New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

HOWDIE!!!

Started by Jkelley, September 11, 2012, 08:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkelley

I'm looking to challenge myself to a larger cube build (60gal) up from my 29 gallon cube. I'm still a newbie and was wondering how you experts would approach the 60 cube: with, or with out overflow?

SAltwater

Greatwhite

WITH overflow - always.  The less junk you have to put in your tank, the better.  Heaters, skimmer, yadda yadda yadda - all belong in the sump, out of sight.

Get the tank, stand and all the equipment that you will need.  Put it where you want it, and leave it there for a week without water. Then when you are sure that's where you want it - start filling it.  There's no moving it once it's full.

If you are able to run it with all the equipment with your 29 running at the same time, do that.  Get your cycle done without fish, and then once it's stable, move fish and stuff in there, and then you can decommission the 29.

Jkelley

Nice, should I start with new substrate? or can I move that over with my current live rock?

Hookup

You should research the benefits of Overflows a bit further.  There are lots of good sites/threads simply by searching here, or on google, reef central etc..

One main benefit that is often missed is the surface skimming attributes of overflow designs.... and the concept of low-flow or high-flow sumps needs to be looked at as well.

Saltwater systems are mini-ecco systems that are unstable if left alone.  The "hobby" is keeping it stable.  The reward is a beautiful system with healthy, growing corals and fish.

The successful hobbyist needs to have an understanding of the bio-load, nutrient processing, inputs and outputs of their system as well as basic water chemistry, lighting, photosynthesis and many more things to ensure that he/she can keep the unstable mini-eccosystem balanced.

There are very few successful tanks where the hobbyist just put stuff in the tank and did water changes every week.

Jkelley

;)
QuoteYou should research the benefits of Overflows a bit further.  There are lots of good sites/threads simply by searching here, or on google, reef central etc..

One main benefit that is often missed is the surface skimming attributes of overflow designs.... and the concept of low-flow or high-flow sumps needs to be looked at as well.

Saltwater systems are mini-ecco systems that are unstable if left alone.  The "hobby" is keeping it stable.  The reward is a beautiful system with healthy, growing corals and fish.

The successful hobbyist needs to have an understanding of the bio-load, nutrient processing, inputs and outputs of their system as well as basic water chemistry, lighting, photosynthesis and many more things to ensure that he/she can keep the unstable mini-eccosystem balanced.

There are very few successful tanks where the hobbyist just put stuff in the tank and did water changes every week.

Well thanks Eor for the uplifting note!  lol, kidding.

I'm doing my homework, however I truly value the guidance of the pro's in the OVAS community

Greatwhite

Quote from: Hookup on September 11, 2012, 10:21:10 AM

YES!!!  Surface skimming is a VERY nice benefit to a good overflow... But you can always mess up the surface skimming with a poorly directed powerhead, as I'm fighting with now.  I am just swirling my surface crud around because my return line comes out of my overflow, and it's just pushing the stuff back. :(  I think it's time to redesign my return!

A clean surface on the water is beautiful to see...

Hookup

Quote from: Jkelley on September 11, 2012, 11:06:15 AM
;)

Well thanks Eor for the uplifting note!  lol, kidding.

I'm doing my homework, however I truly value the guidance of the pro's in the OVAS community

Sorry, its not personal. 

After being around OVAS for a few years and currently one of the longest active SW forum members the trend is that 8 out of 10 people getting into SW end up broke and frustrated with all their stuff posted on the classifieds mainly because they look for opinion of the "masses" and assume that application of the general consensus will give them success.

This doesn't make me want to not help you.... but teach a man to fish vs handing him a fish...   Meaning, learning what a sump does, and doesn't do for your system is more important than someone's opinion on if you should have one or not...

It does sound like you're doing the right things and as you continue to research and plan, you'll get a lot of good advice.  The more pointed your question, the more valuable the feedback will be.  The more vague your question, the more varied (and typically lower value) the collected responses will be.

FWIIW, when it comes to sumps I recommend a coast-to-coast style + herbie overflow design using a combo of spa-flex and PVC. All glued and never ever use any hose clamps.  I like 1.5" size lines for the "down" lines.  For the return line I recommend a return pump with a ball-valve to limit the return flow as required.  Staying at 1" or 3/4" lines is very good, and a single input into the tank is also sufficient.  Set the ball-valve until you get an approximate 500gph flow into your tank and your done.  I do recommend a low-flow (~500gph turn over for your 60g display) sump and allow in-tank powerheads to create your flow in your system.  IMO this style is best as it gives you the most value and the most flexibility down the road as your system grows and changes.

Greatwhite

When I got into the hobby 8 years ago, I bought the "all in one" 55G Marineland kit from Big Al's...  I figured that it was going to  be everything I needed.  I then replaced the light fixture, bought a skimmer because it came with a Penguin Biowheel filter, new heater, and eventually a whole new tank.

If there was a forum back then that I could have gotten good advice on at the start, I certainly wouldn't have bought that set.

The key with forums is to ask the right questions, and then make your own decision based on the answers.  However - if you're given good advice and don't take it -- well, that's on you. :)  There's certainly a lot of experienced hobbiests around, and most of us have made pretty much all of the mistakes that all beginners make.  You might as well learn from OUR mistakes and avoid making your own. :)  It's less expensive that way.

Jkelley

QuoteYou might as well learn from OUR mistakes and avoid making your own.
LOVE IT!!!

Thank you both for chimming in on this, so to conclude this semi derailled train.....you would go overflow over not   ;)

Thanks to you both!

Greatwhite

Quote from: Jkelley on September 11, 2012, 01:58:47 PM
Thank you both for chimming in on this, so to conclude this semi derailled train.....you would go overflow over not   ;)

Indeed.. My first tank didn't have an overflow, no sump.  I had a HOB skimmer (Deltec MCE 600) that had room in it for the heater, but I still didn't like the intake in the tank.  When I upgraded tanks, I was sure to get one drilled and ready for a sump.

Now my only regret is that I bought a factory drilled, corner overflow tank...  Coast to coast is DEFINITELY a much better way to go

Feivel

Some great advice and good points.

To answer the question i would rince the sand or go new. And use overflow to sump. It hides things like heaters and reactors and leaves room for cheatos other macro  algaes and coral rubble or small peices etc.... Lots of benefits. Cheers and happy reefing.

Jkelley

QuoteTo answer the question i would rince the sand or go new. And use overflow to sump. It hides things like heaters and reactors and leaves room for cheatos other macro  algaes and coral rubble or small peices etc.... Lots of benefits. Cheers and happy reefing.

Thank you Feivel...direct...right to it!  cheers

Greatwhite

Quote from: Feivel on September 11, 2012, 06:10:33 PM
Some great advice and good points.

To answer the question i would rince the sand or go new. And use overflow to sump. It hides things like heaters and reactors and leaves room for cheatos other macro  algaes and coral rubble or small peices etc.... Lots of benefits. Cheers and happy reefing.

-1 for not derailing.  ::)