New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

who packs the stronger punch

Started by bandit, June 07, 2012, 01:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit

Ok I have some GSP starting to get to high, I placed a scroll coral over top of it hoping it would grow and shade the GSP unfortunatly the GSP grows hella faster and is starting to grow over the scroll.

So my question is from experiance what will win a battle against gsp.

Mushrooms?
Candy cane/trumpet?

jon1985

The problem with GSO is how fast it grows.  I saw a tank that has gsp growing up the stock of torch coral, it didnt stop until it go to the head because the torch tenticles would sting it and keep it at bay.  Im not sure anything will out grow it but there are lots of corals that would sting it and keep it from over growing said coral.

bt

Try an "agressive" coral like Jon suggested.  Anything that could out-grow GSP is going to be a problem in it's own right.

I've known people who have had good luck keeping GSP back with use of kalk paste, but you have to keep an eye on the GSP and reapply the paste as necessary.

JetJumper

There is one 'coral' that keeps this one at bay very nicely!  Its called a Knife coral.  Cuts it right back and keeps it where you want it! :D

Realistically.. tear it off the rocks from spots you don't want it.  It just grows WAY too fast for anything else to compete.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

bandit

I have done putty over it and cut it back but its at the bottom of a 24" tank and its a real pita. Im going to go at it like crazzy with a stainless steel brush should tear it to pieces only issue is. Will it release toxins into my tank.

NjOyRiD

I have done it in the past
al lyou have to do is surround it with mushroom
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

mmaisonneuve

Try a Galaxy Coral !!! It will kill everything I can assure you ! I've experience it first hand
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

vonG

it doesn't like mushrooms.
it doesn't like candy cane.
it reeeeeeeeeeeeally doesn't like duncans either :)

it's everywhere in my tank.

embrace it - you can't erase it :D

Hookup

Quote from: bandit on June 07, 2012, 04:10:50 PM
I have done putty over it and cut it back but its at the bottom of a 24" tank and its a real pita. Im going to go at it like crazzy with a stainless steel brush should tear it to pieces only issue is. Will it release toxins into my tank.

Worried this will just cause it to spread to everywhere...  Like blowing on a dandelion head...

mmaisonneuve

With a Galaxy Coral beside it....no spreading. It will sting it to death and will die off.
90g Tank, 50g Sump. Super Reef Octopus 2000 skimmer , 1 Bio Beads reactor, 1 GFO Reactor, 1 Carbon Reactor, 2 Ecotech Radion XR30w, 3 Vortech MP10w ES,  Eheim 1260 Return Pump. AquaController Apex System. SPS Reef with Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Dejardini Tang, Mated pair Madanrin, Clown, Purple Fire Fish, Bengali Cardinals, Coral Beauty. Tons and tons of Snail and Hermits

Severum

An anemone will also kill it but its not a coral...
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

bandit

Thanks for all the help I used a KNIFE coral actually an axe lol. Took the rock out and chipped the gsp off with an axe. had to do alot of new rockwork but it looks better IMO already

Feivel