New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Banner fish

Started by jon1985, September 21, 2012, 10:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon1985

Hey Guys,

I was into Big Als tonight and notice some nice looking banner fish.  I had never seen banner fish in person before now and am considering them for my 220 fish only.

I was thinking 2 or 3.  Does anyone have any experience with them?

ray

Hi most are reasonably hardy and are known as "poor man's Moorish Idol",usually can be kept in a sm school and are reasonably inexpensive.They are considered not reef safe w/ the exception of the Diphreutes and are usually a peaceful fish.Good choice for fish only

Ray

Dakotamay

Agree with Ray. You should have no problems adding them at the same time. I just wouldn't try to add them at different times.
We have a Moorish Idol and he is a bugger. He killed an achilles tang after they'd been living together for almost 2 weeks.
I suspect he's the reason our flame file fish from Hawaii and our copperband butterfly died as well.  Giving him a run for his money with the new clown tang we just added. So far so good. But, clown tangs won't take any crap lol.

Hookup

There are two types that are very similar... one is the reef-safe schooling kind... the other is not as reef-safe (non safe) and does not school even in the wild.

Be sure you know how to identify which one you are seeing.

Also, getting 3-5 all at the same time, introduced into your tank at the same time will increase the chances of schooling, however i know of no one that has schooling fish ... after a few months it seems they get comfortable, recognize there are no predators, and the need for schooling disappears.

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on September 22, 2012, 01:50:29 PM
... after a few months it seems they get comfortable, recognize there are no predators, and the need for schooling disappears.

Tap on the glass every so often or scare them with a stick.. haha!  that will keep them in line ;)  
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

jon1985

I will have to do some reading up on these guys.