New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Insane Clownfish...

Started by Greatwhite, September 23, 2012, 01:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

So many people try to get their clowns to host an anemone and fail to realize that in a tank, they'll host whatever they can get.  I've had the same clowns for ~7 years now.  In that time, they've hosted a rock, a heater, a frogspawn (to death because of the sharp rock they live on).  They briefly had an anemone that ended up being a little more sensitive than my tank could handle at the time, and now they are snuggling up with a zoa colony. 

I wouldn't have given it a second glance, really - I mean - they are all over the tank most of the time... But they have recently started spending more time "laying" on my zoas.  The zoas didn't like it much at first, always closing up - but now they almost reach out to the fish and welcome them in!

Crazy fish... I think it's time to grab them a BTA!

Greatwhite

Ok..  They are a little closed right now, but they open right back up quickly!

Cheebs

Awesome! My clowns are weird too, we should start some kind of insane clownfish group, a posse perhaps! With better music than their human counterparts, one might hope.

Greatwhite

Lol. I almost wrote posse, but thought it would have been over most people's heads. :)

kole18

My clowns used to host a brain corals wouldn't sleep in nems.

Greatwhite

I don't mind my clowns snuggling up with the zoas.. They really can't hurt them.  The frogspawn got so "snuggled" that it got cut on the sharp rock underneath it, and it died.  At least with the zoas, there's 1/4" from the tip to the base, and the rock underneath is smooth.  It kinda reminds me of one of those "bowling ball" beds...

Darth

my clown used to host my feather duster, and knowing how skittish the worms are I was suprised it would keep the crown open for the clown to host it

Severum

One of my clowns hosts in a duncan.  The coral ain't too pleased about it. Every now and then the clown will hold a tentacle in its mouth. I'd love to get a photo of that happening.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Papou

One of my clowns is hosting an Alveopora the other the plating Montipora but at lease they swim together.

Mike62

My wife cant believe how deep into the anenome my clowns will get. She keeps thinking it will do something to them, even though I tell her that its been that way for thousands of years of evolution. And you should see them when the anenome goes into shrivel up mode for a few hours, they're totally lost.
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Coral beauty

Here is mine on an elephant ear

Papou

Darth

Quote from: Coral beauty on October 04, 2012, 10:16:04 AM
Here is mine on an elephant ear
nice this also disproves the myth that elephant ears will eat healthy fish

76brian

These little guys are almost enough to make me start a SW tank.