New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2500G Pond Build

Started by bergenm, August 18, 2012, 04:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bergenm

I've been posting about non-fish related topics recently, so I thought I would post something fish related...

I built a pond back in 2010, it's approx. 2500 gallons, 10' x 20', home to 8 large koi, lots of babies and everything else from snakes to frogs and anything else that can find a way into my backyard...

This was the excavation...

Michael

bergenm

Clearing for the berm and garden...
Michael

bergenm

Building the support wall (the yard is on a slope) and the plumbing...
Michael

bergenm

Adding the liner and rocks...
Michael

bergenm

Building the surrounding garden...
Michael

bergenm

Adding the bridge and plants...
Michael

bergenm

Some of the fish and wildlife...
Michael

bergenm

Michael

bergenm

Michael

bergenm

I'll add some more pictures next time I have the camera out - the plants have enjoyed this hot sunny summer...  
Michael

pm

I have never really wanted a pond... Until now  :)

You did a great job. It looks very tranquil and calming.

lucius

Where's the applause emoticon! Wow.  8)

Fishnut

Fantastic job!!

How deep is it in the middle?

Where did you rent the excavator from and aprox how much did the rental cost?

Did you use that stone adhesive on the barrier wall?

Oh yes...

Is there a bottom drain or are you using an internal pump?

What is your filtration like?

bergenm

Thanks for the compliments.

QuoteHow deep is it in the middle?

30" in the middle... unless you work for the city then it's 24"...  ;D

QuoteWhere did you rent the excavator from and approx how much did the rental cost?

We rented it from National - with delivery and pick up I think we paid $450 for the day.

QuoteDid you use that stone adhesive on the barrier wall?

PCL adhesive, cedar spikes behind the bricks and then the garden soil comes up to the top of the bricks.

QuoteIs there a bottom drain or are you using an internal pump?

No bottom drain, just an internal pump (3000 gph) in the skimmer. I am debating putting in a retro-drain in the rare case I do a water change.

QuoteWhat is your filtration like?

Skimmer - pre-filter and a filter mat

Waterfall - two filter mats, ceramic tubes, lava rock, bio-ball and barley straw

The biggest part of the filtration are the plants, lots and lots of plants...

Michael

Stussi613

Wow, your own private oasis. Great job!
I haz reef tanks.

Fishnut

Quote from: bergenm on August 18, 2012, 09:20:53 PM
30" in the middle... unless you work for the city then it's 24"...  ;D

We rented it from National - with delivery and pick up I think we paid $450 for the day.

Lol...it looks like your fence is high enough to allow for something deeper anyways :)

Someone's shovel is going in the ground for my pond as soon as the ground is soft in the spring....a contractor's or maybe I'll let my husband rent a big toy for a day!

Again, great job!  In a couple of years when all the plants are even more established, this is going to look even better!!

daworldisblack

Wow! Amazing! Nice job !
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Peekay

exv152

At first I wasn't sure how it would work placing the pond in the centre of the yard, but you've made it a very elegant centerpiece and focal point for the yard, awesome job! I especially like the koi and the flower pics. How long did it take for the entire project to be completed, start to finish?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

I was wondering about evaporation... did you have to top up this summer when a month went by with no rain?  do you have to dechlorinate the water you add?

bergenm

QuoteAt first I wasn't sure how it would work placing the pond in the centre of the yard, but you've made it a very elegant centerpiece and focal point for the yard, awesome job! I especially like the koi and the flower pics. How long did it take for the entire project to be completed, start to finish?

Thanks - we wanted it as the centerpiece of the garden, where we could sit, drink our coffee and watch the fish and wildlife... It took my wife and I about three months working at it in the evenings and on the weekends.

QuoteI was wondering about evaporation... did you have to top up this summer when a month went by with no rain?  do you have to dechlorinate the water you add?

We would lose 100~150 gallons a week during the summer - that was a combination of evaporation, the plants absorbing the water, all the birds/animals that drink and bath from the pond, along with the water I use for cleaning the filters.

I am on city water so I have to take out the chloramine - I use Seachem SAFE so it is very cost effective...

Here are some pictures from today...
Michael

dbl_dbl

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Rybren

120G Reef

wrm130

OMG That's incredible!  GREAT job!

greenthumbs

Great job....Two green thumbs up. I love the bridge as well. Did you have any issues with racoons or skunks? or any other unforeseeable circumstances?

bergenm

So far no major problems... the biggest problem we have would be garter snakes, we are forever pulling them out of the pond. They come in to eat the frogs and the baby koi, mind you the frogs eat the baby koi as well...
Michael

Jellyanne

Is this pond still running? I would love an update.

We are planning ours and hope to find tips and things to check before building it

Thanks

Celine
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

bergenm

It's still running, going on 7 years now.

7 large koi, 8 yearlings and a few babies from this year.
Michael

bergenm

A wet summer has resulted in lots of frogs and garter snakes showing up around the edges.

We had to add some extra security (fencing, fishing line, wind chimes & motion sensors) around the pond over the summer as we had a night heron attempting to access the pond.
Michael

Jellyanne

Thank you!

It still looks amazing!
You really have a little piece of paradise right there in your yard.

Celine
Jellyanne

Starting over with new tanks and new types of fish!

Dxpert

Great looking pond build! What type of damage can a heron do to the pond? Would it eat "everything"?

bergenm

QuoteWhat type of damage can a heron do to the pond? Would it eat "everything"?

A night heron would clear out the frogs, snakes and any koi 6" or less. A blue heron would clear out all of the 20" koi (they have even been known to eat rabbits and ground hogs).
Michael