New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

NEED HELP TO ZAP APP

Started by Jkelley, August 15, 2012, 03:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkelley

I'm noticing Apptaisia appearing in a patch of my zo's?  How do I kill the unwanted bugger.

And yes I'm new at the hobby

bt

You can try a syringe with lemon juice.  Inject it into the stem of the aiptasia.  I had some success with that.

But I've had more success with Aiptasia-X.

You could try a peppermint shrimp as well, but they're hit and miss.

Hookup

I use peppermints, carribean only...

If they get big, i mix a sludgy solution of KALKWASSER and tank water, mix-in a cube or two of food (frozen), shut all flow off inthe tank and feed it to them... kills em good... most LFS's who dose KALK should be able to give you 1TBSP of it for free...

As my wrasse has developed a taste for shrimp, i'm going to try a file-fish next... heard good things.

Jkelley

Thanks guys for the advice.  Lemon juice first, and should citric acid be to weak I will call for peppermint shrimp reinforcement armed with Aiptasia X.

Will these chemicals, or KALK change my parameters drastically?

Yup I'm a noob

Darth

Quote from: Jkelley on August 16, 2012, 09:48:21 AM
Thanks guys for the advice.  Lemon juice first, and should citric acid be to weak I will call for peppermint shrimp reinforcement armed with Aiptasia X.

Yup I'm a noob
no the paste wil be fine, be careful with the aptasia if you don't get it its gonna spread, don't try and pull it off, its gonna spread, aptasia x never worked for me, it does kill the aptasia but I also think it causes it to release it spores and repopulate

Jkelley

Quoteno the paste wil be fine

What is this paste you speak of Darth?

Darth

Quote from: Jkelley on August 16, 2012, 09:48:21 AM

[If they get big, i mix a sludgy solution of KALKWASSER and tank water, mix-in a cube or two of food (frozen), shut all flow off inthe tank and feed it to them... kills em good... most LFS's who dose KALK should be able to give you 1TBSP of it for free...
[/quote]
most people mix this into a paste kind of and smother it
peppermint shrimp work well when the aptasia is small, but as said they are hit and miss, and only the carib ones work
in my boughts with aptasia the only sure fire cure I have seen is a file fish, but the downside is the eat soft coral as well, and then are almost impossible to catch after the aptasia is all gone I have been trying to catch mine so I can sell him for over a month, last time I had one I had to take the whole tank apart, and I dont want to do that again, if you want aptasia x I have some I can give you as I don't use it anymore, but good luck!

Jkelley

no I'll try your kalk suggestion.

I bought a piece or rock loaded with green zo's and tonight im notice bubble tentacils appearing on one side of the rock???? Any thoughts?

Darth

pics help a lot with trying to identfy hitchhickers

Jkelley

Quotepics help a lot with trying to identfy hitchhickers
I'm not sure my camera phone will take a nice pic, and furthermore the damn thing only appears at night??? About 6 clear tenticles with bubble looking tips? They are cylinder shape not edghy like aiptasia.??

I'll try to get a photo of it and post.

Vincenzo.

Know the best solution?

1. Time & Water changes.

Chems are not solution..bandaid

Jkelley

thanks VINCE,

I am now a professional App Zapper

Darth

Quote from: Vince. on September 20, 2012, 04:02:17 PM
Know the best solution?

1. Time & Water changes.

Chems are not solution..bandaid
neither time nor water changes will kill aptasia

Vincenzo.

^ur crappy water is what they thrive in.

Jkelley

my water is great??? RO/DI and parameters are fan frickintastic.  I know where the app came from and why it spread.  It has little to do with bad water

Greatwhite

:)  I've seen aptasia on many frags from some fishy shops...  One place actually advised me against getting a zoa colony because of aptasia hiding on the back of a rock.  (other places just don't care and will sell anything)

What I've done in the past that has worked well with small quantities of aptasia is the kaulkwasser paste trick.  Mix kaulk and water, stick it in a meat injector/syringe (I have a large syringe that is meant to squirt syrup into ham, etc).  Jam the end into the aptasia's mouth, and pull the trigger.

It burns it off real nice.  Just watch out for surrounding corals, cuz they don't like it much.

Darth

Quote from: Vince. on September 20, 2012, 04:19:32 PM
^ur crappy water is what they thrive in.
sorry I disagree, they can thrive as long as they are fed

Roxanne

Peppermint shrimp worked well for me.  Had quite a bit of it and tried Aptaisia X before with no success (would all be back within a week).

Wooki

+1 for the kalk paste.  Someone gave me some aptasia-X and I don't find it as good as kalk paste even though i'm sure aptasia-X is mostly kalk. I've never tried kalk with frozen food, but that sounds like an interesting idea.

One thing with a file fish is that they can eat your corals.  I got a file fish, not because of aptasia, but just because I really like the look of the fish.  However, even though the previous owner said it never touched my corals, it started to eat my torches and hammers.

180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

sylros

Quote from: Jkelley on August 15, 2012, 03:51:00 PM
I'm noticing Apptaisia appearing in a patch of my zo's?  How do I kill the unwanted bugger.

And yes I'm new at the hobby
Do u have a qt tank? If so it would be good to put these zo's there with 2 peppermint shrimps. This way your display tank stays clean. Oh yeah do not feed the shrimps as they won't be hungry for the app. Worked  for me.

bandit

Vinaigre seems to work best for me I inject with needle at the base. Best if you can take it out of tank and soak in vinaigre

Eb0la

I have sum bad nemonies (aptasiers) right now and need two get ride of them. What an where do get vinaigre from?  Big Al's sale it?  Its the closet LFS to me.

Darth

Eb0la

o.. thx darth!  Lowblows here I go!