New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

pairing clownfish

Started by tophoo, August 23, 2012, 07:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tophoo

So, I recently decided to get a clown buddy for me b/w oc.  I do like the look of pairing clowns. 

I added a orange oc.clown (3/4") a couple days ago and the bigger b/w oc,clown (1.5") won't leave him alone. She drives Him to the corner on top of a maxijet that i have.  His back fin looks like there's a couple of nibbles out of it.  Is this behavior normal or is this something i should be worried about? Is this part of the pairing ritual?

Greatwhite

I have heard that they will only pair if they are the same species -- and color...  but might be wrong on that.

They will fight to determine who gets to be the female.  The bigger/tougher one will end up being female.  There will be fights and jerky dance moves until the winner is determined.

.... they are also territorial, and your first clown may just kill the new one.  You never can tell what fish are going to do.

zoom111

I have seen different color clowns from the same species pair, but its always a hit or miss.

I tried the same thing to pair a smaller black clown with my bigger orange one. The bigger clown did not leave him alone even after he submits to her, multiple times.  In the end I gave away the small black clown because it wasn't working out.

Cbellehumeur

you might have had better luck adding a bigger clown to the tank not a smaller clown.

Darth

what I did once before is took the new fish out for a few days and then added it back to the tank, not sure if I just got lucky and what not, but thats what worked for me

Greatwhite

I just bought mine together... I think they were about the same size when I got them... It took 4 pairs of clowns to get some "healthy" ones from Big Al, but I've now had them for about 7 years - and they survived Fish-ma-geddon a few times.......

tophoo

This is what I came to when I got home from work. Im glad everybody is getting along