New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

My clownfish laid eggs

Started by Darth, August 16, 2012, 05:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

So after having the fish for just about 2 years, I bought them from aqua valley as false percs, they were really small, they never really seemed to pair up but I guess eventually they did, my false percs grew up into what I believe are onyx clowns, and now they have laid eggs ( I know they will never hatch, and live) but wow I am just so excited, I love this hobby, it never ceases to amaze me
the proud parents

you can kind of see the eggs between them they are little orange spots, having a hard time getting a clear shot of them as they keep fanning them

here you can see the end of the clutch a bit better

Stussi613

That's the best feeling you van get in this hobby, IMO. Congrats!
I haz reef tanks.

Darth

Quote from: Stussi613 on August 16, 2012, 05:34:05 PM
That's the best feeling you van get in this hobby, IMO. Congrats!
it really is I was looking at the tank and the clowns moved and I was like what the heck is that rust LOL I looked closer and saw they were eggs, I was elated coolest thing ever!! Man are they protective too, my foxface can't get 6 inches near them without being chased off, it is truley just awesome!! I will try and get some better pics later
thanks

shannon333

Wow!!
Congrats :0)
Betcha they hatch.
It's to get them to live past being eaten ,though ,in a community tank.
Happy for You !!

Darth

yeah I don't see me being able to raise them as of yet, maybe if they keep laying eggs, I may look into trying to raise them, but I was just excited they mated LOL

Stussi613

Quote from: Darth on August 16, 2012, 09:13:51 PM
yeah I don't see me being able to raise them as of yet, maybe if they keep laying eggs, I may look into trying to raise them, but I was just excited they mated LOL

It's the ultimate indication that you've succeeded in providing them with a habitat that they are happy in. I wish you the best of luck!
I haz reef tanks.

moused

Quote from: Darth on August 16, 2012, 09:13:51 PM

Just a FYI...My clownfish lay like every 10-12 days now, have been for months and months.  I looked into bringing them up and talked with a few people that have done it (as well as the fish stores), but what a big ordeal to bring them up (food being the hardest part by far).  Just thought i'd forwarn you before trying to look into it.  But if you are thinking about it have a read on a good article I found back in the day:
raising-clownfish-101

Also trying to get them lay on a rock that you can take out(that is not attached to the anenome) is very tricky.  My clowns are definetly not picky about laying anymore...the anemone has even moved(I think do to being annoyed at being picked at by the clowns) and they still followed it and have layed several times.

Darth

yeah I dont plan on doing it, as I dont' have the resources, I have previously read about though, and feeding them phtyo and what not, as I said it was just cool they did it, and maybe sometime down the road I may try my hand at raising them who knows but thanks for the info, I assume you have never tried to raise them yourself?

moused

no I have not tried. after I found out what it took to culture the food (in all the differnt sizes) and the amount of water changes, i opted not to take on such a large task.
I might do it one day when I have more time.  but just not fesible right now.
I was talking with 2 differnt fish stores and it requires mutiple feedings a day and water changes every day. ontop of the culturing of the food.

az

>:( I missed that one for sure hard to say what they are when that small good for you Steve.......thats a beautiful pair.

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Darth

Quote from: az on August 19, 2012, 10:31:21 AM
>:( I missed that one for sure hard to say what they are when that small good for you Steve.......thats a beautiful pair.

thanks Az, yeah they were too small to think they were anything else but false percs at the time, they didnt color up for about 2 months, and yes they are awesome! Always top notch livestock from aqua valley