New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

spawning clowns

Started by Darth, September 24, 2012, 10:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

so I have heard that others clowns spawn every few weeks, since mine have started laying eggs, they have had a new clutch almost every week, as soon as the old batch is gone, a new batch is there, I can see the females belly swollen with new eggs, waiting for the old batch to be gone, so my question is, is this in anyway unhealthy for the fish? I can only imagine what kind of work it takes the body to produce eggs, so should I be feeding special food, or is this perfectly norman beahavior to spawn every week?

Thanks

Feivel

lucky. ive had a black pair for 2 years and nothing. i recently had another pair and added another bigger one for a few months and also nothing. i thought the second pair for sure. they were in a bare tank with live rock and no cleanup crew. i did notice them shaky shaky around each other. but never noticed any egg depots

Greatwhite

7+ years with my clowns and nothing here either.. I've done everything I could to do encourage them... You know -- constant Barry White, TV left on for them on TMN "afterhours"... Nothing.

Just stick with what they are eating, it's all natural for them.. And - free food source every couple weeks.  Whatever THEY don't eat, the rest of the fish will.

az

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Darth

yeah I not complaining I think the spawing is awesome, I just know like when birds start laying eggs, you need to increase their calcium intake because it takes a lot for them to produce the eggs, just want to make sure there isnt a dietarty supplement that I should be adding, my clowns are awesome and I would hate to lose them especially since they are wild caught beautiful onyx clowns, I had them for 2 years now, and just want to make sure I am doing the best thing for them