New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water analysis results are in. It doesn't look good.

Started by magnosis, August 08, 2012, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

Thus far I have been doing bi-weekly 50% water changes on my planted tanks with water sampled from my home water softener.  The tanks are doing ok, but not great.  Algae is persistent, snails have discolored, translucent shells, and all amano shrimps recently added died within 24 hours.

I normall have the water tested yearly - ph, gh, kh, iron.  This year I decided to spend the extra $ and get a thorough analysis, from both well water and softened water.

Here are the results. There are good and bad news.

Silver (Ag)       < 0.0003   -->    < 0.0003
* Calcium (Ca)      140.0      -->      2.0   
  Cobalt (Co)       < 0.02     -->    < 0.02   
* Copper (Cu)         0.029    -->      0.31   
  Iron (Fe)         < 0.1      -->    < 0.1   
* Magnesium (Mg)     18.0      -->      0.3   
  Manganese (Mn)    < 0.003    -->    < 0.003 
  Potassium (K)       2.5      -->      0.9   
* Sodium (Na)        71.0      -->    250.0   
  Zinc (Zn)         < 0.005    -->      0.019 
  Arsenic (As)      < 0.001    -->    < 0.001 
  Barium (Ba)         0.21     -->    < 0.02   
  Boron (B)         < 0.05     -->    < 0.05   
  Cadmium (Cd)      < 0.002    -->    < 0.002 
  Chrome (Cr)       < 0.005    -->    < 0.005 
  Lead (Pb)         < 0.001    -->    < 0.001 

Hardness (GH)    424.0       -->      6.0    (mg/L CaCO3
  Hardness (GH)     23.74      -->      0.36   (dGH)

I am concerned about items in bold.

- Ca and Mg are too high (before softener) or too low (after softener)

- Sodium in added by the softener in much greater quantities than advertised. This is the worst case (sampled a few hours after the unit went through a regeneration cycle).  250ppm is beyond what Health Canada's standard for drinking water (200ppm).

- Copper is also added by the unit (?). I'm not sure I understand how. Suggested E.I. weekly dosage is 0.0044 ppm.  I'm at 0.31 !!

- Liquid metal comes in, 0 dGH water comes out...

- Last year the KH of softened water was 18 dKH.  I did not have it tested yet, but I think it will be about the same.

What is your recommendation ?  Would I be able to use a mix of well water & softened water, provided I can dose Ca+Mg and remove the copper somehow ?  Or does this call for a RO or RO/DI unit ?

robt18

Ca and Mg are easy ones to add back in... there are dosing chems/ferts readily available. As far as the sodium levels go, its hard to avoid when using a softener, you may want to look into RO to take care of that issue. Water conditioners usually detoxify copper, so that may not be an issue for you post-treatment, but an RO would also remedy the problem.

magnosis

Thanks Rob.  I'm trying to avoid an RO/DI but it really looks like I need one :/

dpatte

I'm curious how these numbers compare to Ottawa city water.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

exv152

I agree, an RO unit is your best bet & Ca and Mg can easily be added by way of seachem equilibrium, as well as the other micro nutrients it contains.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Fishnut

How high are the mineral levels in your well water?  I'm assuming the hardness and therefore minerals are much higher.

What kinds of fish are you keeping?

I agree that RO water is the best route.  If you don't want to go to the expense of buying an RO unit, etc, you can go to those water deopt type shops and fill up a few jugs with the already prepared RO water.  Not too sure what it costs though.

I used to use RO water mixed with regular tap water when I lived in Hamilton and kept discus.  The water hardness there is perfect for african cichlids because of the level of calcium...maybe a few more minerals.  It was a pain to get my mix established but it worked out in the end.  I also didn't add anything to the water.  I didn't keep shrimp back then though.

magnosis

Hi all,
Sorry for being so late, been sick and all...

Quote from: Fishnut on August 19, 2012, 07:12:56 AM
How high are the mineral levels in your well water?

That's the left (red) column in my first post.

Quote from: Fishnut on August 19, 2012, 07:12:56 AM
What kinds of fish are you keeping?
12-15 Tuxedo Platies
8 Blue Neon Tetras
1 SAE

I want to add another 30 or so small fish;  not quite sure which ones but will be tetras, danios, rasboras and/or barbs.

OK so I'm pretty much decided on a AirWaterIce Typhoon III RO/DI unit.  Will be hooked up *after* the softener; from what I've gathered, the RO membrane will last longer on high Na than high Ca & Mg.

Will fill up a 40G container with RO/DI, mix some well water and target 5-10 dGH.

It's almost certain I will need to adjust Ca/Mg, will have to experiment with the amounts.  I think the Ca:Mg ratio should be around 3:1 to 4:1, right ?

Thanks everyone for the tips !!

tim_s

Do you have copper pipping leaving the water soft. - how old is your house?