New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Black Emerald Crab

Started by Fortix, June 26, 2012, 08:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortix

Caught this guy in my tank today.  Haven't seen my emerald in months!  This guy is huge now!

Dakotamay

We have one that looks exactly like that. We banished ours to the sump since we didn't know what he was and if he might be predatory of our smaller fish and shrimps.  ???
Does anyone know if this guy is safe? or does he need to continue living out his days in our sump?  He's set up pretty nice down there really lol. 50 gal with 80lbs of live rock all to himself.

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Fortix

Zero loss of shrimp or fish.  Lost a few snails, but that could be for a number of reasons.  Corals untouched as well.

We'll see in another few months when he pops out again...

ihavecrabs

This is not a black emerald crab.  Get that out of your tank.  I got one on a piece of lr.  He is now in the refugium, doing fine.  This is not a reef friendly crab.

Greatwhite

Quote from: jee on June 27, 2012, 11:05:37 AM
Hahahahaha+1

Red eyes = evil is actually part of how I determine if crabs are good/bad guys.  Red eyes, and sharp claws = bad... red eyes and round claws = maybe good?  no eyes and NO claws - probably a rock.

Fortix

Hmmm, maybe you guys are right.  Not sure how I'd catch him though.  This would be the first time I see it in 2 and a half years if it's not my emerald crab...

ihavecrabs

Definitely not a emerald crab.  The one you have is called Actaeodes tomentosus i believe.  Some will also call them gorilla crabs.   But they only come out at night normally.  Have you thought of making a trap.  I think they mostly prey on sps corals.   

Fortix

Caught him on the first attempt!

Doesn't look so big in the glass.

I'll get another pic before my friend grabs him to put in his sump.

Fortix

He's shy...   :)

ihavecrabs

Vincenzo.