems to be turning red too

Dakotamay

Quote from: Feivel on May 05, 2012, 09:25:18 AM
Lol never mind the fish .... Im worried about the 600$ in corals.... I dont want to loose any. And doesent back to back water changes like that create an un evenness in the trace elements?  Thos stuff is to heavy it just sits at the bottom of syphone tube. I cary it to a pile and scoop it out. it seems to have started thinning out. The sandbed has about an inch of red algae (beneath the sand,line on the glass) also where the cyano was seems to be turning red too

Just ride it out. I wouldn't do daily water changes. I'd just do 5-10% weekly. I'd make that your regular maintenance habit. We've been in salt for just over 2 years now and always done 10% weekly water changes.  Right now with our 180gal we have roughly 200 gals of water volume so I do a 25 gal weekly.  I've never had to dose calcium or any other elements as the weekly water changes replenish what my tank uses so far. As I get more corals I might need to dose.

Hookup

Corals are fine for a few days. Unless they are on the edge of dying anyhow.

Water changes are almost never a bad thing.  Trace elements should not be your focus at this point.  Nutrient control and stability of temp, salinity, pH, ALk, Ca and Mg is number one priority.  A very very distant second is trace elements.

Water changes are going to allow you to suck up the cyano and "fix" any water column issues prior to your blackout period. 

I cannot stress this enough.  Water changes are your best friends.   

About the only time I'd not do massive changes is when switching salt brands and/or when parameters are significanly different than the out of bucket mix.  But at 10-15% volume changes it would have to be very far off to make an impact in one change.   

Feivel

Mi nm imum lights on is 6.5 hours. And i now know how to do a black out. Now thinking on why the cyano is there I dont think the black out would be my best idea because it is caused by the stirred up established sand bed i got from somebody else. All the living creatures that died is the cause of the nutrients so slightly heavy AC is best solution but not too many AC in a row from piggy backing nutrients from the salt. In example putting 3scoops of biocal everyday in a 20gal tank. Just picture those numbers compiling.

I got me 2 of them fancy blue reef brights. Crazy to the eye. I replaced my actinic bulb with another white. Ill turn the lights down one from 10hrs to 8 but leaving the reef brights on a bit longer